Xonotic Forums
[SUGGESTION] Console during map-change - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Suggestion Box (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: [SUGGESTION] Console during map-change (/showthread.php?tid=522)

Pages: 1 2

Console during map-change - -Lo- - 06-01-2010

As you may know, if you connect to a server or the map is changed you see the open console for a few seconds. I've not tested any Xonotic GIT yet, but if this feature is still there, I suggest to replace the visible console with a map picture or just the xonotic logo.

Imo the open console looks a bit unprofessional for the average user.

RE: Console during map-change - kuniu the frogg - 06-01-2010

but thanks to this feature you can have a conversation while downloading the map Smile

RE: Console during map-change - Hypnosekröte - 06-01-2010

ya its because xonotic is for 1337 haxx0r$ and there must be a console XD

RE: Console during map-change - tankmiche - 06-01-2010

(06-01-2010, 04:25 AM)-Lo- Wrote: I suggest to replace the visible console with a map picture or just the xonotic logo.
-Lo-, consider the background picture for the loading process says "loading...", so the average user can have a hint that the system is loading.
Additionally, unless some serious progress bar mechanism is implemented, the console may show some messages regarding the loading process and/or related problems.

(06-01-2010, 04:25 AM)-Lo- Wrote: Imo the open console looks a bit unprofessional for the average user.

Mh, I had never thought the console could be unprofessional, but it's true that some users tend to misinterpret it as a problem (and/or hate to read things, but that's their problem IMHO).

RE: Console during map-change - -Lo- - 06-01-2010

I mean, whoever needs a console during map change or server connecting (because the status of connecting is displayed for example) could activate this feature optionally.

For me it just doesn't look good. But of course this is nothing of priority, it's just another little suggestion.

RE: Console during map-change - clanclanclan - 06-01-2010

I have a non-technical savvy friend, who often makes remarks about the "unprofessional appearance" of consoles and text based user interfaces, particularly with regards to games.

Although I support the control this gives to the user, think that a more suitable alternative could be the use of loading.tga in front of an x colour background, where all of the graphical functions (ie, messagemode & scoreboard) are available, as well as a smaller, frame-less console showing output for debugging purposes.

Here's a mockup: http://gomockingbird.com/mockingbird/index.html?project=1c1229bba9b77dea09817e20fb6f83bf68e9c1fc (ty Mockingbird Big Grin)

Edit: Perhaps a CVar to control whether it shows console on map download?

RE: Console during map-change - Lee_Stricklin - 06-01-2010

I always thought the console was frickin' cool.

RE: Console during map-change - FruitieX - 06-01-2010

Here would be my mockup...
[Image: co5mi0os1fgxbkw1wkvj_thumb.png]

RE: Console during map-change - kojn^ - 06-01-2010

Something like that would be sweet FrutieX..me likes the font. Good idea Lo Smile

RE: Console during map-change - harry_ftw - 06-01-2010

It would be nice to be able to see the scoreboard (as in clanclanclan's mockup) while downloading a map.

RE: Console during map-change - Sepelio - 06-01-2010

Perhaps this loading screen could show 'tips' and what not. Just bits of information that might help out new players or be of general interest.

Info on movement, ways to use weapons etc. or even little bits of fiction about the different characters/playermodels/maps.

RE: Console during map-change - Fisume - 06-01-2010

I agree, the loading screen should show some basic tips or a short description of a weapon. I might do a small concept when I find some time.

RE: Console during map-change - Roanoke - 06-01-2010

Ideally, I think it should be frutiex's concept, with a screenshot of the map in the background (not scaled up) with a simple scoreboard (with a transparent background so it's always visible) and the loading line should read "Loading [mapname] ([mapfilename]). This would make it clear for newbs and still have use for pros.

