Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Gibs, decals, corpses and other tweaks

Gibs
------------
I tweak two advanced settings on my game to improve the look and performance. Here are those settings, in my opinion these should be made default since they're completely out of the way of your average user who doesn't know much about the game settings.

cl_gibs_velocity_up "1" This makes the gibs fly up a little bit making them more believable. The game looks a hell of a lot better with this turned on.

cl_gibs_lifetime "4" I set this for two reasons: A it looks better because when idle the gibs don't exactly look that great, so I have it set to make them fade before they have a chance to stay still. B: Having a bunch of gibs lying around kills performance.

Decals
-------------
This may be more of a resource hog, but I do not like how the decals just disappear and instead set them to fade. In my honest opinion the decal time in the GUI should be tied to cl_decals_fadetime instead of cl_decals_time and cl_decals_time should be set to 1. The game looks A LOT smoother with decal fading instead of decal disappearing.

Corpses
-------------
I don't know how to (or if it's possible) to tweak the times on the corpses, but in my opinion the time it takes for them to disappear should be reduced as well since the clutter they cause can seriously screw up shots (electo and mortar in particular). If doable I think it would improve the game to have corpses disappear maybe a second or two after the victim respawns. A fancy animation (think Quake Live gibbings or Unreal Championship 2 corpse removals) while unnecessary would make it look neater.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Just a note, I keep my gibs turned off, not because my computer can't handle the load, but because it's distracting and kinda gross. Also gibs give red team advantage, because to blue it looks like there's more/red blends in better. Maybe they should be green?

When somebody dies in lava, their corpse should light up, like when they get hit with a firemine. But I guess this would hog frame rates on some maps.

Smile

Gibs and blood are green for alien species, purple/gray for robotic models.

but it's a good idea to have different kinds of deaths and following blood/gibs
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

(08-31-2010, 05:11 AM)Lee_Stricklin Wrote: Gibs
------------
I tweak two advanced settings on my game to improve the look and performance. Here are those settings, in my opinion these should be made default since they're completely out of the way of your average user who doesn't know much about the game settings.

cl_gibs_velocity_up "1" This makes the gibs fly up a little bit making them more believable. The game looks a hell of a lot better with this turned on.

cl_gibs_lifetime "4" I set this for two reasons: A it looks better because when idle the gibs don't exactly look that great, so I have it set to make them fade before they have a chance to stay still. B: Having a bunch of gibs lying around kills performance.

Decals
-------------
This may be more of a resource hog, but I do not like how the decals just disappear and instead set them to fade. In my honest opinion the decal time in the GUI should be tied to cl_decals_fadetime instead of cl_decals_time and cl_decals_time should be set to 1. The game looks A LOT smoother with decal fading instead of decal disappearing.

Corpses
-------------
I don't know how to (or if it's possible) to tweak the times on the corpses, but in my opinion the time it takes for them to disappear should be reduced as well since the clutter they cause can seriously screw up shots (electo and mortar in particular). If doable I think it would improve the game to have corpses disappear maybe a second or two after the victim respawns. A fancy animation (think Quake Live gibbings or Unreal Championship 2 corpse removals) while unnecessary would make it look neater.

Did all this in fruitiex/gibeffectfix.
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

nice! it's done Smile
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

I really like the cl_gentle 1 gibbing, it doesn't kill your framerate and it actually makes sense (like Crysis) Big Grin

I actually found that when I disable gibs, I get a whole lot more frags.
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Try also cl_gentle_gibs 2, and 3 Smile
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

(09-01-2010, 01:17 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: I really like the cl_gentle 1 gibbing, it doesn't kill your framerate and it actually makes sense (like Crysis) Big Grin

I actually found that when I disable gibs, I get a whole lot more frags.

Personally I always thought Deus Ex (at least the PS2 version, it's been awhile since I played the PC ones) had the most convincing way of letting you know you pulverized someone by leaving almost nothing of them behind except a bit of blood scattered here and there after they explode into a red/pink mist. That would look good on some of the most brutal frags in this game.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] x Frags Left should come before other announcements gd 0 1,443 06-21-2023, 11:27 AM
Last Post: gd
  [SUGGESTION] A way to speak with other players ? Fyley 3 4,710 11-25-2015, 06:38 PM
Last Post: Ch4mp
  [SUGGESTION] Tuba in maps other than Xoylent GrEnAdE 6 6,800 07-29-2014, 05:22 PM
Last Post: end user
  [SUGGESTION] Advanced Options tweaks that should maybe be default Lee_Stricklin 16 18,774 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Last Post: edh
  [SUGGESTION] merging with other gpl fps game making teams? mzoltan14 13 10,755 08-31-2012, 03:02 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  [SUGGESTION] step - sounds - decals hutty 10 10,449 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] A few simple tweaks rafallus 7 7,516 06-02-2012, 11:07 AM
Last Post: rafallus
  [SUGGESTION] Simple tweaks to improve bot AI rafallus 28 28,913 05-10-2012, 07:46 PM
Last Post: W4RP1G
  [SUGGESTION] gibs/corpses that dissappear on player respawn and subtle disappearing decals Lee_Stricklin 1 4,176 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  [SUGGESTION] Orange base and blue base instead of red and blue base? kay 24 19,423 06-07-2011, 02:00 AM
Last Post: divVerent