Xonotic Forums

Full Version: Oh, hi there
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm MANERS, and it's nice to be acquainted. I would like to use this thread to tell you a little about myself and what I have to offer the Xonotic project. First, I have been gaming since ever I could remember. I was originally a console gamer until I got a Wii and fell in love with its internet channel and a browser game called Travian. Since then I have been a free to play and open source PC gamer, but I own a few good commercial games for the PC. I have much more computer experience than others in my age group, and enjoy working with computers in general. My experience includes working with plugins and making small color changes with the self hosted version of Wordpress, using a WYSIWYG editor to create simple websites and interconnecting web pages, using and fully configuring Windows 7 and XP, using and partly configuring Ubuntu (I installed it just a week ago), and PHPBB2 and 3 forum administration.

Now, I know none of that would really be helpful to the Xonotic community, but I think there are two things I can do and do well:

- Bug testing. Once I get Xonotic running I will happily go through whatever maps any developer would like and see if I can find any gameplay issues of glitches. I have something that a lot of people don't have: time. Of course, I keep myself busy, but if there's a good cause then I'm willing to help any way I can.
-Writing. I am a novice writer. I heard that Xonotic will have a story mode. If there is still a need for writers then I will happily offer whatever I can to the plot. If you need a portfolio, please check out http://romanceotaku.com/other-writings/. Romance Otaku is my pen name. Don't worry, I've been itching to do an action plot for a while, and don't just write Romance with an anime influence; if you read through my portfolio you will find several different genres, but it's a general rule of mine to include a some sort of romantic relationship in longer works. If I get to work on the Xonotic plot, it will probably be an exception.

Now, before I say that I will offer my services, you should probably know what I am not:

-An adult. I fully understand that I am a minor and the implications of being one, most notably having less experience in... well, everything. The key, though, is gaining it.
-A programmer. I know nothing about programming or any language of code minus the few easy color changes, object embeds, and Iframe inserts I've done in HTML and my two WordPress blogs' CSS files.

With that being said, I will try my best to do what I can for the open source community! Hope you guys are equally excited to watch this project grow!

-MANERS
(09-02-2010, 08:33 PM)MANERS Wrote: [ -> ]using a WYSIWYG editor

EW! XD

(09-02-2010, 08:33 PM)MANERS Wrote: [ -> ]I am not:

-An adult. I fully understand that I am a minor and the implications of being one, most notably having less experience in... well, everything. The key, though, is gaining it.

Wise. If you're as smart as you sound, though, you'll have no problem contributing your work to us, maybe even before adulthood. So don't worry about that too much, because we all have experience to gain, right? Nobody's perfect. Tongue

Nice meeting you, MANERS. You sound like you could be a good addition to the community.
(09-02-2010, 09:29 PM)Moo Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-02-2010, 08:33 PM)MANERS Wrote: [ -> ]using a WYSIWYG editor

EW! XD

Tell me about it. My first WYSIWYG editor hated Iframes, and the one that liked Iframes hated when I changed Meta tags/header (if that's what it's called...) manually (had to use Notepad to do it >_> that's sad). I doubt I will never find one that works. Eh, oh well. I dropped WYSIWYG editors a while ago for WordPress and only looked back for a school project in which I gutted out an Ebay page and put my own info in.

Haha, thanks for the confidence boost, and nice meeting you too ^-^.
Hello, MANERS Smile

[Image: Welcome%20aboard.gif]
Welcome Maners! Don't bother about adulthood - you sound waay more mature than some adult members of this community, including myself :oD
Heyy! Welcome to the Xonotic Forums!

You Lose
By Romance Otaku (http://romanceotaku.com/)

If you play this game, you lose
If you play by the rules, you lose
If you go first, you lose
If you go second, you lose
If you get heads, you lose
If you get tails, you lose
If you roll a 1, you lose
If you roll a 2, you lose
If you roll a 3, you lose
If you roll a 4, you lose
If you roll a 5, you lose
If you roll a 6, you lose
If you run out of cards, you lose
If you have the most cards, you lose
If you take all my pieces, you lose
If you sink my ship, you lose
If you take my king, you lose
If you get to finish, you lose
If you have the highest score, you lose
If you have the lowest score, you lose
If you win, you lose

For this is my game,
And you cannot win

...DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE GAME??? ^^ Big Grin
Nice poetry. I like how it seems to rhyme perfectly most of the time. Reminds me of a city in France. No-Time Tolouse.
(09-03-2010, 04:25 AM)rainerzufalldererste Wrote: [ -> ]Heyy! Welcome to the Xonotic Forums!

You Lose
By Romance Otaku (http://romanceotaku.com/)

If you play this game, you lose
If you play by the rules, you lose
If you go first, you lose
If you go second, you lose
If you get heads, you lose
If you get tails, you lose
If you roll a 1, you lose
If you roll a 2, you lose
If you roll a 3, you lose
If you roll a 4, you lose
If you roll a 5, you lose
If you roll a 6, you lose
If you run out of cards, you lose
If you have the most cards, you lose
If you take all my pieces, you lose
If you sink my ship, you lose
If you take my king, you lose
If you get to finish, you lose
If you have the highest score, you lose
If you have the lowest score, you lose
If you win, you lose

For this is my game,
And you cannot win

...DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE GAME??? ^^ Big Grin

Haha, I actually think that was my worst poem I published (besides the stuff with Anonymous). I was never good at poetry anyway XD. My short stories aren't too bad, though.