Create an account

Poll: Should we keep telefragging?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes, telefragging is great!
45.45%
35 45.45%
No, get rid of this stupid telefragging!
15.58%
12 15.58%
Keep telefragging, but restrict it so you cannot telefrag team mates.
38.96%
30 38.96%
Total 77 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Telefragging

I like telefragging, and most times I have to laugh when I get telefragged.

The only time I hate it is when some troll uses it to get around FF restrictions and tk on purpose.

It mostly happens to me when chasing an FC and she is clever enough to backtrack. I congratulate their timing then. Where's I shoot the noob in the back on the other side.

Now imagine what that would be like without telefragging: The FC backtracks before you get through, you get bounced back (??) and only have to pull the trigger to kill her.
Right now it's the split second decision "Do I follow or do I wait", if I wait she could be long gone when I follow, if not I could get fragged.
Without telefragging, I'd just always follow and always have a good chance at catching the Flag.

Also game physics right now make you stop dead when bouncing at full speed into someone where they really should go flying.
That would be even more annoying when bouncing into someone on the other side of the teleport (if they don't get moved away) and would make blocking it way too easy.

On DM... it really doesn't make a difference.

I vote for making all three vote options server settings with defaults 'on' (same as now).

But also disallow repeated 'backtracking' by blocking the teleport a few milliseconds(?) after teleporting for this player from this side. Enough to get (tele)fragged on one side after the first 'backtrack' before the next chance to tele.

Pro telefragging
Contra teamtelefragging
Contra "reverse-telefragging bug" (where the one teleporting into you is the one who dies - remeber, we had that for a while. Just in case anyone decides now that it's a good "feature" Tongue)

(09-08-2010, 08:03 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Telefragging makes complete sense, even if you're not considering the code aspects. Much more sense than shifting the position of the person who's getting another person materialized inside of them.

Ok then the person teleporting into that spot should also die.
What is the downside to the "lasering them away" option?
On a map like Gasolinepowered (or space elevator) they could still be pushed off the map, but at least they have some chance to not die.

Hmm. Actually, it could be used as an extra propulsion technique. You enter the teleporter and laser downward while someone is following you.
Your laser + the tele-laser = extra boost to help you evade someone.

If there were alternatives to telefragging, I would probably consider using one of those on my servers. It seems too simple/dumb to just go with this same idea for teleporters that has been around forever. Anyone know if other FPS games have alternatives to telefragging?

(10-06-2010, 03:20 PM)Dokujisan Wrote: Ok then the person teleporting into that spot should also die.

That sounds actually quite exciting to me :o
EDIT: except it means even more casualities in teamtelefrags.
Eh, frag qualificative cumulation. Teamteletypefrag. Oh man, teletypefrag!

I see that people have totally different feelings about telefragging.

Maybe this should be a server setting, so everyone can play on server that fits his preferences.

Telefragging as it is now could be a default, and say "Anti-telefrag" would be a mutator that pushes players from the destination area just before the arriver comes in. Another one could be "Lethal-telefrag" as someone suggested: when one player is appearing at another one's place they both die in a nice gib explosion.

Then it should be easy to filter out servers that you prefer...
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

It worries me when there are a lot more pressing issues, but then everyone get's so worked up over telefragging..things never change.
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org