Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Vote(s) - 3.14 Average
[SUGGESTION] A Melee Weapon

In case nobody has noticed, DiaboliK, has no clue what he's talking about.

Errr ok? i just tested it. im not sure how i dont know what im talking about but im sure you are right since you know me oh so well. i'm the one who actually implemented the left handed mode to start with, but it was changed slightly not sure how, but then again i have no idea what im talking about.

EDIT: also if you want to test it do g_start_weapon_hook 0;g_grappling_hook 1; cl_gunalign 2(i believe) and restart the server and try the hook. there is not model for the offhand hook. but I dont know what im talking about.

Ok i see theres lots of ideas flying around in here. Your free to discuss this any old way you want ofc, but let me tell you want may and may not happen wrt to meele weapons in the official release of Xonotic during the next few versions at least.

It will NOT be a secondary function of the laser BY DEFAULT. As a option that defaults to off, sure, send the patch.

It will NOT happen as a default offhand feature, and the no way in hell the laser will be a offhand feature for that matter. As a option defaulted to off, sure. send the patch.

It MAY get included as default on if its done as a separate weapon. Again a patch for that would be preddy much a must since most of the devs are rather bzy just getting the stuff already planned in working order.

Any sort of function involving a swing motion needs the patch to deal with the player animations needed too.

And Contrarian, you would do well with listening to DiaboliK as he very well knows what hes talking abt.

(04-15-2010, 07:54 PM)Contrarian Wrote: In case nobody has noticed, DiaboliK, has no clue what he's talking about.

So you come in here and insult the people who actually do the work. That's brilliant, good job.

*shrug*
I stand by what I say. What DiaboliK wrote was utter nonsense. I know perfectly well all the great work he's contributed... yadda yadda yadda, sorry, I've never been good at compliments and praise, go ahead and hate me for it, I just can't bring myself to care that much. I did however try to keep my response short instead of berating him at length for all the falsehoods and irrelevancies he's brought up here... but it seems you demand it so here we go:

(04-15-2010, 07:01 AM)DiaboliK Wrote: A melee weapon does not need to be offhand because xonotic is too fast paced.
I can't decide if this is a really nonsensical argument or just a flat declaration with bad grammar. Either way, he hasn't even attempted to respond to any of the arguments posted here which support the claim that a non-offhand melee weapon is pointless.

(04-15-2010, 07:01 AM)DiaboliK Wrote: The laser is probably already equipped majority of the time anyways.
As already pointed out, this is plainly untrue.

(04-15-2010, 07:01 AM)DiaboliK Wrote: Also having an offhand melee is much more difficult to implement because it would require a new animation and bone tag for each player model.
Would an animation be good? Sure, more or less, depending on what kind of melee attack we're talking about. But is it really required? There's a lot of talk of knocking opponents back with radiating shockwaves, electric shocks or "a large glow of whatever the laser shoots." I seriously doubt any of these effects would actually require modifications to the player models.

(04-15-2010, 07:01 AM)DiaboliK Wrote: K.I.S.S. as vbraun already said.
...and it doesn't support DiaboliK's claims any more than it did vbraun's.

(04-15-2010, 06:09 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: So? Even if we do revamp models and more modelers come along they don't want to have to do 20+ animations.
This could just as easily be an argument against any other action. Walking or running? jumping? these all require animations, Oh no! I'll grant that the animation takes work to make, but that is not itself a valid argument against any function which requires animation (and an offhand melee attack doesn't require it anyway.)

(04-15-2010, 06:09 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: this also creates a problem with people who choose to use left handed mode. This would require a major weapon system rewrite and everyone seems to have their plate pretty much full.
The possibility of doing an offhand attack which doesn't involve your hands would seem to make all animation issues a moot point, which is good because I don't think I can get into my problems with what DiaboliK said about the left-handed issue without being really insulting.

Haha ok. I'm done. I'm just going to wait till you guys find the artists/coders or whoever it is that you need to make this successful. In the mean time, I'm going to try and implement vbraun's new laser function and see how it plays out.

Oh and by the way, I never asked for praise. Insulting me is definitely not making your task easier because currently I am the one rewriting some of the weapon system code.

I'm not sure what you think my 'task' is. I'm not trying to push any agenda, just writing what I think, and seeing what others have to say about it. I generally don't worry about sugar coating my criticism because I'm more interested in logic than how people feel. I had decided not to argue 'just because I'm right' when it does nothing but burden the community with hostility.

Obviously I failed in that respect. I didn't realize it until struggling to get back on topic in my last post. My initial comment to you served no purpose except to insult. And for that I do apologize, to you, and to the rest of the Xonotic community. I'll try harder to be nice.

Something like a shield would be funny, because of you can defend the flag carrier whithout getting hit
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(04-15-2010, 07:54 PM)Contrarian Wrote: In case nobody has noticed, DiaboliK, has no clue what he's talking about.
Although this post was asinine...

(04-16-2010, 02:53 AM)Contrarian Wrote: I did however try to keep my response short instead of berating him at length for all the falsehoods and irrelevancies he's brought up here... but it seems you demand it so here we go:
This post seemed reasonable to me.

(04-15-2010, 07:13 PM)Roanoke Wrote: I don't understand. Hook can already be set as offhand, so apparently left handed mode is handled somehow. The framework for offhanded weapons obviously exists, then.

And I am the one spreading falsehoods Confused

EDIT: Also, I was talking about swinging melees would require an animation.

Hm, there's no reason to start picking on me. I didn't claim you were spreading falsehoods. In fact...

(04-17-2010, 12:36 PM)Roanoke Wrote:
Although this post was asinine...

That's funny because you said his post was reasonable.

So I'm not allowed to disagree with you without being personally targeted for being misinformed?

No but his post claims that I'm making falsehoods and you are saying its reasonable so I'm unsure what to think.
and I never said you couldn't disagree with me.

maybe we could use this weapon only when there's no Hook!
but I think you should can pick up something to the shield... a laser sword that cuts of parts of the opponent would be great!!! but we will need hands!!! http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php?tid=265
MY NOOB STATS:

(04-17-2010, 05:37 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: No but his post claims that I'm making falsehoods and you are saying its reasonable so I'm unsure what to think.
and I never said you couldn't disagree with me.

I agreed with the counterarguments he brought up, not with the "falsehoods" thing.

what about the lasersword idea?
MY NOOB STATS:

What lasersword idea?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Weapon Balance Changes [PROPOSE/DISCUSS/REFINE] _para 2 1,808 03-19-2021, 10:43 AM
Last Post: _para
  [SUGGESTION] XonStats weapon graphs regardless of past games played Antares* 1 2,674 12-21-2016, 02:59 PM
Last Post: Antibody
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon Balance and Presentation 2016 hutty 28 19,663 07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon model ideas - Post here! Beagle 7 6,069 04-09-2016, 02:11 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Limited weapon slots & customizable spawn weapons MirceaKitsune 38 34,561 09-14-2014, 04:19 AM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] per-weapon/vehicle camera toggling Lee_Stricklin 5 6,156 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM
Last Post: kammy
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon damage Damasco 17 14,398 07-31-2013, 07:20 AM
Last Post: ShuffleShot
  [SUGGESTION] Share your opinions only on weapon balance! rocknroll237 67 52,299 02-03-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Weapon models and vehicle cockpit FOV independant from game FOV Lee_Stricklin 2 4,836 07-12-2012, 05:02 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Should switching to the already equipped weapon switch to the previous weapon? Loafers 11 11,566 06-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL