Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[TUTORIAL] fix dark playermodel visibility glow textures

In the past you could simply max out the brightness on the glow textures of the player model, which resulted in good visibility of the enemies, similar to g_fullbrightplayermodels. But since 0.8.5 this "hack" stopped working. Unfortunately this means that the player model would often be unnaturally dark only with certain maps that were very dark and dimly lit, or in certain maps in certain corners and also mid-air at random. 

This is because the lighting of video game maps is not always very plausible. For example, light might be generated out of thin air, then suddenly stop at 2 meters distance. The geometry somehow may cast extreme shadows on player but not really on ground & walls. The light and subsequent shadowing may not only come from discernible sources like windows/lightbulbs but from invisible sources  as well, which makes shadows sometimes act like a cloud / fog that can engulf players. Consequently player visibility might vary unpredictably and can go contrary to what one could expect with plausible lighting inside the map.

The only real solution against this problem is to use this pk3. 

What had to be added new for 0.8.5 was the scripts/player_ignis.shader file, where rgbgen is set to identity (thanks Julius). I also switched glow color and shirt color textures, so it won't flip colors on certain servers that override player models to megaerebus.

Put the pk3 file into the Xonotic/data/ folder and then simply set the following cvar to use the model:

_cl_playermodel "models/player/ignismasked.iqm"

.pk3   zzzzzzzzz-ignisglow.pk3 (Size: 1.69 MB / Downloads: 19)

[Image: AwnYEUl.jpg]

Brought to you by ⚡⚡ EXTREME VOLTAGE.
Visit our clan website: http://extreme.voltage.nz/

looks great. How do I load these up, place the pk3 in Xonotic/data ? thanks.

(07-15-2022, 07:55 PM)sHaG_q3 Wrote: looks great. How do I load these up, place the pk3 in Xonotic/data ?  thanks.

Yes pk3s go inside the data folder. For Linux this would be: $HOME/.xonotic/data

Hello, could You update this ? I am running git and tryied to make it work with pk3, unpacked, with a build, to no avail, maybe a how to ? Thanks!

(11-03-2023, 06:48 PM)rochr4 Wrote: Hello, could You update this ? I am running git and tryied to make it work with pk3, unpacked, with a build, to no avail, maybe a how to ? Thanks!

It is still working fine for me.

Make sure to use:

(11-14-2023, 06:25 AM)ballerburg9005 Wrote:
(11-03-2023, 06:48 PM)rochr4 Wrote: Hello, could You update this ? I am running git and tryied to make it work with pk3, unpacked, with a build, to no avail, maybe a how to ? Thanks!

It is still working fine for me.

Make sure to use:

It works in vanilla settings, tryied to work it up from semi-potatoe settings, in a nutshell it needs:
r_texture_dds_swdecode 2
r_texture_dds_load 1
playermodel models/player/ignismasked.iqm
playerskin models/player/ignismasked.iqm
vid_sRGB_fallback 1
vid_sRGB 1
r_hdr_glowintensity 1
r_fullbright_directed 0 (this also helps in 'sRGB fallback' non sRGB situation)

For full effect I presume it needs r_bloom enabled which is no-go here ;-

screen
Attached screen is sRGB with dark blue skin, thanks!.[Image: xonotic20231122191631-00.jpg]

After some fiddling I got it working without r_bloom, keywords are: r_glsl_saturation AND vid_sRGB_fallback "0" OR simply use vanilla default xonotic settings and not user doctored for 6 years horror Smile
Thank You ballerburg9005.

DM,TDM
[Image: UJV0kVo.png]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remove/Change playermodel and model name ArenaVet2008 1 1,175 12-21-2022, 08:40 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  [TUTORIAL] Git Build missing textures LuckyStripe 0 1,942 01-17-2020, 07:17 PM
Last Post: LuckyStripe
  Disable map textures gl_picmip commands Beagle 3 6,049 05-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Last Post: Beagle