RE: Console during map-change - XV22 - 06-01-2010

I do think that it should be changed.
I like fuitiex's version a lot.
or even better change fruitiex mockup as follows:
- remove console, show only chat, and a box to enter messages so u don't have to open console and type "say ...." (very good for ppl new to Xonotic who don't know commands).
- show score board as harry_ftw said
- make console available with ~, just like how u can get it in game, so it's available if u want it; not enforced.

- maybe this should be changeable via game settings; i.e. switch between new version and old one.

I think this is one of the things that really should be changed to attract more ppl to Xonotic, Kojin has a thread about this topic.

RE: Console during map-change - DiaboliK - 06-01-2010

I definitely think console needs to stay open at map change by default because of error reports, etc.

EDIT: So yes, I agree with FruitieX's idea. I do not agree with XV22 for the reason stated above.

RE: Console during map-change - Roanoke - 06-01-2010

I'm with dib on this one. Console is immensely useful. However, the chat box should not require me to write "say" since it is a chat box.

RE: Console during map-change - clanclanclan - 06-02-2010

I like the look of FruitieX's mockup, was bored so here's that + scoreboard:

[Image: 4zbn1v0kmus9nek1yhv_thumb.png]

RE: Console during map-change - -Lo- - 06-02-2010

(06-01-2010, 10:05 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: I definitely think console needs to stay open at map change by default because of error reports, etc.

I agree that it's important for development to see the console. However i dont agree with "default". How often do you really need these reports if you dont notice anything wrong during a game and the loading doesnt take forever. Imo it's not necessary if you just want to play a few matches - and it doesnt look good.

RE: Console during map-change - Roanoke - 06-02-2010

(06-02-2010, 01:52 AM)clanclanclan Wrote: I like the look of FruitieX's mockup, was bored so here's that + scoreboard:
Too small!

(06-02-2010, 07:04 AM)-Lo- Wrote: I agree that it's important for development to see the console. However i dont agree with "default". How often do you really need these reports if you dont notice anything wrong during a game and the loading doesnt take forever. Imo it's not necessary if you just want to play a few matches - and it doesnt look good.
It's not just reports, you can disconnect from server, connect to other server, etc. etc. It's not an eyesore because it goes with the colors of the background image.

RE: Console during map-change - clanclanclan - 06-03-2010

Roanoke Wrote:Too small!

Fixed.

Edit: Oh, and twss

RE: Console during map-change - CuBe0wL - 06-03-2010

Haven't read through all, but this feature is requested long ago at the dev tracker. Also, you can't chat from console while loading a map, because that allows one o flood the server. It was abused several times in Nexuiz, but afaik this is fixed now. I don't know if this patch is in GIT or not, but on DCC you can't chat to others while loading a map.

RE: Console during map-change - clanclanclan - 06-03-2010

C.Brutail Wrote:Haven't read through all, but this feature is requested long ago at the dev tracker. Also, you can't chat from console while loading a map, because that allows one o flood the server. It was abused several times in Nexuiz, but afaik this is fixed now. I don't know if this patch is in GIT or not, but on DCC you can't chat to others while loading a map.

I've never heard of this happening. Doesn't flood control work regardless of whether the message was entered in the console or while map loads or whatever, or am I getting confused?

RE: Console during map-change - Roanoke - 06-03-2010

I like clan3x's concept, except the scoreboard should have a transparent black bg (like the console/chat area)

RE: Console during map-change - XV22 - 06-03-2010

(06-01-2010, 10:05 PM)DiaboliK Wrote: I definitely think console needs to stay open at map change by default because of error reports, etc.

EDIT: So yes, I agree with FruitieX's idea. I do not agree with XV22 for the reason stated above.

maybe it should be automatically opened when errors happen then.
and for warnings, I think it can be ignored.

remember that I'm talking from an ordinary user/gamer perspective, I actually do like the console.
And I also suggested that there can be an option to switch back to normal full console display.

RE: Console during map-change - Roanoke - 06-04-2010

It's not making anything worse for anyone this way - I don't understand why it needs to be hidden.