Xonotic Forums
Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Server Administration (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Thread: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server (/showthread.php?tid=4152)

Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - FoGia - 05-25-2013

Hi all,

I've been playing quite a lot the Overkill mod and I love it. The MoN Server is also one of the most popular server of Xonotic.
The server is victim of its success, packet loss is proportional to players which results in unplayable games.
I can't remember since how long that problem is present but this is boring many people.

Where is it coming from? Is it a software or a hardware issue?

Best,
FoGia

RE: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - end user - 05-25-2013

(05-25-2013, 12:29 PM)FoGia Wrote: Hi all,

I've been playing quite a lot the Overkill mod and I love it. The MoN Server is also one of the most popular server of Xonotic.
The server is victim of its success, packet loss is proportional to players which results in unplayable games.
I can't remember since how long that problem is present but this is boring many people.

Where is it coming from? Is it a software or a hardware issue?

Best,
FoGia

Whats the hardware like? And how many people are on the server?

RE: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - Mr. Bougo - 05-25-2013

We should draw the attention of the MoN server admins to this thread. Does anyone know who they are? Is there any contact info in the server MOTD?

RE: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - FoGia - 05-25-2013

(05-25-2013, 12:31 PM)end user Wrote: Whats the hardware like? And how many people are on the server?

No idea about the hardware, the server is repeatidly reporting overload messages though.
There are 16 slots on the server.

RE: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - end user - 05-25-2013

(05-25-2013, 12:59 PM)FoGia Wrote:
(05-25-2013, 12:31 PM)end user Wrote: Whats the hardware like? And how many people are on the server?

No idea about the hardware, the server is repeatidly reporting overload messages though.
There are 16 slots on the server.

I think it might be running several instances of the game server. Usually the MON vehicle servers gets like that with 12 players.

RE: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - zykure - 05-26-2013

MoN people are hanging around in #mon.xonotic on QuakeNet, and there is the #mon.sa server channel (including rcon2irc).

However, others and myself have talked to the admins about this some timo ago, but it seems to be pretty hard to find where these lagspikes are coming from. Server load seems normal (iirc they also upgrade the server somewhat), but still you have huge lagspikes when playing on the server.

I guess help would be appreciated, but as long as you don't know what the problem actually is, well... :/

RE: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - FoGia - 05-26-2013

WTWRP has setup an alternative Overkill server, the pl problem doesn't seem to appear there. I hope players will notice it so that we can compare (but today many ppl simply have continued playing on the MoN server).

RE: Finding a solution for the [MoN] Overkill [MOD] server - end user - 05-26-2013

I've had 18 people on my Vehicle server using the Spire map which is huge with no issues but its not modified much so there might be some setting that is causing slow downs. I noticed on the MON server its usually after 12 people are playing.