Xonotic Forums

Full Version: So I gotten back to playing Xonotic again... where's the Vanilla servers?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It has been a few years since I've last played Xonotic. (I see not much has changed) I've gotten back to that game again, because of a "silly reason," I went from Windows 8 to Linux Mint. And because of this cool frag movie I spotted on YouTube:
Xonotic - Prepare to Respawn - Community Movie 2 …: http://youtu.be/2CT9MpUMdVk

I admit it's a pretty fun game to come back to every once in a while. It's like the elements of Quake and Unreal Tournament combined.

However, it seems it is hard to find a game now compared to in the past. Meaning there are hardly any players online during peak hours (right after work). And if there are players available to play against, all I come across is Instagib servers with silly mods. It is hard to find a decent vanilla CTF or DM server.

I was wondering if it is possible (if not already) that there is a forum topic out there dedicated in scheduling a game night where Xonotic players meet up to play an hour or two in variety of Vanilla style game modes? (and If there is a Skype, Google Hangouts, Mumble, or teamspeak server out there for gaming — that is even better!]

I really to practice on my FPS-Twitch based skills. Yeah, I kind of do that in Open Arena. But the gameplay mechanics doesn't match up compared to Xonotic!

Edit: Ok, nvm. It wasn't a few years since I last played it. But it sure felt like it. Also, I was reminded from my old post that instagib is more popular (I keep thinking this is Open Arena community or something). But still! Do we have a dedicated topic in scheduling game nights for vanilla-varied game modes?
IRC QuakeNet #xonotic.pickup
Yeah, most games get organized via #xonotic.pickup on quakenet (if you don't have an irc client, use http://webchat.quakenet.org -> join #xonotic.pickup)

I'd love to spawn some vanilla ctf action, but my attempts to set up a DCC CTF TIME regularly failed quite badly, after I was away for a week once seemingly no one was interested any more :o/
Oh cool! Thank you for the irc link! I'm busy seeing family and stuff this week/end. But next week I'll be ready to play!

Shouldn't this irc Xonotic.pickup be advertised to newbie players in the front page? Like, "Want to organize a game? Click here!"
Valid point, I've seen a lot of new players not knowing about IRC. I'll pick it up and discuss with dev team.
Human beings are sociable animals. Try staying for a while in an empty server: This will make them come to you! That's what I used to do back in days.
I'll add a link to the pickup IRC channel on the front page as soon as I can.
(12-02-2014, 02:23 PM)Antibody Wrote: [ -> ]I'll add a link to the pickup IRC channel on the front page as soon as I can.

How about a notifier maybe a tray program/icon or something like Terminal Overload has http://www.terminal-overload.org/playerg...layeralert.
The link to pickup channel is already up for a couple of days, just saying. Check the end of the "Community" section on the front page.