Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Easy-access FPS limiter and pre-tweaked motion blur

FPS limiter tied to cl_maxfps in GUI
------------------
MANY noobs (myself included at one point) to the previous game have had problems playing simply because a few things are not accessible through the GUI outside of the advanced options. Among those things is cl_maxfps which in my honest opinion should be tied to something that can easily be found. To me that's an obvious thing place in the GUI.

Motion blur tweaks tied to FPS limiter
------------------
Another thing that I think needs to be taken care of (I've actually begun work on this actually) is the fake motion blur effect. Out of the box on anything that isn't running almost exactly at 120fps it looks ugly. I'm in the process of doing something about that and have actually gotten it to look (almost) Crysis quality at 50fps. What I think should happen is that a bunch of pre-tweaked settings be made for the motion blur that gets tied to an FPS limiter in the GUI. I say for every 10fps (starting from 40 going to 200) there be a different set of tweaks made to the motion blur settings to really bring out it's potential to improve the look of the game. The tweaks would still allow one to set how much blur they want with 5 being the default like it currently is now.

Config file that has the motion blur tweak
http://forums.xonotic.org/showthread.php...0#pid12950
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

This actually should be a bug in motion blur that needs fixing. Nobody should ever need to set cl_maxfps.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

why should you want to limit the fps in any other way than vsync does?

(09-04-2010, 11:42 AM)jaykay Wrote: why should you want to limit the fps in any other way than vsync does?

Because vsync almost always causes some lag and occasionally performance decrease. I almost NEVER (not even in decade old games like Unreal Tournament) play with this on. Even if magically it didn't cause lag, players will still religiously turn it off.

(09-04-2010, 10:29 AM)divVerent Wrote: This actually should be a bug in motion blur that needs fixing. Nobody should ever need to set cl_maxfps.

I was looking for a way to set the fps because if you don't set a limit, it jumps all over the place and makes the game hard to play. Capping it near the lowest you know it's going to drop keeps the gameplay consistent. It gets really annoying going from something like 200 to 90 to 70 and then 40.

As for the motion blur, you can look at it as a bug, but given that it is a fake effect that is affected by the frame rate I don't see any real way to get rid of it (unless someone wants to bring in object-based blur). What looks good at 50fps does not look as good at 120fps and vice versa, that's why I'm making different settings for every ten frames per second starting with 40 going to 200.

Oh wait.

(09-04-2010, 05:53 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: I say for every 10fps (starting from 40 going to 200) there be a different set of tweaks made to the motion blur settings to really bring out it's potential to improve the look of the game.

maybe there should be more than every 10fps or a option in the options menu for:
- every fps
- every 3 fps
- every 5 fps
- every 10 fps
- every 15 fps
- never
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(09-04-2010, 01:43 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote:
(09-04-2010, 11:42 AM)jaykay Wrote: why should you want to limit the fps in any other way than vsync does?

Because vsync almost always causes some lag and occasionally performance decrease. I almost NEVER (not even in decade old games like Unreal Tournament) play with this on. Even if magically it didn't cause lag, players will still religiously turn it off.

thats just silly. lets introduce a "texture detail 2" option because players dont like "texture detail".

@rainerzufall: you didnt get the idea...

as i see it motion blur needs fixing, nothing more. i dont see any need for a fps limiter.

edit: i understand now why players dont like vsync. but i dont understand what a fps limiter could do better... and i dont understand why a fps limiter is needed when motion blur gets fixed.

I'm not looking to limit the FPS strictly because of motion blur! I'm looking to put an easy way to limit it because it fluctuates like mad if you don't which causes the game to run inconsistently. As for the motion blur that spun out of me tweaking settings (get the game to run as smooth as possible with as much eyecandy as possible) for my system and finding out that the FPS plays a major role in what it looks like. Also VSync in Dark Places just like any other game engine out there causes a sometimes noticeable amount of input lag and most PC gamers that have been around for a while have a habit of religiously turning it off. It should also be noted that this is not Crysis-styled object-based blur, but instead a blur that displays previously rendered frames and ghosts the screen. When tweaked it looks better than the real thing in some cases, when left alone however it looks like your playing on a bad LCD screen.

(09-04-2010, 03:21 PM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: maybe there should be more than every 10fps or a option in the options menu for:
- every fps
- every 3 fps
- every 5 fps
- every 10 fps
- every 15 fps
- never

I'm making a bunch of presets in the advanced motion blur settings by manually tweaking them so that it looks good for the specific fps range your system runs at. These settings could probably be tied to a frame rate limiter, but I guess there could be the option to tick a box to leave it alone just like there could be the option to leave the frame rate unlimited.

Oh wait.

(09-04-2010, 10:29 AM)divVerent Wrote: Nobody should ever need to set cl_maxfps.
cl_maxfps could be used for example for overheating reasons, on shitty laptops (like mine).
Fat.bot.Slim

I have cl_maxfps set to 40, indeed to prevent my laptop from shutting down from overheating within 2 minutes of starting a game. I think a menu option for this would be a good idea, I never realized it wasn't there already because I'm quite comfy at the console.
"Yes, there was a spambot some time ago on these forums." - aa

(09-04-2010, 01:43 PM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: As for the motion blur, you can look at it as a bug, but given that it is a fake effect that is affected by the frame rate I don't see any real way to get rid of it (unless someone wants to bring in object-based blur). What looks good at 50fps does not look as good at 120fps and vice versa, that's why I'm making different settings for every ten frames per second starting with 40 going to 200.

The fact THAT it is affected a lot by the framerate is the bug. At higher fps the motion blur should look BETTER, not WORSE (it should blend more images at lower alpha, thus looking approximately the same).
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Easy installer for Xonotic? VertX 7 5,905 08-15-2020, 10:11 AM
Last Post: TimelesslyPrecise
  [SUGGESTION] Add "FPS" to .desktop Launcher electricprism 1 2,690 05-22-2015, 01:33 AM
Last Post: machine!
  [SUGGESTION] Some ideas from my FPS experience simbian 6 7,537 02-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Last Post: thimo
  [SUGGESTION] merging with other gpl fps game making teams? mzoltan14 13 10,673 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  [SUGGESTION] Xonotic (pre)history aa 35 33,694 08-19-2012, 01:33 PM
Last Post: aa
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,276 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] Motion / kinetic powered weapon Dokujisan 18 22,806 01-01-2011, 02:56 AM
Last Post: Sir Emeth Mimetes
Bug [SUGGESTION] A Simple Pre-release? Fossiltalk 27 30,148 07-07-2010, 10:30 PM
Last Post: Fossiltalk
  [SUGGESTION] Easy fullscreen toggle, please! unfa 3 4,222 05-05-2010, 05:44 AM
Last Post: bones_was_here
  [SUGGESTION] Pre-determined Player models based on Map r0tt 8 8,714 04-02-2010, 12:26 PM
Last Post: Sepelio