Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
xonotic accessibility for visually inpaired people

Hi. My name is Stanisław Przedzinkowski. I'm 15 years old, i'm blind, and i'm from Poland. I discovered this game while looking for some open source games i, or other people, could make accessible for visually inpaired people.
Thats not really an introduction, thus i'm not posting it in the introductions forum. I just wanted to ask you a few questions.
1: Is this game based on the oryginal quake engine or something differend like quakeIII arena?
There is a simple reason why i was wondering about that. Back in 2003 there was a project started that made the original quake accessible to blind people. Its open source, so i was just kinda wondering on if i could somehow get this game and AQ to cooperate.
2: Would you actually be interested in attempting to make the game blind friendly?
Thats a question i didn't really had to ask since this is a community driven project and i'm pretty sure someone wil take this to consideration and start working, or the blind community, which is us, wil start working on it alone. I just wanted to know if the sighted community would be interested overall though.
I'll just give you a few links if you are unfamiliarized with the audio gaming/blind community and would like to know more.
https://audiogames.net/

https://forum.audiogames.net/
The audio quake github repo: https://github.com/matatk/agrip
Thanks for reading and have a nice day.

I'm pretty sure Xonotic uses the Darkplaces engine, which in turn is based on the original Quake engine.

The only problem is that the directory structure is completely different than audio quake's directory structure.
I'm not sure if i'd need to edit the source code to make everything work. I'm not a coder though so i guess i kinda cant, unless i figure out a way to incorporate audio quake in to the game somehow. Also, is there a way to make the game full screen? I wanted to try it out just with screen recognition however when i enter the game and use OCR, it only displays my browser/desktop/what ever else is open on my computer.

(09-21-2020, 03:02 PM)stasp Wrote: The only problem is that the directory structure is completely different than audio quake's directory structure.
I'm not sure if i'd need to edit the source code to make everything work. I'm not a coder though so i guess i kinda cant, unless i figure out a way to incorporate audio quake in to the game somehow. Also, is there a way to make the game full screen? I wanted to try it out just with screen recognition however when i enter the game and use OCR, it only displays my browser/desktop/what ever else is open on my computer.

You might want to check out the Discord to get an answer on that.
(link expires in 24 hours)

For the fullscreen issue, that's really odd. Try re-downloading in see if it gets fixed.

@stasp, welcome! I did not know there are those wonderful audio-based projects out there. Very cool! Thank you for sharing!

I would love to see Xonotic accessible. I hope the following information can help you choose a good project to work on, Xonotic or not.

Darkplaces, the engine Xonotic is using, is a significantly modified Quake engine, so the effort needed to make Darkplaces accessible is probably comparable to making Quake accessible from scratch.

The Xonotic community had discussed several times about porting Xonotic to a more modern engine, but right now, we don't have enough volunteers with necessary knowledge to work on the engine. It probably means you will have to figure out most of the stuff about Darkplaces by reading the code directly.

I hope this helps. I'd be interested in knowing what project you end up contributing to.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Splash damage VISUALLY bleeding through surfaces Lee_Stricklin 5 6,781 09-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Last Post: tZork