Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - kuniu the frogg - 05-11-2011

i love glowing electro!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Halogene - 05-11-2011

I love it without any reservation.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 05-11-2011

Thanks everyone, glad you like Smile

I don't believe projectiles could be made to use the glowmod color. Since AFAIK, colors coded for particles in effectinfo.txt cannot be changed dynamically. But I also believe this wouldn't be a good idea, and projectiles are best to retain their color.

And yes, the Nex doesn't use this because its glowmod indicates charge. If you wish to see player glow on the Nex, disable Nex charge from balancing settings, and it will work like the other weapons.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - jaykay - 05-11-2011

the laser, rocket launcher, shotgun and mortar look weird with the glow. they're the oldskool weapons, imo a coloured glow does not fit to them.

and i'm not sure whether weaponglowcolor = playercolor is a good idea, just look at the pink shotgun...

but the green electro is just awesome. blue mg and orange hagar likewise.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Sepelio - 05-11-2011

(05-11-2011, 08:54 AM)jaykay Wrote: the laser, rocket launcher, shotgun and mortar look weird with the glow. they're the oldskool weapons, imo a coloured glow does not fit to them.

and i'm not sure whether weaponglowcolor = playercolor is a good idea, just look at the pink shotgun...

but the green electro is just awesome. blue mg and orange hagar likewise.

Maybe just for team games its an idea to have...

One advantage is that if there are glowing weapons, people cant hide in the dark Tongue

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Fisume - 05-11-2011

This looks epic!!! It should be added by default for the Shotgun (red) and the Crylink (purple) imo.

Any chance using it without GIT? Would like to see how it looks on a vid i'm working on.

Randomized loading screens, 12 in total. 1024 x 2048 (filling any widescreen), each showing a different character with a different map background, in a different color. mirceakitsune/new_loading_screens

[Image: an7fmyjikpsf64pi3q9l_thumb.jpg] [Image: pwgnyoeloscpl24yu5xm_thumb.jpg] [Image: eq2h0l1h2y63yo8s55o7_thumb.jpg] [Image: 0xpcmefftktnubhss7xp_thumb.jpg] [Image: pjzh4nzghzum5bbl8gjd_thumb.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - FruitieX - 05-11-2011

(05-11-2011, 05:21 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Randomized loading screens, 12 in total. 1024 x 2048 (filling any widescreen), each showing a different character with a different map background, in a different color. mirceakitsune/new_loading_screens

[Image: an7fmyjikpsf64pi3q9l_thumb.jpg] [Image: pwgnyoeloscpl24yu5xm_thumb.jpg] [Image: eq2h0l1h2y63yo8s55o7_thumb.jpg] [Image: 0xpcmefftktnubhss7xp_thumb.jpg] [Image: pjzh4nzghzum5bbl8gjd_thumb.jpg]

Really? :O
Does it unload them from memory after the load screen is gone? Otherwise I guess this is a huge VRAM hog.
Can we do the text as a string drawn by the engine? Or does it have to be in the image itself... Former would be best, would allow for lots more tips/easy updates.

(05-11-2011, 07:21 PM)FruitieX Wrote: Really? :O
Does it unload them from memory after the load screen is gone? Otherwise I guess this is a huge VRAM hog.
Can we do the text as a string drawn by the engine? Or does it have to be in the image itself... Former would be best, would allow for lots more tips/easy updates.

I don't know about that, haven't looked into the engine code. I just enabled the feature for multiple loading images, which was already there. I'm guessing it should unload them. If not, that would be something to poke a DP developer about.

As for messages being strings (I will add tip / hint messages to all loading screens tomorrow), that would require engine changes that I'm don't know how to do nor am willing get into right now. If someone else can figure it out, that would be wonderful and indeed better. Either way, the source of the loading screens is included in mediasource (each shape on its own layer), so they can be easily edited if you have GIMP or Photoshop. But yes, text strings would be best... if someone who knows the engine code wishes to implement them.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - theShadow - 05-11-2011

those would look better if the player models had some dynamic shadows. as it is, they kind of look like they are "floating" over the image. (you should be able to add some fake dynamic shadows in PS or something.)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 05-12-2011

(05-11-2011, 08:34 PM)theShadow Wrote: those would look better if the player models had some dynamic shadows. as it is, they kind of look like they are "floating" over the image. (you should be able to add some fake dynamic shadows in PS or something.)

Yeah, I noticed that. I was planning to blur the background and make it more abstract initially, but I guess I'll leave it as it is. So I'll try adding drop shadows to all of the characters today.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - theShadow - 05-12-2011

rather than a drop shadow, I would suggest taking the the shape of the player model, copying it to a new layer, and giving it a black overlay and adjusting the alpha a little, so you can see the ground through it. then distort it so it looks like it is parallel to the ground.

http://www.techtut.com/Tutorial/Photoshop/11-Create-shadow-in-Photoshop.html
here is a more in depth explanation. its in an older version of PS, but it should still work.

of course, if thats what you were going to do anyway, then just ignore me :p

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Samual - 05-12-2011

I honestly don't think the images are all that good Undecided I especially think it's bad to put the logo up top like that. Needs to be centered but it can have dynamically changing backgrounds.

