Xonotic Forums

Full Version: LinNex problem/question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm zombie mcclure. You may remember me from such catchphrases as "pwnt", "[mnt", and "i suck". I've not been active on the siznervers lately for a variety of reasons, but the most recent and hardest to overcome is the fact that nexuiz will no longer run on my computer! The horror! Here's the deal: since I last fragged, I have migrated from current ubuntu to current mint. That was months ago. A few weeks ago, I tried to run nex, and it didn't work at all. I flailed about in frustration, downloading, installing, synaptic-ing, compiling... each of those things twice probably. Needless to say... I got nowhere. In fact I suspect that my system is a total mess now, though the symptoms have not changed a bit: Nex won't go.

Have I broken a rule about building programs from source (ie, don't do it)? Do I have to delete my /home partition, re-install / and start from scratch? Will them ol' Duke boys ever get out of this one? Kind regards,

-zombie
First try running the game from a terminal. See what error messages come back and post them here.

Quite possibly some kind of library mismatch exists if you have previously built from source as Mint may well have a different library version than Ubuntu. Rebuilding Nexuiz under Mint may fix this.
Yeah M said you FUBAR'd your comp Zombie, re-install and get back on Nexuiz you are missed! Big Grin
WTF guise..... delete nexuiz and install xonotic! Keep your old .pk3's tho cuz it has little content. Doku is working on getting a server going, and I hope to have a few running by Wednesday. Also Xonotic outperformed Nexuiz in fps, meaning even with higher quality textures I got a performance boost!
Thanks for the replies. I have run it in terminal, but I've been away from home for a week or so now, and can't remember the output. Back home in a couple of days will post results.
Makr, I also did try to install xonotic... same lack of joy :-(
I guess if worse comes to worst, I could always run it on my Win7 partition... Tongue
Ok, so here is the tail end of terminal output when attempting to execute "nexuiz":

Code:
Initializing Video Mode: fullscreen 1400x860x32x60hz
Linked against SDL version 1.2.13
Using SDL library version 1.2.14
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for operation)
  Major opcode of failed request:  130 (XFree86-VidModeExtension)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  10 (XF86VidModeSwitchToMode)
  Value in failed request:  0x138
  Serial number of failed request:  127
  Current serial number in output stream:  129