Create an account

Poll: Mixed game modes in one game?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, sounds like fun!
66.67%
6 66.67%
No, boring/useless/dumb (please tell why)
22.22%
2 22.22%
I cannot say/Neutral
11.11%
1 11.11%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[SUGGESTION] Gameplay: Mix

Actually, this is not an actual game mode, but...

The basic idea is that there are several game modes in one game and the game mode changes right after the earlier game mode has ended. For example, the game starts with TDM and the team which gets first 30 frags gets one point. When TDM part is over, it's time for CTF (just 1 capture). The team which gets that capture gets one point. After CTF it's time for Keyhunt etc. etc. etc. The team which gets more total points wins.

All in all, there is a constant variation between game modes in one game, so one game isn't just plain CTF or plain TDM. This offers an exciting aspect to the gameplay when mission objective changes every now and then. First you have to kill all the enemies, then you have to capture the flag and so on. So there is no an actual new game mode, but just a mixture of all of these old good game modes. Probably this isn't the best solution for competitive play, but it should be damn fun on public servers. Please note that this game style only works on team-based game modes.

However, I have to note that this isn't completely my idea (just providing it to Xonotic is my idea) - this kind of gameplay is used on Killzone 2. And here is the video how it works on Killzone 2 (the team has lost Assasination game mode and right after that it switches to Search and Destroy and so on)...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJNepBrDhR0

What do you think?

Well, this kind of thing would require a fairly long commitment of time. If public players have an attention span long enough, this could work as a mutator. Would be a nice way to exhibit the gametypes.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

(08-22-2010, 03:37 PM)Roanoke Wrote: Well, this kind of thing would require a fairly long commitment of time. If public players have an attention span long enough, this could work as a mutator. Would be a nice way to exhibit the gametypes.
Of course there is a time limit -for example, if neither of teams cannot capture the flag when CTF mode is on after time runs out neither of them get a point and it's time to another game mode. That's why games cannot be too long. Of course one game can last around 15-20mins, but IMO it's not too long even though it could be much longer than normal TDM match.

If you want different game modes you can always switch server (or vote for a different mode?). If I want to play CTF I want to play that, and not switch around all the time :p

(08-22-2010, 03:51 PM)poVoq Wrote: If you want different game modes you can always switch server (or vote for a different mode?). If I want to play CTF I want to play that, and not switch around all the time :p
If you want to play just CTF, then go to the server which has no Mix mode on. Tongue

And I can see that you didn't get the point. This isn't about playing as many game modes as possible in one game, it's about constant changing circumstances and when objective isn't same all the time - and all this happens with same players on same map. If you want to experience different game modes just switching the server, you score is 0 again, map is different, players are different, ping is different etc. There is a great difference between this kind of gameplay and two servers with 2 different game modes.

A challenge to find maps that work well for that. And probably also a challenge to code this. I guess there is a reason why changing a gamemode (was it gametype <mode> ? Some command similar to that) requires a map-restart. Otherwise a quite interesting idea.

Something interesting I've discovered from Team Fortress 2 which I started playing rather actively as of lately: server often uses the same map, but rearranged a bit so big parts of the map are blocked out. Result: completely different map layout with the same theme.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

That is another good point, the fact that not all maps work for all gametypes. So you would generally be limited by the kind of gametypes the map supports. And let's be plain about that, a map can support at most ons, dom, kh, ctf, tdm, and maybe nexball.

The first step in doing this would be to have maps that aren't just ctf. CTF layouts work well for DOM and ONS, and pretty much every team map works for KH or TDM imo.

DM maps are, of course, DM specific.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

(08-22-2010, 05:32 PM)Roanoke Wrote: That is another good point, the fact that not all maps work for all gametypes. So you would generally be limited by the kind of gametypes the map supports. And let's be plain about that, a map can support at most ons, dom, kh, ctf, tdm, and maybe nexball.

The first step in doing this would be to have maps that aren't just ctf. CTF layouts work well for DOM and ONS, and pretty much every team map works for KH or TDM imo.

DM maps are, of course, DM specific.

I have thought about that, but IMO it's obvious so I didn't write it down.

I think it sounds like fun but there are so many gametypes... you know! :S
look at assault! There is not one server to play it! Sad
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(08-23-2010, 01:23 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: I think it sounds like fun but there are so many gametypes... you know! :S
look at assault! There is not one server to play it! Sad
This isn't a gametype, it's a mutator.
Look at minsta, lots of servers have it.

Played something similar in ut2004, but again in a clan/cup-game format, can't remember what it's called something like a mix-cup actually funny enough, where they play TDM,CTF,DOM,Bombing Run, good idea anyway if it's able to be done gives variety indeed Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Maps that promote Tribes-like gameplay Lee_Stricklin 3 3,316 08-26-2017, 05:15 PM
Last Post: hox3d
Rainbow [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: improvements that don't sacrifice gameplay lamefun 24 26,607 07-31-2015, 11:23 PM
Last Post: Drauts
  [SUGGESTION] Suggestion for competitive gameplay 6v6 Electabuzz 2 5,259 11-06-2013, 07:16 AM
Last Post: Electabuzz
Question [SUGGESTION] Gameplay Balances Retro+Blazer 21 21,637 03-21-2013, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Samual
Sad [SUGGESTION] More noob-friendly Xonotic: gameplay sacrifices to make lamefun 10 11,286 01-30-2013, 06:20 AM
Last Post: Halogene
  [SUGGESTION] Some gameplay issues (0.6) m4ce 10 10,136 04-15-2012, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Gameplay idea/fantasy/whatever... anark10n 2 4,171 02-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Last Post: Samual
  [SUGGESTION] Ideas for singleplayer gameplay ThePWTULN 168 183,954 09-12-2010, 12:58 PM
Last Post: ai
  [SUGGESTION] CTF Gameplay (mostly FC) Erusavion 9 8,929 03-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Last Post: Erusavion