Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Physics Gripe about Nexuiz

Is it me or does it seem like nexuiz uses moon gravity?

i can sense that i am opening a can of worms here, but i am gonna go ahead and say my mind:

has anyone tried increasing the gravity a smidge, but also increasing the strength of the player models and weapons blasts?

the way it is seems a bit moony and floaty. its a little fun, but it feels like i am a feather swimming in marshmallows. theres no real sense of the mass of the player model.
i wish for xonotic to be harder and faster and stronger.

a possible compromise?:
would it be super cool if each player could configure their own weight to strength ratio? (not weps just jumps) that way the people who like to float like fat free muffins can do so just like in nexuiz, but others who want to stick to the ground better can sacrifice some float for some root. maybe this ratio will affect the look of the player model instead of the arbitrary and unrealistic way openarena and nexuiz did. fat playermodels should be heavier and possibly stronger, skinny playermodels should be able to fly through a map.

following this course of thought, the player's preferences affect the appearance of the playermodel instead of mere superficial decorations that ultimately dont mean squat.

Actually, it uses twice earth gravity Tongue

But Quake, with its different player scale, even uses 3x earth gravity.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Check out the current xonotic default physics, although you may need a lesson in how to move with them.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

(08-11-2010, 01:13 AM)teams Wrote: would it be super cool if each player could configure their own weight to strength ratio? (not weps just jumps) that way the people who like to float like fat free muffins can do so just like in nexuiz, but others who want to stick to the ground better can sacrifice some float for some root.
That's even less realistic. The force of gravity is proportional to mass and acceleration is inversely proportional to mass, hence gravity is a constant of acceleration at any one point. Air resistance can be negated unless you weigh next to nothing or happen to be playing in treacle.

What may make things seem overly floaty is that players can jump and fall an unrealistic height versus the real world, a common thing for computer games. It does actually take some time to fall such distances in reality too (you can work it out from s=ut+1/2at^2), hence we're not as far from gravity as it may seem.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Fruitiex's physics make everything significantly more grounded, even jumps I believe.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Gravity seems fine to me. Overly realistic physics in a classic style, fast paced first person shooter would completely ruin the game. If you want to see horrible floaty physics/gravity in a game, you should try playing Halo. The Halo developers must be a bunch of Martians if they think gravity should be the way they implemented it.
Once you go -ck you never go back.
This signature is licensed under the BSD license. There is no need to relicense your brain once you have committed it to memory.

wow, i guess i just have a laggy machine then. pardon me because i failed physics anyway. it just feels kinda floaty. i'm sure xonotic is going to be a better game one way or the other anyway.

There is no need to apologize by saying, "pardon me." There is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing one's own opinion and we all appreciate good constructive criticism on these forums, especially when it comes to Xonotic. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and please continue to do so. Smile
Once you go -ck you never go back.
This signature is licensed under the BSD license. There is no need to relicense your brain once you have committed it to memory.

Jumpvelocity was already decreased from 300 to 250 (iirc), this should already feel way better/faster. For comparison: Quake 3 used 270.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

For fast-paced games like this I prefer "realistic" gravity or greater, but with absurd lateral agility. I'm hoping UT's dodging mechanic makes it in. If it were up to me the jump would be low and quick but with an instantaneous rocket boost in whichever direction you're holding when you jump.

A jetpack with just a wee bit more strength than gravity, like in Nexuiz, would be standard on top of that. It would be activated with a more intuitive double-jump instead of a dedicated key and would have a kinda short stamina bar instead of a nearly bottomless fuel reserve. (I don't know about you, but I've never survived long enough to run out of fuel.) The idea here is that you can't fly across the map, but mappers can have fun making opportunities for shortcuts that are only available when no one's shooting at you because you have no ability to dodge when jetpacking and don't have enough stamina to reach ludicrous speed before needing to recharge.

I also like Teams' idea of allowing players to choose between UT-style jumps, which is better for fighting, and Halo-style jumps, for reaching higher ledges. Rather than my jetpack idea which gives both options to every one, Teams' variable jumps would force players to make a meaningful choice before even joining a game and has interesting level design ramifications. Put the slider on the Martian side and trying to jump out of harm's way just makes you a floating target, but you can get to all the pickups and take all the shortcuts. Put the slider on the other side and you can't reach all the health pickups but you can be much harder to hit and move faster where there are no shortcuts.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  nexuiz server in xonotic browser Cooper Hawks 19 16,339 01-01-2017, 04:06 PM
Last Post: Smilecythe
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] Farewell PCLizard 33 37,337 05-24-2016, 11:27 PM
Last Post: Beagle
  Wish to replace the xonotic music with the music from nexuiz Chromatose 19 19,675 07-02-2012, 08:20 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  Xonotic vs Nexuiz 2.5.2 - Core differences rafallus 13 24,501 02-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Last Post: hutty
  The best nexuiz videos MDWGUNS 144 138,370 11-20-2011, 08:02 PM
Last Post: PCLizard
  [Nexuiz Frag Movie] A unique frag B3RZERK 6 7,402 09-10-2011, 02:21 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Comparison between Xonotic and Nexuiz Exitium 34 38,532 05-19-2011, 12:30 PM
Last Post: Cortez666
  Graphics: Xonotic VS Nexuiz [WARNING: OFFTOPIC] Exitium 73 97,646 05-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Last Post: CuBe0wL
  bot AI and balance/physics configs Lee_Stricklin 9 10,414 02-16-2011, 11:31 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  An average day in nexuiz australia. ... 11 21,557 02-08-2011, 04:03 AM
Last Post: chooksta