Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Black-Dragon131 - 03-04-2013

Here a preview of a texturepack I'm working on:

[Image1]
[Image2]
[Image3]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - machine! - 03-06-2013

Very nice! Good job.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - anark10n - 03-07-2013

Okay, managed to get some work in on the shotgun I've been working on, hopefully I'll get more time to work on my other weapon concepts. Also, you can blend file for this one on opengameart.org. just search "shotgun" and you'll find it, can't miss it.

.png   shotgun_side.png (Size: 324.27 KB / Downloads: 512)

.png   shotgun_ob.png (Size: 550.62 KB / Downloads: 523)

.png   shotgun_fps.png (Size: 254.99 KB / Downloads: 509)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Squigger - 03-07-2013

Looking awesome Big Grin

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 03-07-2013

(03-07-2013, 06:03 AM)anark10n Wrote: Okay, managed to get some work in on the shotgun I've been working on, hopefully I'll get more time to work on my other weapon concepts. Also, you can blend file for this one on opengameart.org. just search "shotgun" and you'll find it, can't miss it.

Hard to hope that awesome model will get to be a Xonotic weapon in master, since other models got abandoned or not accepted for other reasons. But I'll try Smile

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - anark10n - 03-07-2013

(03-07-2013, 12:03 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: Hard to hope that awesome model will get to be a Xonotic weapon in master, since other models got abandoned or not accepted for other reasons. But I'll try Smile

Okay, thanks. Just so you know, the current revision isn't the finished one though as I plan on animating it as well.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 03-07-2013

Amazing model, but there is one problem: Its style fits more some lego game or cartoon-like, rather then Xonotic. It just looks like made of lego pieces (damn I loved playing with lego when I was younger.... but Im afraid nowadays its not the same stuff.)
[Image: lego-1.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - machine! - 03-07-2013

Great job, although I would agree it doesn't seem to fit Xonotic's overall style. This could probably be easily fix by changing the colors slightly.

Here's some guidelines for modelers and such at the wiki:
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Artistic_Style
http://dev.xonotic.org/projects/xonotic/wiki/Art_Roadmap

It would be sad if such cool model doesn't make it into master.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - sev - 03-07-2013

That is an awesome model and could easily become the best-looking weapon so far.
The main reason why it has a cartoonish feel is the placeholder texture.

Ultimately, the people who decide how Xonotic looks are the ones who bother to create content.
Personally speaking, if that's the art direction, I'm all for it.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - machine! - 03-07-2013

Yes, I agree with you, I just linked to it so that it could easier get into the game, it seems that some models didn't get into the game while still being very good looking, for example wasen't there a new Crylink model which for some reason couldn't get in game?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 03-07-2013

The problem there is just no defined art direction and everybody argues about what is xonotic-like and whats not

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 03-07-2013

We must do something, or we wil end up with Nexuiz effect

ps love lego as well

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 03-08-2013

What about a working project lead with a clear idea of a direction for xonotic?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Lee_Stricklin - 03-09-2013

That's easily the coolest looking weapon I've seen for the game. To make it fit with the current look of the game, it just needs a minor color change/correction.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - rafallus - 03-09-2013

Yep, some less flashy colors and it will be fine.

Is it animated?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - anark10n - 03-10-2013

Not animated yet. It's in the plans though, after I come up with a better colour scheme.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 03-14-2013

A map I am messing with.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - monad - 04-08-2013

Mapping again Smile

[Image: lemORa5.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 04-08-2013

@aa

that looks awesome ... :3

@monad
very ... um ... orange? ...

looks intriguing

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - bitbomb - 04-09-2013

I suddenly want to smash an Apple IIc... MARBLE MADNESS!!!

And that shotgun is looking SICK. Heavy duty, machined parts, looks formidable. I'm not sure why the color is being discussed though, doesn't look like it's textured yet.

Love the 'Alien' look of aa's map too. So much good stuff.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Archer - 04-09-2013

The shotgun model is nice.. But I don't see why it has to be a shotgun, or why the current shotgun model is bad.. I personally love it, it's very distinguishable with the three barrels, never seen that before in any game.

Couldn't the new model be a better replacement for some other weapon? Rocket-launcher, Crylink, Grenade-launcher? It looks kinda too heavy for a shotgun compared to how the other weapons look.

The new one has the triple barrel too, it's closer to the super nailgun from Quake. It would look pretty cool in action, I think. It looks pretty heavy too, seems more believable that that one will do melee damage over the current model. I don't dislike the current model, it's just a little pipe-fitting-y, like plumbing or something. Seems like the current shotgun could stand to look a little hurtier, but that's just me. Anark10n's WIP looks pretty hurty.

(Not that I think we NEED a new weapon but Anark10n's WIP could also work as a needlegun, but a central advantage to those is their effectiveness under water where conventional bullets are pretty useless.)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Archer - 04-09-2013

(04-09-2013, 08:27 AM)bitbomb Wrote: The new one has the triple barrel too, it's closer to the super nailgun from Quake. It would look pretty cool in action, I think. It looks pretty heavy too, seems more believable that that one will do melee damage over the current model. I don't dislike the current model, it's just a little pipe-fitting-y, like plumbing or something. Seems like the current shotgun could look more hurty, but that's just me. Anark10n's WIP looks pretty hurty.

I don't see three barrels, only two ontop, and some triangle hole in the middle, and some other things that seem like barrels (or not), can't really distinguish it easily. I assume third barrel is behind the triangle hole.

You see, the model is so detailed (front part especially) that it looks rather fragile, it's not something you want to use to smash up somebody as the parts could mess up, while the original shotgun looks plain and solid, like something that wouldn't break when cracking some skulls.

Also, it would look pretty impractical to use something that's big as this to slap somebody with.

Besides, if the shotgun already looks this 'big', most of the other weapons like the rocket launcher for example would be kind-of disappointing in looks, unless they all get re-done.

But yeah, that's just how I feel about it, and probably how most others don't feel about it Tongue

It's on a spindle, the third barrel is in firing position. It's hard to see because of the coloration, I didn't see it at first either. It's easiest to see by looking at the triangular orientation at the back of the barrels in the third image, or in the second image, the furniture on the front of the barrels. Otherwise the two barrels on top would make no sense.

And the solid blue/green blocks on the front corners look like they're made to hit stuff with. It would need a little simplification/beefing up but I think it takes some looking at to get past the weapon looking 'framey' and fragile, it's actually fairly solid and has a lot of material to it. The rod on the bottom would probably have to be taken back so the front only consists of striking surfaces. I dunno, that's just the way I see it.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 04-09-2013

I stand with archer on this one ...

The shotgun could use an updated model ... But I like the current design ...

This model is just so ... complicated
Too complicated with all these little parts and things sticking out with no obvious use...
I suggest Anark10n should use this style for something like the crylink .. Not the humble shotgun