Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[MAP] The Highest Ground (The Longest Yard remake)

Hi. This map is just remake of The Longest Yard from Quake 3/4 and Quake Champions. This map designed in red brick style facility in space. Map is done with design, but not fully with optimizations. If you have suggestions, welcome to comments). In little corridors on first floor there is warpzone.

Update 1.06:
- Make hurt-trigger higher
- Replace single logos with boards with logos
- Some improvements

Update 1.05:
- Fix walls bug
- Rebuild map in high quality (cuz new laptop)
- Make new waypoints

Update 1.04:
- Add lamps
- Fix some walls

Screenshot:
[Image: PAYHXBL.jpg] [Image: RLDvK0X.jpg]

Update 1.03:
- Replace third level platform sides from brushes to curves, make it with more round elements
- Replace some rock textures size, to make it more detailed
- Fix some elements, which is not fully connected with them nearest walls

Screenshot:
[Image: cIp4iQk.jpg]

Update 1.02:
- Fixed caulk bug on crylink floor
- Fixed bug with tile near central jumppad
- Add little rock part for crylink platform
- Add connecting bridges for highest place on map

Screenshots:
[Image: EI1WPk3.jpg] [Image: 6QoWF5I.jpg] [Image: wVApF7P.jpg]

Update 1.01:
- Fixed caulk bug on central
- Add clip box on vortex platform for broken tiles
- Make hurt box lower to make access for some rocks

Update 1.0:
- Removed unnecessary hurt-triggers from map
- Replace ground with rocks
- Rename map from thg to thehighestground

Screenshots:
[Image: ukTQhqK.jpg] [Image: hcj77Fm.jpg] [Image: 3GlB51Q.jpg]

Old version:

[Image: KL1HZf4.jpg] [Image: xQ7FtwR.jpg] [Image: LjKvDjO.jpg] [Image: XfcFwOZ.jpg] [Image: EMkT0CG.jpg] [Image: 05S0htF.jpg] [Image: SDXbtXp.jpg] [Image: CW6UnXR.jpg] [Image: nxdGE40.jpg] [Image: FY88PPV.jpg] [Image: fQAjQCJ.jpg] [Image: lV9vfpr.jpg]

Now you can download and compile map by yourself from my branch, PK3 you can find in attachments.
Enjoy Smile

Attached Files
.pk3   thehighestground_1.05.pk3 (Size: 6.23 MB / Downloads: 25)
.pk3   thehighestground_1.06.pk3 (Size: 6.14 MB / Downloads: 64)

I like it! It's got some fresh invention. Thank you. Hosted on BfgFun.

I just played this on buddyfriendlyguys server. I am seriously impressed. This makes the quake champions map look like a joke. Super smooth awesome map. Highest respect man.

Very nice work, looks like the best version of this map Smile

However, it seems that lightmaps are broken, and deluxe maps look even worse.  It looks OK if I disable them, but they are on by default, and it would look better with proper shadows.

Also please replace the pipes texture, the one used in the arch windows and lower parts of indoor walls.  It's ok on the ceilings, but looks bad in the windows and on the walls.

Nit picking:
These corners on the insides of the doors are annoying, you can get stuck on them:

These curved bits look weird because their textures are cut off by the curve:

Update 1.05 with fixing wall bug, rebuild lighting textures, and add new bot waypoints.

Thank you so much.

Hi. Will comment on version 1.05.

FIrst of all I would like to say that this is probably the best looking map I have seen on Xonotic. Everything fits together perfectly in terms of looks.

Now gameplay and layout wise I haven't tried this map with other players. But I have played similar map, so I guess I could make some comparisons with The Yard by Cortez: http://dl.xonotic.fps.gratis/the_yard.pk3
In terms of layout your map feels a lot narrower, but a lot taller. I kinda hate open maps and love vertical maps, so I would say it's a good thing. Your version also has more solid ground to stand on, which makes more room for fighting, which is also good. Use of warpzones is also welcome from my point of view.

