Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Server Hosting Issue

Hello all,

I have had a self-made server that I have ran off and on for the last month or two without issues. Today I ran into my first issue..
I recently changed from a wired connection to a Wireless 5.0Ghz connection and now my server will not show on the public list.
I already confirmed the IP address changed, I reverted that back to the one it had previously. Verified the new wireless equipment is running a static IP as well and even re-forwarded the ports both on my PC's firewall and the Internet Modem itself.

I cannot get this problem resolved and am looking for a little assistance.
If it helps, I am using a Linksys WUSB6100M usb for my wireless connection and the modem is a C3000Z with CenturyLink as my ISP.
Any insight/help would be GREATELY appreciated as our quarantine-based game night was thrown out the window with my family.

(04-28-2020, 11:07 PM)Saevus Wrote: Hello all,

I have had a self-made server that I have ran off and on for the last month or two without issues. Today I ran into my first issue..
I recently changed from a wired connection to a Wireless 5.0Ghz connection and now my server will not show on the public list.
I already confirmed the IP address changed, I reverted that back to the one it had previously. Verified the new wireless equipment is running a static IP as well and even re-forwarded the ports both on my PC's firewall and the Internet Modem itself.

I cannot get this problem resolved and am looking for a little assistance.
If it helps, I am using a Linksys WUSB6100M usb for my wireless connection and the modem is a C3000Z with CenturyLink as my ISP.
Any insight/help would be GREATELY appreciated as our quarantine-based game night was thrown out the window with my family.

This is from the manual:
"Your computer cannot communicate with other computers on your Wi-Fi network?"
"Make sure that the computers are powered on. • Make sure that the adapter is configured with the same Wi-Fi network name and wireless security settings as the other computers on your Wi-Fi network."

I know this is pretty elementary and straight plain silly and does not make any logical sense, but maybe you need to look at your SSID and security settings?

How do you connect from the Wifi to the Router? Do you use WPS? Have you setup any "Blocking and Filtering" on your C3000Z?

Also, check if you have some Win10 firewall settings on your USB device, the Wifi adapter. Turn of the firewall for troubleshooting. Have you tried a different USB port? Try a native USB2 port f you haven't tried it yet. Sometimes some chipsets works with other vendors, sometimes not. Try the different USB ports as they each have different chipsets, you know, USB3 vs USB2.

Some people have problems with the C3000Z on Centurylink. They state that "port forwarding" does not alway work on the modem, that you should use application list. In other words, it can be unstable.

------
It works if you use application forwarding instead of manually forwarding the ports.
Advanced Setup > Application Forwarding:
  1. Select your computer name from the drop-down list
  2. Select "Application" from the applications category list
  3. Select "Remote Desktop Connection" from the applications list
  4. Hit "Apply"
--------
Source: https://homeforum.zyxel.com/discussion/3...s-not-work

I guess that the Zyxel router is a little buggy sometimes? I always use a third party firmware on my routers. I use OpenWRT or DD-WRT on my devices. It gives you full control of the device and give you a better security as its updated regularly. I cannot find a version for your router though. Do you have another router that you can test? Are you on the latest firmware?

I can recommend Linksys and Netgear, but TP-Link may also give you a cheap stable router with eg. DD-WRT. I have used it on these: Linksys, Netgear, Asus, Soekris, Buffalo, D-Link, and more.

It is hard to troubleshoot something unstable and buggy, but a refresh or a new firmware install might fix some issues. Sometimes tables can hang somehow.
FAF - FERIS - COPENHAGEN - DENMARK - GNU/Linux  Heart
Homepage: https://feris-xonotic.net

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried my USB2 and USB3 ports already. No luck. 
I was able to successfully setup and have this working under a wired connection and the difference is the fact I am on wireless now.
I have looked at all of my settings on my router and can confirm everything is matched to what I had established for the wired connection.

There is honestly something simple that I am missing and just keep overlooking it..

Hi, do you use for both connection types (wifi/wired) the same router/modem?

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SOLVED] best and cheapest hosting provider ballerburg9005 37 7,062 12-18-2023, 07:02 AM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  I can't see my listen server on server list fnmain 1 661 10-07-2023, 07:28 AM
Last Post: Grimnack
  Server not visible on the server browser for others or me DankoLord 1 1,808 02-21-2023, 08:02 PM
  BaI server | South American Xonotic server (located in Chile) z411 0 2,743 01-02-2022, 11:36 PM
Last Post: z411
  Full server tutorial start-2-finish with maps & config from live server xonotic.us.to ballerburg9005 0 7,965 09-03-2021, 10:21 AM
Question [NEED HELP] Server uses 40% CPU whereas Nexuiz server runs with max 10% e-pig 6 4,961 08-19-2020, 10:17 PM
  [NEED HELP] Server dont appear in server browser abslimit 0 2,574 03-15-2020, 04:13 AM
Last Post: abslimit
  How to change server cfg on modified server veecho 4 4,302 04-24-2019, 08:15 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Free hosting for Xonotic servers MarisaG 8 6,248 09-18-2018, 07:06 PM
Last Post: MarisaG
  [NEED HELP] Xonotic Server crashes TF2 server Professor 2 2,940 02-20-2018, 07:50 PM
Last Post: Professor