Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lift Jumps + Gravity Changes?

Just wondering.

Is it possible to have lift jumps in Xonotic?
I know there isn't many map's with lift's at the moment, but basically when a lift is going upwards you jump at the right time when the lift is going up (normally try to jump at peak velocity) and you get a significant boost in height when you jump, so using the lift's momentum.

Is this possible, and if so can it be implemented (at some point in the future).

Secondly, is it possible to have low-gravity environment's, I'm just thinking from a few space map's in UT..and by few I mean few. Just like an arena map with low-grav on it as i've never seen this in Xonotic, and given it's meant to be sci-fi thought it'd be appropriate.

I've not seen these mentioned for Xonotic on these forum's anyway so just wanted to ask if there possible, and if so if lift-jumps could be implemented Smile
[Image: 542.png]

#deathmatchers @ irc.quakenet.org

Hey, I remember in Unreal it was possible to have different gravity in each zone of a map.

Rocketliftjumps Big Grin
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(08-18-2011, 06:56 AM)kojn^ Wrote: Secondly, is it possible to have low-gravity environment's, I'm just thinking from a few space map's in UT..and by few I mean few. Just like an arena map with low-grav on it as i've never seen this in Xonotic, and given it's meant to be sci-fi thought it'd be appropriate.

Yes, this is possible.
The reason it doesn't get used (I think) is because it will slow the game-play down (and thus be annoying). At least if used in the entire map.
Skyward Fire

I think it might be a nice twist to have some outdoor zones of a spaceship with low gravity. It slows down player's movement and makes him easier to shoot, so it might be a nice thing to put around a power-up. The one who enters the area is in the danger.
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Yea, that's what I mean..Obviously not have it on every map, but just a very very few maps and as above like outside a ship or something, or to get a powerup on a space-map.

Lift-jumps though I would really like to see included if possible.

Yep it's absolutely possible, I used a low-gravity zone instead of a jumpad on SG-X.

What if we removed the launchpads on Space Elevator and put low gravity over the empty space? Big Grin That sounds like fun.

Never heard of the lift jumping thing before though.

Lift jumping would probably be hard to implement in DP. Basic idea if you are on a lift that is moving up, you already have some relative speed going up compared to the rest of the world, if you jump while the lift is moving it appears you jump a normal height BUT relative to the world you jump a higher distance, if you jump right before the lift stops your jump power becomes equal to lift speed + your jump speed and this is wildly visible as you basically can end up flying if the lift is moving really fast.

BUT in DP this is probably a pain to implement, as the server and client side movement must start taking relative speed of the player to the world, and if he is on a lift he must move relative to the lifts speed(atm he is just pushed out of the way I think). Lowgrav however = totally doable Smile just needs maps.
#deathmatchers

Yes, but we should be somewhat easily able to do liftjumps once we have csqc player networking.

With that, we could base jumps of the current velocity INCLUDING being moved by lifts, instead of excluding.
BRLOGENSHFEGLE (core dumped)

The Bot Orchestra is back! | Xoylent Easter Egg | 5bots1piano
My music on Google Play and SoundCloud

^ that would be awesome
#deathmatchers

Sounds awesome div0, please add it to the todo list after 0.2 Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Getting good distance on circle jumps? Cynical 7 4,105 02-22-2020, 06:29 AM
Last Post: morosophos
Video Are these jumps already known (warfare) CloOny 14 11,149 03-30-2012, 11:12 AM
Last Post: PGP_Qz
  [VIDEO] Crazy jumps in space CuBe0wL 13 16,554 12-31-2010, 01:22 PM
Last Post: ThePWTULN