Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] In game physics

What ever happened to the ODE implementation that was already done for Nexuiz as a test? Would be definitely cool to have Wink

Otherwise... have you though about implementing the ragdoll hack found in Cube2 (not full physics), or had a look at the Bullet physics implementation found in the Quake2 derived Ya3Dag ( http://www.ya3dag.de/ ).
Not sure how easy it is to port something from Quake2 to Quake1/Darkplaces. I am assuming though that it is easier than a full reimplementation from scratch.

If ragdoll physics are implemented (as a part of ODE?) we could use those instead of death animations, which would make a smoother experience (and less effort for modelers).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

ODE is simply too slow as far as I know.

As for ragdoll animations, they are theoretically possible with csqc players with bone control in code.

If you think ODE is slow, I guess you will not like a csqc implementation either since it is a interpreted language (10-20 slower than native C). Besides the quakec code doing this I have seen some time ago was horribly glitchy.

I think Bullet is a bit faster then ODE though, so that might be an good alternative.

The problem of ODE is not being generally slow, but being slow in some "evil" cases (e.g. an object wedged between two other objects). Even when using ODE for gibs, these situations happen a lot.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

The way the gibs fly currently is already quite neat, so no real need for change there Wink

But why not limit the number of things ODE is used for? If for example only ragdolls and hmm maybe vehicle physics are done by it, it should probably eliminate most of the "evil" cases.

But IMHO a full physics integration is not really needed for a game like Xonotic anyways, so maybe having a look at the Cube2 ragdoll hack would be the better option?

Btw OT: Is the animation blending implemented in DP now?

I like the idea to have ragdoll-physics in xonotic!
But only in the kills without gibs! (uzi, shotgun, rifle, nex/xon, laser, crylink, HLAC)
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Is there no way to improve the performence ? Sad ode would be so amazing 8D

Not really, it's a huge jump forward in terms of calculations, to have something that doesn't look bad.

http://urre.quakedev.com/

it's in QuakeC and tested in DP. Still not fully featured, but if ported to client side QC it could be used for cool effects.

(08-23-2010, 05:32 AM)poVoq Wrote: If you think ODE is slow, I guess you will not like a csqc implementation either since it is a interpreted language (10-20 slower than native C). Besides the quakec code doing this I have seen some time ago was horribly glitchy.

Twig is slower than ODE afaik, and the project is idle now.

Necromancing Wink

Now that client-side QC animations blending at bone level is implemented and working, it might be worth looking into that TWIG lib again for ragdoll death-animation support Smile

(04-03-2013, 01:49 PM)poVoq Wrote: Necromancing Wink

Now that client-side QC animations blending at bone level is implemented and working, it might be worth looking into that TWIG lib again for ragdoll death-animation support Smile

It's still slow as hell though.

If it was just used for Ragdolls it would probably be not so bad... besides it could be an option in the menu for faster PCs Wink

P.S.: here is a working download link to the lib:
http://www.quakewiki.net/quake-1/mods/tw...arkplaces/

Honestly, I don't know. As soon as you put constraints on the limbs, everything becomes complicated to compute.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Yet another physics and balance revamp Lee_Stricklin 3 3,813 04-28-2016, 04:14 AM
Last Post: Smilecythe
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Dial Indicator, Threat Detector, Tactile Feedback and Impact Physics MkThUnderwd 18 19,963 04-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: hutty
Thumbs Down [SUGGESTION] Ragdoll Physics MaXus999 17 19,014 01-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic Story draft (aka oh man this could be worse than physics) Minkovsky 15 17,616 10-13-2011, 01:53 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Got some gripes about the physics (Oh god not this $#!+ again) in the autobuild Lee_Stricklin 15 16,449 06-13-2011, 08:26 PM
Last Post: Friskydingo
  [SUGGESTION] My proposal on weapon and physics balances CuBe0wL 21 23,742 01-05-2011, 09:13 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin