Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] A separate forum for Story Mode?

I purpose us creating a separate forum for Story Mode-based things. I think that the Story Mode should be totally separate from the multiplayer, and am afraid that the influence of multiplayer will ultimately destroy any possibility of the Story Mode being any good (both story and gameplay wise). The Story Mode may have to have different balancing and will be based off more than mindless killing (though there should be quite a bit of killing), thus we should treat it as a separate entity.

I am ready to create a forum on my own domain if the Xonotic.org admins are unable/unwilling to create another forum. If a Xonotic.org admin with the power to create a totally separate Story Mode forum (as in, whole separate tab at the top of the page, or at least a separate categorey) reads this and agrees, please PM me to discuss forum organization (of course, I want to hear your ideas on how to organize the singleplayer forum also, if you agree, that is).

Do you agree, disagree, or have a better idea? Reply!

EDIT: rewrote some words to better clarify myself

Ugh. No, no, no, no, no.
Xonotic is NOT a singleplayer game. It's a MULTIPLAYER game which will have a possibility of offline playing in the form of a singleplayer campaign, which should NOT differ too much in gameplay from online multiplayer.
And maintaining two forums would be a major pain. You do realize that, I hope?

The singleplayer should not totally be separate from the multiplayer as div said. It should still come across as one single game, just with singleplayer and multiplayer options.
They have to merge/influence each other in one way or the other.

I have no opinion in whether to get a section/forum for single player. I can see the benefits of having one for sure, but a whole new forum which is not a part of these forums I do not agree with. It's bad separting these important things like this (people will again, complain about not getting any info or being a part of the community for decision etc, complaining they didn't know where to find these other forums). On the other hand, I don't know how the admins think in creating a section for singleplayer. Much like the 'creating and contributing' section; singleplayer would need a 'General', 'Editing and arts', 'Development' (for coding) etc.
This could clutter these forums so I'm not sure what people would think. Also, not sure how used these forums would be.

But with Mr. Bougos pessimistic view on singleplayer apart, there's nothing wrong with wanting a 'real' singleplayer campaign. And frankly, he cannot stop anyone if they decide to do it! >xD Booya! :p
We love you Bougs!

Besides, there could be the real singleplayer campaign, a offline multiplayer campaign (current singleplayer) and the real multiplayer. Three options to make everyone happy.
[Image: duck.gif]
ai am ai.

Fix the avatar size limit please! I want my avatar gifs back! DISCRIMINATION!
Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

(09-08-2010, 07:51 AM)Seijiro Wrote: Besides, there could be the real singleplayer campaign, a offline multiplayer campaign (current singleplayer) and the real multiplayer. Three options to make everyone happy.

+1 to this. Creating an offline multiplayer campaign from scratch isn't difficult at all, so a singleplayer campaign shouldn't have to replace it.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

(09-08-2010, 11:04 AM)ThePWTULN Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 07:51 AM)Seijiro Wrote: Besides, there could be the real singleplayer campaign, a offline multiplayer campaign (current singleplayer) and the real multiplayer. Three options to make everyone happy.

+1 to this. Creating an offline multiplayer campaign from scratch isn't difficult at all, so a singleplayer campaign shouldn't have to replace it.

My apologies. It was one in the morning when I wrote this post and my wording was off. It was my initial intention to keep an offline-single-player-arena-combat-with-bots in the game (as the "single player" mode in Nexuiz is), but only add a separate mode for a true, story-line-based campaign. I didn't want to replace it, because arena combat is the core of the game, not a story-driven campaign.

(09-08-2010, 03:00 PM)MANERS Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 11:04 AM)ThePWTULN Wrote:

My apologies. It was one in the morning when I wrote this post and my wording was off. It was my initial intention to keep an offline-single-player-arena-combat-with-bots in the game (as the "single player" mode in Nexuiz is), but only add a separate mode for a true, story-line-based campaign. I didn't want to replace it, because arena combat is the core of the game, not a story-driven campaign.

if you want something done then do it yourself or with a friend, if you can help and will help then i will help also, if you have skills in mapping or modeling or coding or graphical design or something else then you can help, so if you want to make a single player tell me and i will start working on some stories and maps and models

Oi, don't be too eager. Enthusiasm is good, but not being overwhelmed by it. Before one can even think of starting maps and models, the basis has to be put in place first. Meaning, team management, given roles, communication basis set up, how people working on the same thing (mainly the story) would work together as not to everyone just come up with their own story and then trying to implement everything in one go.
There are tons of important questions left to set up a basis before digging into the 'good stuff'.
ai am ai.

Also, change my name to 'ai', these forums sucks which can't have 2 letters in the nick!

(09-08-2010, 04:19 PM)Seijiro Wrote: Oi, don't be too eager. Enthusiasm is good, but not being overwhelmed by it. Before one can even think of starting maps and models, the basis has to be put in place first. Meaning, team management, given roles, communication basis set up, how people working on the same thing (mainly the story) would work together as not to everyone just come up with their own story and then trying to implement everything in one go.
There are tons of important questions left to set up a basis before digging into the 'good stuff'.

Agreed. Not being serious and realistic may be our downfall here. We have to take things step by step.

(09-08-2010, 07:51 AM)Seijiro Wrote: But with Mr. Bougos pessimistic view on singleplayer apart, there's nothing wrong with wanting a 'real' singleplayer campaign. And frankly, he cannot stop anyone if they decide to do it! >xD Booya! :p
We love you Bougs!

Sure thing, I'm not really fond of the direction you guys are taking but I'm not going to stand in the way as it's just a very personal opinion and I'm not involved in any serious development related to it.

I suggest you guys don't make this topic yet another place to discuss singleplayer, though, there's already enough of these. Might have to lock this topic later, as the original question got its answer I believe.

(09-09-2010, 01:55 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:
(09-08-2010, 07:51 AM)Seijiro Wrote: But with Mr. Bougos pessimistic view on singleplayer apart, there's nothing wrong with wanting a 'real' singleplayer campaign. And frankly, he cannot stop anyone if they decide to do it! >xD Booya! :p
We love you Bougs!

Sure thing, I'm not really fond of the direction you guys are taking but I'm not going to stand in the way as it's just a very personal opinion and I'm not involved in any serious development related to it.

I suggest you guys don't make this topic yet another place to discuss singleplayer, though, there's already enough of these. Might have to lock this topic later, as the original question got its answer I believe.

It has. Lock away.

To be honest, I'm against having an entirely separate website for singleplayer discussion. A single subforum on the xonotic.org forums should be enough.
[Image: 370.png] AKA [~] John Smith on Nexuiz

Yes, but you'd have to convince the admins to create such a thing.
ai am ai.

Leaving this open for discussion. Do contact the Xonotic team if you want such a thing, it's not a forum admin's responsibility to decide whether or not there should be such a forum.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Sumo game mode BuddyFriendGuy 2 1,978 02-24-2023, 02:32 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  [BUG] Forum software swallows newlines ballerburg9005 3 1,826 11-01-2021, 08:51 AM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [SUGGESTION] New Forum Section: Servers Antares* 1 1,790 02-08-2021, 02:27 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [SUGGESTION] Some "modern" Suggestions (Wipeout Mode, Electro Color) NoClue 1 1,989 10-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Mario
Lightbulb [SUGGESTION] A NEW GAME MODE - HIDE AND SEEK! Kotangens 5 3,667 07-30-2020, 01:30 PM
Last Post: Kotangens
  [BUG] No proper Unicode handling in forum Lyberta 1 2,252 08-13-2019, 03:10 PM
Last Post: hotdog
  [SUGGESTION] Destroyable Health mode. Magician 11 7,717 03-06-2018, 12:18 PM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Relic Duels (game mode) munyul 5 4,833 02-11-2018, 10:59 AM
Last Post: martin-t
  [SUGGESTION] Borderless (Fullscreen) Windowed Mode Iokast 0 3,222 07-04-2016, 01:01 PM
Last Post: Iokast
  [SUGGESTION] Discourse Forum PetaByteBoy 9 8,245 03-08-2016, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Beagle