Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Frames/Per/Second Linux 2022

I'M Baaaaccckkk!
After solving my crash issues from updating my 8.2 to 8.5, I have returned for more Xon action. In order to update to 8.5 I needed a new MOBO, CPU, GPU, & Ram (Done!).  Now I am running a 64 bit operating system and $475.00 dollars later I am a bit bummed at my Xonotic experience.  I'm looking for some help to troubleshoot my elusive in game "stuttering."   I have reviewed other threads, and I feel I want some suggestions which are more suited to the year 2022 (although the other threads are still helpful).
I'm a big fan of Linux.  Currently running Ubuntu 22.04 with XFCE.
CPU: AMD Athalon 3000G
Ram: 16 gigs
GPU: Maxsun Radeon RX 550
The Big Benchmark:
Benchmarking on omg
 220.2731768 fps, one-second fps min/avg/max: 160 224 366
Benchmarking on low
 213.4497754 fps, one-second fps min/avg/max: 157 217 341
Benchmarking on med
205.4915632 fps, one-second fps min/avg/max: 146 210 353
Benchmarking on normal
191.4150500 fps, one-second fps min/avg/max: 136 195 316
Benchmarking on high
186.2683170 fps, one-second fps min/avg/max: 131 190 290
Benchmarking on ultra
177.2532835 fps, one-second fps min/avg/max: 124 181 289
Benchmarking on ultimate
141.5208050 fps, one-second fps min/avg/max: 30 155 275
Output from terminal with command:  lshw -c video
description: VGA compatible controller
       product: Lexa PRO [Radeon 540/540X/550/550X / RX 540X/550/550X]
       vendor: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
       logical name: /dev/fb0
       version: c7
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm pciexpress msi vga_controller bus_master cap_list rom fb
       configuration: depth=32 driver=amdgpu latency=0 resolution=1920,1080

The stuttering happens the same in single player as well as multiplayer.  It happens visually on screen and sometimes in delays from peripherals (i.e. weapons not firing or switching).  It happens more when there are more players and when other players get close to me.  I was able to turn off the compositor through xfce and that did help visually some, but game play is still sporadic.  I don't have a gaming monitor, but I can run my monitor at 60hz or 75hz depending on the screen size.  I wanted to try to turn off vsync, but it seems I might not be able to do that with my amd gpu on Linux (any thoughts).  Do I need  to find and test out a windows OS?  I'm not sure if maybe getting vsync off is something which would even help me.  I'm looking for some next steps please.  [Plug]  Reducing ping does help a bit so I set up a server to accommodate myself... Echo Server US Central [endplug]
Thanks for your input, and let me know if there is any other info I can provide to get some answers.

Update...
I have learned that there are layers to the control of different forms of vsync.  I have personally been working with 3 (thought there were only two.  Who knows, maybe there are more?), including the vsync capabilities of Xonotic software itself, the gui window managers for what is directly added on screen via software from the OS, and code which directly controls the hardware of the pc peripherals.

Xonotic fps changes:  Easy enough to figure out Smile
Window managers:  Took some time to review, but there are settings which can be adjusted via 'compiz' and 'window tweaks' to turn off the compositor and turn off vsync
Hardware:  Was quite a bit more challenging because it is very dependent upon what type of hardware is being used.  Found some code to add to terminal script which is preceded by the code to run the Xon .sh ...
                                                                  env vblank_mode=0 __GL_SYNC_TO_VBLANK=0
   It is a bit redundant, but why not try to adjust for both nvidia and amd.  This changes the hardware specific parameters for the current session to turn off vsync (tested on Ubuntu 22.04  running Xorg.  Will test a few different setups at a later time).

Results:  My graphics card can put out quite a bit more frames per second and my accuracy has improved (a tiny bit).  The adjustments I made has added a small amount of screen tearing, but I'm looking for performance and it is very minimal.  I am still experiencing lags in weapons switching and weapons firing both in multiplayer and single player, but it doesn't seem to happen as much if I am alone on a map.  I'm thinking this has something to do with my pc processing power?  I will look into testing overclocking to see if any improvements there will get rid of random lags.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a linux based software to monitor pc performance while I am gaming?  Thanks!

Hello all. I have laptop with hybrid graphic system (intel uhd + NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3050 Ti).
I use archlinux and nvidia private(close) drivers.
I run xonotic from terminal and with prime-run ( https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PRIME#P...er_offload ) and in settings i set "Effects" to "Ultra"

$ prime-run ./xonotic-linux64-glx

And it gives me 140-162 stable fps in all cases on Ultra (maximum settings).

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Linux traffic shaping improve ping with Youtube ballerburg9005 0 1,803 08-23-2021, 12:40 PM
Last Post: ballerburg9005
  in/cm per 360? KoalaBearScarf 37 48,145 10-08-2019, 04:35 PM
Last Post: _para
  How does Xonotic stretch to all my screens on Linux? Espionage724 1 3,577 10-18-2015, 12:04 AM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Alter sound settings per game mode W4RP1G 22 26,558 05-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Last Post: rocknroll237