Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] Alt+tab on Linux - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] Alt+tab on Linux (/showthread.php?tid=2142)

Alt+tab on Linux - Exitium - 09-16-2011

As some of you may be aware, this feature does not work on most id Tech-based games on Linux, including DarkPlaces.

I was wondering that could this feature be fixed in Xonotic, so Linux users could alt+tab their games without any tweaks? Of course alternative way to "alt+tab" is to run Xonotic on different X server, but this requires some knowledge. I remember that a few years ago I used a third-party program to alt+tab id Tech 3-based game Urban Terror on Linux, but I really don't remember the name of that tool... If making alt+tab working on Xonotic requires too much tinkering with the engine code, could that third-party program be included in default Xonotic installation? The only problem is to find the name of that program.

So, who needs this feature?

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - RaptorFX - 09-16-2011

I use alt+tab really often in windows. Every time I use Linux, I wonder why it is not working and it bothers me. So I really support this demand Smile

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - CuBe0wL - 09-16-2011

vid_netwmfullscreen 1, and you have alt+tab in linux too.

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - frostwyrm333 - 09-16-2011

Its a X problem, defaultly no fullscreen application can alt+tab because there is no fullscreen in X, its just window centered and nailed down in such a way it looks like fullscreen, you can try that thing but expect all sorts of ridiculous behaviour.

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - clanclanclan - 09-17-2011

If you're using a tiling WM (like DWM or xmonad), try turning vid_fullscreen to 0 and vid_resizable to 1 or 2. Simply set the desired resolution in Nexuiz and let your tiling WM resize the window for you, but remember that the WM will only receive mouse + keyboard events when the console is open.

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - mand1nga - 09-17-2011

(09-16-2011, 03:37 AM)C.Brutail Wrote: vid_netwmfullscreen 1, and you have alt+tab in linux too.

Does anyone know why this isn't a default yet?

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - divVerent - 09-18-2011

Because it can't change the resolution.

If it could (e.g. via XRandR), it'd be default now.

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - Maddin - 09-22-2012

Sorry for resurrecting this thread, but I have this issue and couldn´t manage to make it work with the solutions mentioned above. Using the sdl executable (for glx it´s the same) and vid_netwmfullscreen 1 doesn´t work (using Gnome 2 with Ubuntu 10.10 btw). Any further ideas?

RE: Alt+tab on Linux - Mr. Bougo - 09-22-2012

vid_netwmfullscreen 1 requires a restart. Are you sure it's properly saved?

Did so. I noticed that it resets the cvar to 0 every time I start the game, so I added the command to my launcher but still it doesn´t work.

But it is set to 1 now, right?

I'm really not sure what else to say. Can you still alt-tab out when the xonotic console is up?

It is set to 1, yes.

No, I can´t tab out even if the console is up. Also tried that in game, no difference.

That's very unusual. What's the value of the vid_grabkeyboard cvar?

vid_grabkeyboard is set to 0, even with 1 there isn´t any difference.