Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] Pre-determined Player models based on Map - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] Pre-determined Player models based on Map (/showthread.php?tid=186)

Pre-determined Player models based on Map - r0tt - 03-29-2010

With the idea of implementing factions instead of individual player models, what if mappers were able to select which factions would be the default used in a map.

Say there is a map for the XYZ faction based on their home planet. And so that XYZ player models would automatically be used instead of two different factions from other planets?

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - Erusavion - 03-29-2010

How many factions are being planned to be made? I thought only two. I didn't know we were going to have that many factions.

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - DiaboliK - 03-29-2010

Two factions doesn't work because gamemodes like keyhunt have more than two teams.

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - Erusavion - 03-29-2010

Oh yeah. I totally forgot about that.

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - velociostrich - 03-29-2010

(03-29-2010, 01:15 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: Two factions doesn't work because gamemodes like keyhunt have more than two teams.

Not necessarily; many games ignore any sort of backstory whatsoever in gamemodes that would otherwise conflict. Modern Warfare 2, for example, might pit the player as a Spetsnaz soldier fighting against Navy Seals on one map in when playing team deathmatch but might outfit the player as any of a number of factions in free-for-all -- so a game of keyhunt, for example, might feature one team as faction 'A' versus another team as faction 'A' and a third as faction 'B'.

That's not to say that Xonotic would have to follow their example, of course, but that would be a viable means of implementing some kind of (normally) faction-based play.

I would imagine that most users might object to being forced to play as a given faction on a given map, but the only true way of gauging user's desires is by polls, and even then the results can be (and often are) skewed.

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - ai - 03-30-2010

I have always thought at least 4 factions. Humans, aliens, robots and mercenaries or pirates or whatever.

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - Aleator - 04-02-2010

Me too. But I think 4-5 factions would be optimal.

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - theShadow - 04-02-2010

i think it is rather silly to force multiplayer to coincide with the story.

RE: Pre-determined Player models based on Map - Sepelio - 04-02-2010

(04-02-2010, 10:50 AM)theShadow Wrote: i think it is rather silly to force multiplayer to coincide with the story.

Agreed. I dont understand why people want it all to be stuck together.