Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[DM] Abandoned (beta 4)

ok, my another mapping try Smile
this time not very big space DM map, with beautifull "polluted earth" skybox.

Abandoned beta 2:
http://ompldr.org/vNWkyOA/abandoned_b2.pk3
Abandoned beta 3:
http://ompldr.org/vNWsxMg/abandoned_b3.pk3

UPDATE
Abandoned beta 4:
http://ompldr.org/vNWx0cw/abandoned_b4.pk3
changes:
-added ramps on lowest platform at Halogene's request
-it's prettier
-it's better
-it's even bigger

Almost final version. I'm not planing any major layout changes (unless someone would have some brilliant idea). I'm now checking if there aren't any bugs, something wrong, but it seems everything is fine.
I'm also planning to add bot waypoints (first have to find out how Tongue ), as i don't like the way they're moving around my map.

screenshots:
[Image: hzxlh1d7czdr01z51dzg_thumb.jpg]
[Image: hytx77zp6x5vys2rjfdd_thumb.jpg]
[Image: joayd8vhrtjke5iww2gn_thumb.jpg]
[Image: n6nydvmh63lsf7hazbm3_thumb.jpg]
<Halogene> ok "n1" means "nice one"
<Halogene> "gl" means "good luck"
<Halogene> "fu" means "wow that was wickedly nice that frag"
Frogg on Instagram

Very nice hit buddy.
The cubic industrial look is just great. I like it.

Could be fun to put some little platforms along the 4 big pillars, so as to have nice spots to shoot from. Of course, they shouldn't break the balance of the whole map...
Fat.bot.Slim

Kuniu, looks awesome! I'll have to give it a try and give you some feedback. Now I really can't wait for my new gfx card to get in so I can turn up those effects for this one!
asyyy^ | are you releated to chuck norris?

Told you that it looks good Tongue
Could not test it yet though.

Wooooow Smile

Thats looking really awesome! Very good work!
Didnt test yet but Im sure it will be eyecandy and cool gameplay... Tongue

Mirio, that version from here is quite different (read: better Tongue ) than that one i gave you on IRC.
Frogg on Instagram

Looks a very cool and very graphically nice map!

Will get this one when I have spare-time.

Am looking very forward to playing xonotic and the maps and being able to play on public servers again! Now with a new PC..me needs practice! Tongue
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

kuniu looks very very nice!

it's small, so i'd say a 1v1 gameplay will be be the best. Also, the jumppad at the lowest level sends you down to earth. one of the player spawns is too close to nex, I might add. but overall, pretty good.
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

My thoughts on this map:

- Visually gorgeous. Excellent work!

- It really is small, even for 1v1. Players attempting to get weapons on the platforms can be easily spammed. When I saw the screenshots I was expecting something more along the scale of the map "tokam" (if you are familiar with it). Extending the weapons platforms out horizontally could allow for better movement/evasion at no cost to gameplay.

- It is too easy to chain the megas - you take the jump pad to get MH and can land on the MA with very little effort in the way of air control. I'd suggest moving one or the other to make it more difficult to chain. Doing so would give it better balance for 1v1s.

- Consider making some floating platforms off to the side (or some other exposed place) and putting RL/Mortar there. In my testing the RL/Mortar dominated everyone because of the push.

(09-14-2010, 07:50 AM)Antibody Wrote: - Visually gorgeous. Excellent work!
thanks. Also thanks for mentioning it at the beginning of your post, so i could feel more confident before reading the rest of it. At least one positive thing Tongue

Antibody Wrote:- It really is small, even for 1v1.
Players attempting to get weapons on the platforms can be easily spammed. When I saw the screenshots I was expecting something more along the scale of the map "tokam" (if you are familiar with it). Extending the weapons platforms out horizontally could allow for better movement/evasion at no cost to gameplay.
maybe you're right. I was trying to make something similiar to Soylent when it comes to size, but yes, maybe it is too small. I'll think about it Smile

Antibody Wrote:- It is too easy to chain the megas - you take the jump pad to get MH and can land on the MA with very little effort in the way of air control. I'd suggest moving one or the other to make it more difficult to chain. Doing so would give it better balance for 1v1s.
this is a good point.
Generally, there's no reason to visit the lowest platform (no key item there) so maybe moving mega armour there would help it. It definitely needs to be changed.

Antibody Wrote:Players attempting to get weapons on the platforms can be easily spammed.
it was my intention, that you will have to take some risk to get a good weapon. But again, i'll consider changing it.

Antibody Wrote:- Consider making some floating platforms off to the side (or some other exposed place) and putting RL/Mortar there. In my testing the RL/Mortar dominated everyone because of the push.

seems my map needs to get bigger. Ok i'll give it a try.

Thanks Antibody!!
Frogg on Instagram

Hm, I think I needed to be more clear in my spamming comment. My model for a making a good weapon spot would be the Nex location in final_rage, which is to say that it is hard to get without getting spammed, but you don't die instantly even when you do (get spammed). If you get spammed where your RL is right now you'll likely die by being pushed totally off. Instead you could have it so the player will take damage but not fall off (extend the platform or make the platform directly below it bigger so the player will fall onto it).

this map is too small

beta 3 ready.
some changes done, first post updated
Frogg on Instagram

Looking forward to testing it out soon!

Looks like a lot of fun Smile Going to test it tonight.
[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Hmm this looks like I will want to test it too, because I like the looks and the concept of this map. From the screenshots I would suggest to add some little ramps to the edges of the platforms that could be used for ramp jumping up to the first intermediate level of the staircases that you can see on your second screenshot - so that you need to jump a bit out of the construction, make a mid-air 180 degree turn and land on the intermediate level of the staircases leading to the upper platform. That's just an idea, but ever since I learnt about ramp jumping I very much like to have ramps opening up alternative paths. Also maybe add some ramps where the lower platform has the rectangular hole with the pillar in it (as in screenshot number 1) so that you can do a 90 degree turn jump above the void and around the pillar. Just ideas, of course :o)

Another thing which might be good is to slightly reshape the platforms, add extensions and the like here and there so that it looks less cubic overall.
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

I really like the textures, structures in your map and I have no noticable FPS drops. But from the point of gameplay I dont like it. I was never a fan of openspace maps, because some important items should be in trappy places. Here is the hole map a trap. Secondly I think it is to open and small, which leads to heavy spawnraping and tons of nontactical fights. It is a good looking map for a short funmatch with a lot of action.

I tested beta3 of this map.

bump

take a look at first post
Frogg on Instagram

I like the verticality of this map. Very good DM map, reminds me of soylent in some ways.

This looks like an elevator Tongue
[Image: dm-812853684444.png]

Check your brushwork here, there's likely an overlap:
[Image: dm-10128536844412.png]
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

Hey Kuniu! I got the time to go through this map again - my, what changes you have made! I am really liking what you have done. Here are some notes.

- Since you moved the mega armor the map will have a better balance for duels
- I love the barrier you've put up on one side w/ the warning console (don't press that button!). It makes going up/down that area a safe haven for evasion.
- The size seems perfect for a 1v1. Much better than beta1.
- Note the FPS on my screenshots - awesome even on "ultra" settings Smile

And now for some suggestions. For that I shall use images (woohoo!):

[Image: dt-0128554408410.png]
I thought it would be fun if you were to put jump pads down here, a la evilspace. Otherwise what else is one to do down here?

[Image: dt-1212855443181.png]
When I jumped up here it dealt me damage. This might be a good area to put ammo for the strongest weapon, because it is relatively hard to get and is exposed at this location. I also thought shards would be good here for a teeny boost.

[Image: dt-2128554442015.png]
This is great positioning! The fall off behind this spot is a perfect place to put the strongest weapon. Right now I think you are correct in putting the electro there, but you might need to swap another weapon into this spot depending on how the balance turns out.

[Image: dt-14128554452416.png]
This circular vent looks like it doesn't belong.

