Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] Mapping: Move permeable wall upon trigger

I'm new to mapping and trying get a "forcefield-style" effect (right now: a brush textured with effects_forcefield/forcefield1_a) to move linearly upon activation of a trigger. This effect should be permeable for players, so I've made the brush into a func_clientillusionary entity. From what I understand, the standard way of getting it to move is to place a func_door (with lip adjusted to the distance one wants it to travel) and make the entity that should be moved follow it using misc_follow. I've tried this for other entities and it worked fine for some of them (e.g. trigger_hurt), but it doesn't seem to work for func_clientillusionary. In NetRadiant's description of misc_follow, it says "Will not work with all entities", so where can I find a list of which entities it will work with? Also any suggestions on what else to use instead of func_clientillusionary would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
A minimal reproducible example .map file is attached (just rename from .txt to .map).

Attached Files
.txt   miscfollowillusory.txt (Size: 7.95 KB / Downloads: 1)

try a trigger_impulse or trigger_push you can attach them to a door via misc_follow

I meant just the visual effect of looking like a futuristic "force field", transparent with some glowy stuff about (hence effects_forcefield/forcefield1_a shader), not the physical concept of an actual force field. Sorry, should've been clearer about that. All I'm looking for is a player-permeable brush entity I can move in the way described. But I did some more searching around and apparently I could just use a model instead of a brush and it would be permeable by default? That would work I guess.

a model would work or texturize one surface of the door with common/nodrawnonsolid(a side you wont see anyways) then the whole brush will be nonsolid

From what I see the shader is solid:

Code:
textures/effects_forcefield/forcefield1_a
{
    qer_editorimage textures/effects_forcefield/forcefield1_a.tga
    nopicmip
    surfaceparm nolightmap
    surfaceparm trans
    cull none
    surfaceparm nomarks
    qer_trans 0.8

{
        map textures/effects_forcefield/forcefield1_a.tga
        tcGen environment
        blendfunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        tcMod turb 0 0.25 0 0.5
        tcMod scroll -.5 -.3
    }
}

Use your own copy of that shader in your map and then edit it adding this directive:

surfaceparm nonsolid

P.D.: Yes, models are nonsolid.

-

Oh I see, thanks a lot!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Netradiant, xonotic-mapping-support and maps dir? Gwlanbzh 1 1,448 02-02-2021, 06:57 PM
Last Post: AriosJentu
Bug [BUG] fish-eye effect, When you hit a wall Kotangens 0 1,041 11-02-2020, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [SOLVED] Game displays [x] joined the [y] team upon connecting Bloodthorn 1 2,687 09-16-2018, 01:44 PM
Last Post: Bloodthorn
  [NEED HELP] Mapping help shanajer_ 1 2,824 08-04-2016, 05:30 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SOLVED] Crash Upon Starting Second Level After Quitting First ehrenbrav 2 3,688 06-10-2015, 09:41 AM
Last Post: ehrenbrav
  [SOLVED] Problem with Invisible wall in Downloaded map Spiderhex 2 4,501 01-18-2014, 11:24 PM
Last Post: Spiderhex
  [SOLVED] Mapping not too user-friendly satuim 14 14,831 06-30-2013, 04:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic and NetRadiant: Start Animated Model with trigger event? Soelen 4 5,071 05-28-2012, 01:58 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SOLVED] Xonotic crashes upon joining server wormed 10 12,373 03-10-2012, 06:08 PM
Last Post: edh
  [NEEDS INFO] Bots get stuck or don't move at all rafallus 7 7,884 01-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Last Post: Maddin