Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 11-05-2012

That's nice. Will it be free software?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cyber Killer - 11-05-2012

(11-05-2012, 02:28 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: That's nice. Will it be free software?

the about box in the screenshot says it's under GNU GPLv3

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 11-05-2012

Right, it´s free software licensed under GPLv3. Wink

Oopsy. Sorry about that, I brushed over this.

EDIT: I forgot to say that's great news Smile

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 11-05-2012

HOW should this thing be useful?

Yeah, better stop coding this right now because Cortez won't touch it and that makes it unworthy.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 11-05-2012

Yeah, you´re right. It´s so useless to create such a thing, I just wasted my time with this. Probably it will only fill your computer only with garbage...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 11-05-2012

honestly how should this be better? you just said it makes stuff easier, but no examples.

It improves discoverability of q3map2 features such as -entsonly and -scale for example.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 11-06-2012

For example, yes. Though this is only one point. Others are:
- Immediately load the map after the compile finishes, no need for starting the game manually and typing in some commands or issuing the right entry in the map list. (which I think is the most important and handy feature of the tool as it makes testing a lot easier, not only for mappers but also for play testers)
- Using the full arsenal of q3map2 keywords (more than 100 different options) allowing full customisation for your compile.
- Being able to choose the right version of q3map2 for you.

Also I don´t know whether you, Cortez666, did write a program yet or not but first, it gave me the ability to learn A LOT of C++ and Qt and second, giving the community something valuable back. You should not just say "Oh why should this be useful, nobody needs your garbage"; be friendly and you´ll immediately see that people will respond and treat you seriously...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - PinkRobot - 11-06-2012

Maddin, looking good. I'm a bit confused about your remarks about Linux vs Windows support. Will functionality be the same on both platforms?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 11-06-2012

Yes, of course. The user won´t notice any difference, only developers will see some platform specific lines of code. The program will be avalable for Windows 32/64bit and Linux 32/64bit. If there is any OSX user who has at least some basic skills in C++ I would be very happy if this person is willing to help me compiling the program for OSX users.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 11-06-2012

if I could pop open your little program right from netradiant ... I would be very happy ...

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Maddin - 11-07-2012

To do that there would have to be an option in NetRadiant but that´s likely not to happen yet. You would have to integrate it somehow... And there are many pros and cons to argue about whether that would be utile or not.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 11-07-2012

Ok, I feel responsible to bring this thread back to its topic (which is screenshots not one sentance posts):

If you haven't heard of Aquamortis, mabye its about time to prepare for new CTF map!

New screenshot:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90490112/aqua.jpg

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cyber Killer - 11-09-2012

[Image: ckdesktop20120631.th.png]

the first commit for the XonStat key import/exporter, plus a view of the GUI designer

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - rocknroll237 - 11-09-2012

(11-07-2012, 04:57 PM)Justin Wrote: Ok, I feel responsible to bring this thread back to its topic (which is screenshots not one sentance posts):

If you haven't heard of Aquamortis, mabye its about time to prepare for new CTF map!

New screenshot:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/90490112/aqua.jpg

Looking forward to your new map! It certainly looks interesting.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - s1lence - 11-09-2012

(11-09-2012, 02:25 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: [Image: ckdesktop20120631.th.png]

the first commit for the XonStat key import/exporter, plus a view of the GUI designer

that GUI seems to be making things a lot more complicated then they need to be, but still a very useful tool.

Hmm... I don't think there's much that is possible to be removed. Maybe I could remove the destination file element and ask for the file when the import or export is clicked. The import and expor buttons and checkboxes are shown disabled, cause they will get activated based on the files found (i.e. the backup checkbox won't be possible to select if there isn't any existing key in the game directory and so on). The detection is going to be automatic after directory or file selection, the re-detect button is for special cases only (like the user changed the key files while the app was running),

Suggestions how to improve it are welcome.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 11-09-2012

Can you give a direct link? I can't seem to zoom in on imageshack images, even with ads and javascript enabled. Maybe I need a premium account or something.

Can't you get rid of the destination directory bit and just prompt the user when they actually export the key?

direct link: http://img820.imageshack.us/img820/9956/ckdesktop20120631.png

I just said that about the destination :-).

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Mr. Bougo - 11-09-2012

Ow, I was sure I had read the whole post but I guess I didn't. I'm really sorry about that.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - s1lence - 11-09-2012

(11-09-2012, 04:39 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Hmm... I don't think there's much that is possible to be removed. Maybe I could remove the destination file element and ask for the file when the import or export is clicked.

Suggestions how to improve it are welcome.

I don't personally see why the GUI has to be any more complicated than this:
[Image: 395VLY8TQdmDvRezXuCHzZ]

The 'destination file' paradigm needs to be removed anyway, since it is confusing. (IMPORT from destination???)

The 'redetect' button doesn't make sense, unless i'm confused as to its function. If you change the location of the file while the application is open, wouldn't you just browse for it again?

I'm also wondering, what does 'remove public key' do?

edit: damn, my classy-as-fuck drop shadow doesn't show up on this board.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cyber Killer - 11-10-2012

(11-09-2012, 11:17 PM)s1lencer Wrote: I don't personally see why the GUI has to be any more complicated than this:
That's not simple, that's simplistic and unfunctional. The directory needs at least to be editable from the keyboard :-P

Quote:The 'destination file' paradigm needs to be removed anyway, since it is confusing. (IMPORT from destination???)
That's agreed already - I'll remove it.

Quote:The 'redetect' button doesn't make sense, unless i'm confused as to its function. If you change the location of the file while the application is open, wouldn't you just browse for it again?
it for this scenario:
- the app enables/disables buttons and checkboxes based on the files that it finds in the xonotic user dir (e.g. if there's no keyfile then export won't work, if there's no existing keyfile there's no point in doing a backup of nothing when importing). This will be detected on the app start and after each import or export operation and direcotry change, but if the user changes the files in the xonotic dir (e.g. removes the key by himself) while the app is running, then he can use this to recheck and enable/disable app functions. Though if this is really such a problem then I'll rethink this.

Quote:I'm also wondering, what does 'remove public key' do?
There are 2 keys in the userdir - the public and the private one. You only need the private one, cause the public is regenerated from it if needed. Now I don't know how the game will behave when you import a new private key, but a different public key is already in place. Hence this checkbox. It's intended for some time later, then I'll check if this is really needed (or if somebody knows, then let me know)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - s1lence - 11-10-2012

(11-10-2012, 01:56 AM)Cyber Killer Wrote:
(11-09-2012, 11:17 PM)s1lencer Wrote: I don't personally see why the GUI has to be any more complicated than this:
That's not simple, that's simplistic and unfunctional. The directory needs at least to be editable from the keyboard :-P

the directory is editable from the keyboard under most use cases, if the edit button is given highest priority for keyboard navigation (tab key) the the interaction pattern is [tab][enter][type directory name in the file chooser]

this way it is less easy to accidentally edit this field.