Now I have some issues with your map:
  1. Why no electro, hagar & mortar? Seriously. Kinda understand maps omitting one weapon (like no vortex on warfare), but omitting 3 weapons?
  2. Too many good hiding spots. Breaks (already broken) LMS, and indirectly encourages goofing around. Some of the best hiding spots I found:
    [Image: vXimtRL.jpg]
    [Image: Qkoeut8.jpg]
    [Image: vm7N3jf.jpg]
    For that I would suggest lifting trigger_hurt zone.
  3. Parts with floating tiles. I kinda dislike that you can fall through the cracks such as here and on the platform above megahealth:
[Image: B2wzQzd.jpg]

Finally, I would repeat that it is a beautiful map. Something that I find even more impressing is that it seems like you limited yourself to only default Xonotic textures, which is even more impressive. Keep up the good work!

Also, do you know if any widely-played servers already host this map?

(05-03-2020, 01:31 PM)Winsalot Wrote: Hi. Will comment on version 1.05.

FIrst of all I would like to say that this is probably the best looking map I have seen on Xonotic. Everything fits together perfectly in terms of looks.

Now gameplay and layout wise I haven't tried this map with other players. But I have played similar map, so I guess I could make some comparisons with The Yard by Cortez: http://dl.xonotic.fps.gratis/the_yard.pk3
In terms of layout your map feels a lot narrower, but a lot taller. I kinda hate open maps and love vertical maps, so I would say it's a good thing. Your version also has more solid ground to stand on, which makes more room for fighting, which is also good. Use of warpzones is also welcome from my point of view.

Now I have some issues with your map:
  1. Why no electro, hagar & mortar? Seriously. Kinda understand maps omitting one weapon (like no vortex on warfare), but omitting 3 weapons?
  2. Too many good hiding spots. Breaks (already broken) LMS, and indirectly encourages goofing around. Some of the best hiding spots I found:
    [Image: vXimtRL.jpg]
    [Image: Qkoeut8.jpg]
    [Image: vm7N3jf.jpg]
    For that I would suggest lifting trigger_hurt zone.
  3. Parts with floating tiles. I kinda dislike that you can fall through the cracks such as here and on the platform above megahealth:
[Image: B2wzQzd.jpg]

Finally, I would repeat that it is a beautiful map. Something that I find even more impressing is that it seems like you limited yourself to only default Xonotic textures, which is even more impressive. Keep up the good work!

Also, do you know if any widely-played servers already host this map?

Thank you for responding.
Ye, about places for hiding - last time for me it's confusing too. I've found some texture bugs, and update this map soon. Of course - I will make hurt triggers a little bit upper now.
About hagar/electro - I'm not using them a lot, (electro I've never using because doesn't found it useful for duels, which I'm prefer to play). Maybe hagar will be good, and maybe I'll replace my "shaft-simulator" as machinegun, but IDK, is it a good idea Big Grin
And with falling through floating tiles - it was idea of this part of place, making some strafes maybe harder, maybe easier for this Big Grin
I haven't ever fall through them, and they looking for me awesome Big Grin
This map, I've heard, hosted on BFGFun, but I haven't enough ping for playing there without troubles Big Grin

Map updated to v1.06. The main change is placing hurt triggers higher than before

super cool, I really like the attention to detail in this one
great work Smile

Whooh, this map is looking excellent. :Thumbsup:
(Edit) My apologies about the typo.
Flesh is a designed flaw.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [MAP] Bloody Run (remake for Blood Run) AriosJentu 35 13,138 01-03-2023, 01:09 PM
Last Post: AriosJentu
  [DM/CTF] Sirlent (Soylent remake) (added CTF version) _para 7 1,668 01-01-2023, 01:03 PM
Last Post: _para
  [MAP] Holyspace (evilspace remake) _para 0 1,001 05-12-2022, 03:46 PM
  [MAP] Derelict (farewell remake) _para 0 1,419 05-12-2022, 03:41 PM
  Revolter: Rebel: Revrem long remake(extended) by Kotangєns Kotangens 2 2,615 12-31-2021, 04:20 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [DM] revrem (revdm3 remake) _para 10 4,276 10-13-2020, 04:21 AM
  [MAP] The Yard 2.0 [FINAL] Cortez666 24 30,916 11-19-2019, 11:39 AM
Last Post: snazz
  [CTF] Aviation (Evilspacectf remake) kuniu the frogg 15 16,849 06-28-2012, 03:11 PM
Last Post: noteven
  [DM/CTF/KH...] GreatDivide-X (remake) forseti 2 4,589 02-03-2012, 11:50 AM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Map Remake Coordination sev 16 14,888 01-15-2011, 12:21 PM
Last Post: Rad Ished