Create an account

Poll: Do want Xonotic.EXE?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes! I use Windows and I'm proud of it!
8.70%
2 8.70%
I don't care.
8.70%
2 8.70%
No! Microsoft is evil!
82.61%
19 82.61%
Total 23 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Xonotic Beta should be for Windows

Thumbs Up 
Since many of Xonotic players are Windows users, wouldn't it be great for Xonotic to be compiled and run under Windows, without all the MinGW stuff? It really lowers the framerate. I know that you want to use only open technologies, but face it - Windows has the most share in the OS market. I'd say that you should make it on OpenGL and then pack it in a neat installer (NSIS is GPL) and distribute it in a friendly fashion (ie. SourceForge).
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

Isn't Xonotic already using OpenGL? Huh I guess yes.

Is there a difference if you compile with MinGW or VS?

Ok, first off, microsoft is evil. Wink Secondly, I think a good amount of developers on here actually use Linux, and there's even a few of us Mac lovers on here; it's discriminatory to a larger amount than you think to just release to windows users. I say wait till we get the majority of the stuff we want replaced (weapon models, maps, etc.,), then go to the work of releasing it to the public.

Go Mac! Heart

(09-01-2010, 02:32 PM)nowego4 Wrote: Go Mac! Heart

amen!

and it will eventually be for all platforms. (like nexuiz was)
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

The beta will be available to linux, windows, and mac.

Three to one with the "Microsoft is evil!" option. Big Grin I love you guys.

(09-01-2010, 02:12 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: Since many of Xonotic players are Windows users, wouldn't it be great for Xonotic to be compiled and run under Windows, without all the MinGW stuff? It really lowers the framerate. I know that you want to use only open technologies, but face it - Windows has the most share in the OS market. I'd say that you should make it on OpenGL and then pack it in a neat installer (NSIS is GPL) and distribute it in a friendly fashion (ie. SourceForge).

you really should start reading the post. Xonotic ISNT beta at the moment, when xonotic hits the beta status the will be release just like for nexuiz

the beta should be for all platforms!
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

OpenGL is an open technology (conveniently, it has the word "open" right in the name). Also, xonotic/nexuiz use it.
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

it would be nice for windows to have a nice installer and not have to go though all the cmds and stuff, but i guess will have to wait for that,

i use windows and linux, although my linux is broken right now

if we want to be GPL-ish we need a "Xonotic.7z" Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:

Linux based systems > Windows based systems > Mac OS X based systems

Also Xonotic is not currently in beta and no matter what OS family your running it's entirely possible to pull the latest working version of it using various guides on here. It should also be noted that market share and user base are entirely different things and not very representative of how many Linux users are actually out there.
ECKZBAWKZ HUGE LIST OF ACHIEVEMENTS GOES HERE....

Oh wait.

There will be no Windows-only download.

We'll release like Nexuiz, WITHOUT an "installer". Just a zip file containing exe files for windows, Linux binaries, and OSX applications.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

pyr0 Wrote:Is there a difference if you compile with MinGW or VS?

Yes, I don't quite get what the deal is here. Why bother making two build systems so that 18.18% of people can use Visual Studio? What's wrong with GCC in the first place? And why should any one operating system get preferential treatment over another?

And if it's lowering your framerate that much, just switch to Linux Smile (or dual boot, because switching entirely isn't always possible/preferable/convenient).
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

I think the thread author thinks that the windows versions are slower than the linux versions because they were compiled with a compiler normally used under linux. Hehehehe. So that's why he suggested a "native" windows build. Again. hehehe =)

I think xonotic should only be released for TI-83's :p
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

(09-01-2010, 02:12 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: Since many of Xonotic players are Windows users, wouldn't it be great for Xonotic to be compiled and run under Windows, without all the MinGW stuff? It really lowers the framerate.
I seriously doubt that MinGW lowers the framerate. Like seriously seriously...

You're all just jealous Minkovsky has a Windows license.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

This is a null post. Anything discussed here is null and void.

Yes, the beta will be released for Linux, Mac, and Windows. Duh. As for building it, I trust the GCC more than I trust the VS compiler. At least GCC isn't trying to control our minds. Big Grin But seriously, the only framerate difference is simply the fault of Windows, not the compiler.

@dev's:
NSIS is a good idea, since it's open-source, and decently easy to use. It makes Windows user's happier.

Devs don't want installers. No need to suggest any Tongue

From this post on the autobuild pack:
(08-31-2010, 12:46 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: Great! Downloading. But still, can you (in future) make a proper Windows version with an installer and everything? It would really help.

It seems you're confused... As I replied:
(08-31-2010, 02:01 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: A proper windows version? The build pack compiles the development version, this is in no way an official release. This does not exist yet, and I'm not responsible for it (the development team is).
The development version this pack builds is pre-beta, it's incomplete and sometimes buggy.

The build pack does NOT compile the beta version, NOR the final version. It makes a DEVELOPMENT build, which is not what you seem to think.

Poll Wrote:I don't care. 9.52%
WTF?
I don't care if I can open the file or not!? Big Grin
MY NOOB STATS:

[Image: 03_bp.jpg]
nomnomnomnonmonm:
"the best trolls are indistinguishable from idiots"

(09-01-2010, 11:31 PM)divVerent Wrote: We'll release like Nexuiz, WITHOUT an "installer". Just a zip file containing exe files for windows, Linux binaries, and OSX applications.

Nuff said.

(09-01-2010, 02:12 PM)Minkovsky Wrote: Since many of Xonotic players are Windows users, wouldn't it be great for Xonotic to be compiled and run under Windows, without all the MinGW stuff? It really lowers the framerate.

Did you measure this?

If there is a difference, it comes from the set of optimization flags. Currently, what the development build system builds is a debug build, unoptimized. This is what is causing a fps difference for you, if anything.

(09-02-2010, 11:38 AM)master[mind] Wrote: @dev's:
NSIS is a good idea, since it's open-source, and decently easy to use. It makes Windows user's happier.

NSIS means Linux and Mac users can't use the download. It's a good idea to have one download that works for all platforms. Then users can even switch the OS and continue to play as before, without having to redownload.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] x Frags Left should come before other announcements gd 0 1,392 06-21-2023, 11:27 AM
Last Post: gd
  [SUGGESTION] Teams should start with the same total health in ca gd 2 2,957 04-15-2022, 03:23 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [SUGGESTION] Screw the brain dead bot campaign, this is what singleplayer REALLY should be Lee_Stricklin 7 6,767 05-09-2016, 01:52 PM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin
  [SUGGESTION] Should we move Engines? Beagle 24 16,910 05-07-2016, 03:48 AM
Last Post: tZork
Sad [SUGGESTION] There should be more improvement (should be added yet) Eonman 5 4,882 05-27-2015, 07:33 PM
Last Post: Ogger73
  [SUGGESTION] A game package should contain all needed components kanatov 2 4,321 03-10-2015, 10:58 PM
Last Post: kanatov
  [SUGGESTION] Should There be an official Xonotic T-Shirt? Zeo 13 17,174 01-16-2015, 03:13 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  [SUGGESTION] Advanced Options tweaks that should maybe be default Lee_Stricklin 16 18,590 01-23-2013, 09:59 AM
Last Post: edh
  [SUGGESTION] Should I set up a PPA for Xonotic or is it too early? Minkovsky 10 11,500 10-02-2012, 01:57 AM
Last Post: zykure
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] Should switching to the already equipped weapon switch to the previous weapon? Loafers 11 11,566 06-01-2012, 01:41 AM
Last Post: CuBe0wL