But, the concept is fine -- Also: we CAN do the strings from text rendering itself. However, I don't know how to do this properly as the way the current loading screen is drawn in the engine is FUCKING CONFUSING AS SHIT. Maybe LordHavoc or divVerent could implement this easily, but it would take me several hours to figure out how it should be done properly. (It's easy to just draw the string, but I get the feeling there's more to it)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - nowego4 - 05-12-2011

As to the shadow issue, you could just render it in blender with a ground plane material set to "shadow only", then overlay it over the map image.

Anyone hungry?
[Image: ookhv6hedyvvr680dzw_thumb.png]
Alternative colors:
[Image: 5vg3ii36amh49bgvm8q_thumb.png]

Finally some decent Open Source restaurants Big Grin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Sepelio - 05-12-2011

LOL thats excellent. I feel it needs more puns though.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - sev - 05-12-2011

nowego4 ftw. Though the player models are a bit too bright for my taste, the idea and setup sure is great.
(Maybe use a satellite billboard instead of one on pillars?)

I think we should have more silly stuff Big Grin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Lee_Stricklin - 05-12-2011

LOL at the bar and grill sign. We should mix random funny BS like that with more serious gameplay for the load screens. Maybe there should be a batch of load screens specific to April fool's day as well lol though I think there might have to be some coding done for that.

I was thinking maybe have a few in game action shots as in addition to what was posted here. maybe take a few stills from a video.

actually, this gives me an idea for a map...

[Image: 0954_4_lg.jpg]

bonus points for who can tell me what that's from

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Exitium - 05-12-2011

(05-12-2011, 01:20 PM)nowego4 Wrote: As to the shadow issue, you could just render it in blender with a ground plane material set to "shadow only", then overlay it over the map image.

Anyone hungry?
[Image: ookhv6hedyvvr680dzw_thumb.png]
Alternative colors:
[Image: 5vg3ii36amh49bgvm8q_thumb.png]

Finally some decent Open Source restaurants Big Grin

These pictures must be included in the next public release. Maybe on the main page? Big Grin Epic.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 05-12-2011

LOL! Those pics look nice Big Grin Makes me think how it would be if we had a Xonotic comic xD

Anyway, I finally finished my loading screens after a day of tweaking. Characters now contain drop shadows and a bloom effect, as well as tips associated with each loading image. New screenshots with some of the final screens:

[Image: 8s8tl2wqgzmp2czqx6xi_thumb.jpg] [Image: 21mv0p9brq814qaw7i6a_thumb.jpg] [Image: 1dbxgfsxk7f10jm3o9_thumb.jpg] [Image: 8hltx920u9ldsusfxiq_thumb.jpg] [Image: ilq5yc1ezbuffau05dyu_thumb.jpg] [Image: sro9ul2l55h1advht2gg_thumb.jpg] [Image: wztvaun4y2rkrigaocxl_thumb.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - kuniu the frogg - 05-12-2011

(05-12-2011, 03:01 PM)theShadow Wrote: bonus points for who can tell me what that's from

phew, Space Balls of course Heart

[Image: spaceballs_large_12.jpg]

lol, comb the desert!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - nowego4 - 05-12-2011

What have I started?

Thanks for the brainwaves, sev and Sepelio. I think I will try putting it on an asteroid...

Exitium: I don't think it's done yet, but when it is I wouldn't mind the publicity Wink

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Exitium - 05-13-2011

(05-12-2011, 03:33 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: LOL! Those pics look nice Big Grin Makes me think how it would be if we had a Xonotic comic xD

Anyway, I finally finished my loading screens after a day of tweaking. Characters now contain drop shadows and a bloom effect, as well as tips associated with each loading image. New screenshots with some of the final screens:

*pictures*

Awesome work! However, I think you have to remake them if Xonotic gets new weapon models + some pictures needs polishing IMO... Big Grin Concept is very good, however.

I think that those tips shouldn't be included in the image. It should be completely different element, so we can make more tips without so many loading pics and same pic could have different tip every time. Also font is more readable on different resolutions, it might be blurry if player have different screen resolution than the image has.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 05-13-2011

Yeah... if the existing weapons are changed, I would have to remake some of the characters. Though that's not so important I think, at least for now.

And yes, everyone's been asking if the tips could be coded as a string instead. I'll try to see if this is possible to code in the engine (as it's obviously the only way where it can be done during loading). Waiting for my fix with loading screen caching to be merged first, to avoid code conflicts. But this is something I really have no idea if I can do... especially outside of the cvars / by using a text file for each tip.