Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How does stair traversal work in Xonotic?

Question 
Hey- long time no see Big Grin

This is a bit off-topical, as I'm rather asking about how Xonotic works, but I guess General should fit the question.

I'm making a little multiplayer FPS with a friend using Godot game engine and I am wondering how to deal with players walking up and down stairs.

How is it done in Xonotic? It seems most games use invisible ramps that players slide up and down, but it doesn't seem like the best solution to me: making levels will require a quite a lot more work and create possible errors.

How does stair traversal work in Xonotic? How did Quake do it? Is there some special logic or invisible colliders? If so, what logic is there? How does it work?

If you're wondering what's the game we're making like, here's the source code:
https://github.com/unfa/liblast
And a video (will get outdated fast):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3KvNeu4X54

Thanks Big Grin
[Image: BSF48.png][Image: HMITP48.png][Image: S48.png][Image: TLT48.png]

Well, I never made ladders, but I saw how they do it. You can make a column (from the thickest at the bottom to the thinnest at the top). There is netradiant such as trigger_ladder. He makes a full ladder
|¯¯|
|¯¯¯|                                                         
|¯¯¯¯|                                                      /__
|¯¯¯¯¯|                                                    \   \
 ¯¯¯¯¯¯                                                           |
but you have to jump if you choose this method.
The trigger_ladder makes a vacuum at the location you specified.
exec XonoticMod.cfg - my cool modSounds, which i get from finished games
Vote:
What is your favorite weapon?
What is your favorite mutator?
Play those maps which i made:
CTF: Trident_ctf, Revolter. DM: Checkfriend . Kota-dooM: Kota-dooM , Kota-dooM2
Stats:
[Image: 151702.png]

A video from unfa without music -.-
[Image: 249.png] Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out my Newbie Corner!
<ZeRoQL> i think i got 1 proper quad and that cunt halogen fuck me over with a laser

The logic Quake and Xonotic both use is fairly simple: while moving, if a wall of any size is encountered, the physics code moves the player up as far as the maximum step height, then moves them forward and snaps the player to the ground if any forward progress is made. If that fails it simply reverts the player to their original position, effectively undoing the step.
You can see that logic in action here: https://gitlab.com/xonotic/xonotic-data....es.qc#L200

Best of luck with your project!
[Image: 230.png]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Glowmaps on weapons don't work right. Electro glows red! XonoxSeven 1 2,018 09-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Mepper
  g_balance_sniperrifle_primary_tracer 0 (tracer OFF) does not work. YouRemovedBallistics 4 3,576 03-20-2011, 04:38 AM
Last Post: Akari
  cl_decals_time and cl_decals_fadetime don't work PineTrees 0 1,776 05-11-2010, 10:37 PM
Last Post: PineTrees