[Image: dt-9128554456510.png]
This segment looks out of place too.

[Image: dt-1312855445961.png]
That light is off-center.

So in summary, it is mainly cosmetic stuff that needs changing. Great work!

(09-24-2010, 05:47 PM)Roanoke Wrote: This looks like an elevator Tongue
[Image: dm-812853684444.png]
in previous releases mortar was placed there. Now it's empty, should i put something there again?

Roanoke Wrote:Check your brushwork here, there's likely an overlap:
[Image: dm-10128536844412.png]
no overlap here, dunno why does it look that way.

(09-26-2010, 06:45 PM)Antibody Wrote: [Image: dt-0128554408410.png]
I thought it would be fun if you were to put jump pads down here, a la evilspace. Otherwise what else is one to do down here?
i don't want to place too many jumppads, three should be enough. Sound of jumppad is great help in predicting enemy's location and i don't want to ruin it with too many of them. In evilspace it's not that important, if you want to know where's your enemy you just turn around Tongue
that lowest area is kind of a bonus, there's no reason for going there, no items etc, also you can easily laserjump from there.

Antibody Wrote:[Image: dt-1212855443181.png]
When I jumped up here it dealt me damage. This might be a good area to put ammo for the strongest weapon, because it is relatively hard to get and is exposed at this location. I also thought shards would be good here for a teeny boost.
i placed trigger_hurt there because it would be good camping spot, especially in minsta. I generally don't want people to be there. You can see very hot shiny pipes under your feet (well, my intention for it was to look like hot pipes or wires). It doesn't hurt you much, it's just a suggestion to go away Tongue

Antibody Wrote:[Image: dt-14128554452416.png]
This circular vent looks like it doesn't belong.

[Image: dt-9128554456510.png]
This segment looks out of place too.
you're right, i will remove those vents.

Antibody Wrote:[Image: dt-1312855445961.png]
That light is off-center.
heh, good point
Frogg on Instagram

I added the current version of the map to the git repository. When you make further changes, please PM me so I will update it.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

Sounds good kuniu - all of your points make sense. I can't wait to test the new version (> beta 1) of this w/ real players.

Just telling from the screenshots:
The overall look is good, but a bit too bumpy on the eye. It seems like you used grate-textures nearly everywhere, which are not very easy on the eye. Don't get me wrong: the architecture looks good, but try not to fall in love with grates too much Wink Use less noisy floor textures like large metal plates for the lowest floor for example. This will make your map look less chaotic and gives a more clear look to it while also helping the player to orientate himself better and faster (players like that Wink).
You can also break up the tall grate-towers with some less noisy support structures for example.
Less is sometimes more.
Looking forward to the next version!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [DM] Tatami Gash - 1st Beta Rush 1 1,564 05-09-2022, 06:44 AM
Last Post: PenguinMafia
  [CTF/DM/NB] Ascent (beta 5) _para 22 8,027 07-16-2020, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LegendGuard
  [DM/DOM] - Map Beta - Slagpit Notavi 8 3,269 07-15-2020, 11:36 PM
Last Post: BuddyFriendGuy
  Hyperspace (beta) ThePWTULN 38 40,562 03-28-2017, 06:45 AM
Last Post: Cinnamon Juice
  [DM] radical-proverb_v0r1.pk3 (reskin of abandoned) -z- 5 6,187 12-24-2013, 03:40 PM
Last Post: -z-
  TempleCity Beta 2 (Update) _para 6 8,603 08-15-2013, 04:32 PM
Last Post: Mario
  [BETA] PIPE Minkovsky 7 8,686 06-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [beta][dm] Redsky Arena DM Minkovsky 5 6,979 05-02-2011, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Minkovsky
  [MAP] Sewer (beta) theShadow 19 15,589 11-30-2010, 08:52 AM
Last Post: Sir Emeth Mimetes
  [MAP] Perkele (beta) Bundy 22 22,547 11-11-2010, 06:30 PM
Last Post: kojn^