Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Both menu tracks edited, which is best?

Please listen to both in full before deciding because both have been edited and will sound different to previous versions.

Menu 1

Menu 2

Cool

I like number 1 better. I like the transitions and the full, powerful sound. Number 2 would need more variation for a menu theme, I think. As it is now, I'd like to see number 2 as an ingame track (very well suited for that imho) and number 1 for the menu.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Number 1 is too distracting to be a menu theme. It has all of the elements of a good song (and it is), but I don't want that much complexity in menu background music. The small amount of variations in #2 are better suited for a menu IMO.
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

I have the same opinion like Halogene Smile
Both songs are really nice but number 1 fits better to a menu theme.

There is one small problem - we already accepted "rising of the phoenix" by master[mind] for the menu at least for the first beta release ("0.1beta"). And in my opinion his track is very hard to beat already.

However, this does not rule out your tracks, which are also quite good (did not try these versions yet) as menu tracks for later releases (e.g. a really polished, result of constant improvement from feedback from the other posters here, track could be pretty nice). A nice project would be starting NOW with the making of the "Xonotic 1.0 music", which could be the product of a long such process.

And there is always the option of having them used on maps, of course. We need a larger list of "approved" tracks for use on maps. Even if they are not included with any release yet, they will be immediately "auto" included once a mapper decides to use them.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(08-27-2010, 05:33 AM)divVerent Wrote: There is one small problem - we already accepted "rising of the phoenix" by master[mind] for the menu at least for the first beta release ("0.1beta"). And in my opinion his track is very hard to beat already.

O I didnt know, was there a poll?

I didn't, either. Must have been decided while I was on holiday or a closed decision within the dev's group. o.O

master[mind]'s track is nice, too... but it would be a shame if Sc0rp's tracks wouldn't go into Xonotic. They're too good not to be used!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Ooooh! Looks like a 1v1 competition for the final song... Big Grin I'll keep tweaking my song so be prepared SC0RP. Here's a thought though, there are several good songs for the menu, why not cycle between them at random, it's something Warsow does. Maybe transition between several songs, one right after the other. There should be a final poll though, I like that you enjoyed my song div, but I also don't want the community to feel shafted.

(08-27-2010, 07:58 AM)master[mind] Wrote: why not cycle between them at random

+1 for this idea, always hearing the same song gets boring fast. Many modern games do this anyway!

One side effect though is that if one track is really good and the others are crap you'll be holding your thumbs up at the loading screen that the good one gets selected this time. Smile That's why all of them have to be awesome!
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

master[mind] Wrote:Ooooh! Looks like a 1v1 competition for the final song... Big Grin I'll keep tweaking my song so be prepared SC0RP.

Its ok I can wait, I will change gear when your track sounds like some efforts been put into it :p

master[mind] Wrote:There should be a final poll though, I like that you enjoyed my song div, but I also don't want the community to feel shafted.

Agreed, there has to be a final poll otherwise we might as well call this game Nexuiz. I will be content whoever makes the menu track as long as its decided by all community members.

Cool

(08-27-2010, 09:59 AM)SC0RP Wrote: Agreed, there has to be a final poll otherwise we might as well call this game Nexuiz. I will be content whoever makes the menu track as long as its decided by all community members.

Cool

Exactly.

Edit:
First song would be a good menu song. I like it. The menu needs an irregular beat. The per-beat kick from techno doesn't work well because it's great for map tempo and pace which is why the second would be great for maps.

Well, if we make a final poll, one track must be a loser. I'd prefer if we'd use both, in different releases. But sure, can make such a poll - but isn't it too early for it at this point?

But [master]mind's track really had it easy, given that we had NO viable menu music track AT ALL at that time.

And now my personal opinion:

menu1 - sounds a bit dull (heights are lacking), but that probably is youtube's encoding - otherwise great
menu2 - sounds more like a track for ingame than for the menu, but a good one

Before I can do the poll, I need:
- the tracks in good quality ogg version, 48000Hz (as most sound cards today have 48kHz), properly tagged (also for autorepeat, i.e. LOOP_START and LOOP_END set to sample counts for a looping region)
- source files

menu1: like divverent said it sounds a bit dull. and i think the main sound (at sec 3) is not... cool enough and too dominant. it needs to be a bit different or it needs a second "instrument", i dont like the drums (they are a bit... too much), and the part from 0:16 to 0:43 is a bit primitive imo.
menu2: would be extremely (and i really mean extremely) cool if the already the menu would give you a feeling of action. right now the menu does... nothing. but if the menu would constantly be in motion... image it would be burning or something. or the background would show some race scenes or speed caps - THEN it would be extrremely cool.

(08-27-2010, 11:59 AM)divVerent Wrote: And now my personal opinion:

menu1 - sounds a bit dull (heights are lacking), but that probably is youtube's encoding - otherwise great
menu2 - sounds more like a track for ingame than for the menu, but a good one

Before I can do the poll, I need:
- the tracks in good quality ogg version, 48000Hz (as most sound cards today have 48kHz), properly tagged (also for autorepeat, i.e. LOOP_START and LOOP_END set to sample counts for a looping region)
- source files

I think this should still be open to all people who submitted tracks for the menu. Maybe put a 2 week deadline until the vote and then everyone who wants to can enter one track of their choice and then all can decide which is best?

2 weeks are not enough to make a good track... this would end up being more something like speedcomposing, with bad submissions to be expected.

Imho the first one is better ingame, and the second one is better as a menu sound. I just feel #1 is too distracting and doesn't quite have the depth of #2.

jaykay Wrote:image it would be burning or something. or the background would show some race scenes or speed caps - THEN it would be extrremely cool.

Yes, that would be awesome Big Grin
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I like 2 better
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

2 weeks are not enough to make a good track... this would end up being more something like speedcomposing, with bad submissions to be expected

;_; (chooksta likes speed composing)

(chooksta / wrists)

(chooky is dead now)

:^

Now that I think about it, the second one reminds me of a track called Mechanism 8 (Mech 8, UT99 track) and immediately makes me think of AS-HighSpeed (UT99 players should know what this is). It would REALLY own in either an intro/welcome to Xonotic type map you get to play after the tutorial (assuming one gets in the game and especially if the tutorial had Rising of the Pheonix just like the menu) or at a part of the campaign or singleplayer (IF one gets made) where the action peaks or really decides to get fun.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Music Menu sounds unfa 18 18,496 08-22-2014, 07:11 AM
Last Post: unfa
  Just remembered SC0RP's tracks Space Raiders and Xonotic Theme had dead links Lee_Stricklin 0 3,226 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
Lightbulb Brand new menu music from me SC0RP 10 10,196 08-27-2010, 10:27 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Rising of the Phoenix - Menu Song master[mind] 31 28,984 08-23-2010, 05:26 AM
Last Post: adriennbelly