Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[NEED HELP] Private server is not private

Greetings,

I've been on-and-off hosting a dedicated server of my own on Xonotic for some friends, and I have had sv_public in the server config set to 0, and i have tried setting it to -1 after seeing this thread, only to find that my server is still listed on the master server, when I want it to not be visible publicly and instead only accessible by IP.

I've tried setting sv_public in the console of the server too, but it still shows up in the public server list even then. In addition I know the configuration file is working fine (which is located in ~/.xonotic/data/)

What am I doing wrong? Am I missing something?

it's a shame you can't set a server password, hopefully that's something that can be implemented later down the line.

Thanks in advance.

I don't run a server anymore (since there are plenty of good servers already), but these are from my notes:

Code:
// sv_public determins the level of server publicity
// 1: advertises this server on the master server (so that players can find it in the server browser);
// 0: allow direct queries only;
// -1: do not respond to direct queries;
// -2: do not allow anyone to connect
sv_public -1 // 1: advertises this server on the master server (so that players can find it in the server browser); 0: allow direct queries only; -1: do not respond to direct queries; -2: do not allow anyone to connect
sv_status_privacy 1>// 1 hides IP addresses from "status" replies shown to clients, 0 shows them. Enables players to identify wellknown punks on your server OR is a thread to anonymity.. depending on your point of view :)

I do remember experience that my server was still shown in the main server even with the private setting. If that's still the case That might be an upstream bug that we can't resolve. 
An alternative is for you to use firewall to limit who can connect to your server.

Hey there, sorry to hear you're having trouble with your private server. Sometimes things like this happen. Have you checked out the is*hosting webpage? They have a lot of helpful resources for setting up and managing dedicated servers, and they might be able to provide some insight into why your server is still showing up on the public list. It's always frustrating when you're trying to keep things private, and they just won't stay that way. Hang in there and keep tinkering with the settings. You'll figure it out eventually!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [NEED HELP] Setup Dedicated Server to DL from Map Server mrhip 1 481 10-16-2023, 06:22 AM
Last Post: Freddy
  [NEED HELP] Trouble with setting up a non-local private server spaceenfix 3 3,605 03-22-2023, 12:53 AM
Last Post: FAF
  [NEED HELP] Making a Private Server LordIrish 2 7,146 03-06-2018, 10:37 AM
Last Post: LordIrish
  [NEED HELP] Server not accessible? ColonelPhantom 2 2,783 10-03-2017, 05:55 AM
Last Post: ColonelPhantom
  [NEED HELP] Server Not Showing Up on Server Browser Antares* 5 4,299 05-21-2017, 04:46 PM
Last Post: martin-t
Question [SOLVED] Xonotic Server is not visible r3d0xX 2 4,967 09-10-2012, 01:49 PM
Last Post: r3d0xX
  [SOLVED] Server not working. neXus 8 6,827 04-18-2012, 05:51 AM
Last Post: neXus