Xonotic Forums
Screenshots of what you're doing. - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Creating & Contributing (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=10)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Editing and Concept Art (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: Screenshots of what you're doing. (/showthread.php?tid=69)

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - bitbomb - 04-09-2013

Indeed, it's complex for a 'humble' weapon, seems like it could be humbled. I think the lack of perceived solidity also has a lot to do with the fact that the barrels are separated instead of bundled together like the current shotgun. But yes, I just assumed a lot of the extra 'doodads' would be removed during the process of making it game appropriate.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Jhonny - 04-10-2013

Hei Ho , i started mapping around, take a look at my results if you want Big Grin hope u like it Wink

[Image: iixfpbki5usvtak3timg_thumb.jpg] [Image: ge430fxeta8wa0xmu60_thumb.jpg] [Image: zrnj01nsaknkgrk6j1b_thumb.jpg]
[Image: w6eruog5ux0q58bwlu_thumb.jpg] [Image: r6x6aszodabfe7gpdspe_thumb.jpg] [Image: kir8e179ev9y84ghqe7_thumb.jpg]
[Image: uwb3wflvp9forj4zx2kh_thumb.jpg] [Image: 90i0ho6p82paygz9113_thumb.jpg] [Image: dphyscpwpo5fpxovjpl_thumb.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - poVoq - 04-10-2013

You need to work on the perceived scale and add some more details, but for a first map it looks quite nice already.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Archer - 04-10-2013

(04-09-2013, 10:50 AM)bitbomb Wrote: Indeed, it's complex for a 'humble' weapon, seems like it could be humbled. I think the lack of perceived solidity also has a lot to do with the fact that the barrels are separated instead of bundled together like the current shotgun. But yes, I just assumed a lot of the extra 'doodads' would be removed during the process of making it game appropriate.

Exactly, that was the point I was trying to make Tongue

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 04-10-2013

Is it your first map, Jhonny?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Jhonny - 04-10-2013

Quote:You need to work on the perceived scale

jeah i know didnt do any mapping thing since nexuiz ?!

Quote:Is it your first map, Jhonny?

Well it is my first map for Xonotic, did some mapping stuff in nexuiz already but had a break about 3 or 4 or 5 years i think ?! dont know anymore

... and because of the break i forgot a lot about the netradiant :/ and there are not many usefull tutorials on the internet for some actions ... :/

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 04-10-2013

yeah ... about tutorials ... im working on that ... slowly ... :/

anyways ... the main diffrences between nexuiz and xonotic mapping ...

-- xonotic maps have to be a little bit bigger ... cause xonotic is a little bit faster
-- all of our textures are high quality now ... (trak4x or higher)
-- there is a collection of models for jumpads, lights, crates and stuff ... you dont have to use them ... but they are there
-- you can make warpzones :O
-- light compileing was tweaked ... so lights will compile brighter than they do in nexuiz
-- we have vehicles
-- the minsta nex can be placed in a normal map as a limited time super weapon

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Jhonny - 04-11-2013

Quote:xonotic maps have to be a little bit bigger ... cause xonotic is a little bit faster
-- all of our textures are high quality now ... (trak4x or higher)
-- there is a collection of models for jumpads, lights, crates and stuff ... you dont have to use them ... but they are there
-- you can make warpzones :O
-- light compileing was tweaked ... so lights will compile brighter than they do in nexuiz
-- we have vehicles
-- the minsta nex can be placed in a normal map as a limited time super weapon

jeah i know most of the things, it is not difficult to build warpzones and i only use the high quality textures that came as i opened up the netradiant but got still some problems ^^ but thanks for reply!

and btw
Quote:-- the minsta nex can be placed in a normal map as a limited time super weapon

sure u dont mean "...as a limited time SUPA DOOPA ULTRA MEGA weapon" ? Tongue

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 04-11-2013

Quote:Well it is my first map for Xonotic, did some mapping stuff in nexuiz already but had a break about 3 or 4 or 5 years i think ?! dont know anymore

... and because of the break i forgot a lot about the netradiant :/ and there are not many usefull tutorials on the internet for some actions ... :/

When it comes to netradiant you will figure everything out eventually (considering that you allready used it before), there are plenty of topics and threads spread around the internet that covers technical side of mapping. I will be more then happy to help you when Im done with exams and important stuff.

When it comes to level designing there is this tutorial:

http://www.reachingperfection.com/p/forge-lessons.html

It covers everything you need to know about making your map polished, balanced and great overall. I wish you good luck, friend with mapping.

PS: As a first map for Xonotic it looks very solid! I like lamp models you did there. Try to make everything less clean and well ordered, add some chaos to make it more realistic!

i worked always with the basics shown in these german tutorials (http://www.haradirki.de/tutor/) for the gtk radiant i think those are for Q3 but it did very well in nexuiz last time i think Big Grin

i will try to get through the rechingperfection website! thanks for that!

one problem is in the netradiant my map looks so messy ^^ sometimes i get really confused ^^
but when i take a look on maps in xonotic and look at them in the radiant my brain feels like exploding ^^ becuase its so full of things i still dont understand Tongue ^^

i will try your tutorials!
cu

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 04-11-2013

yeah ...
xoylent has a ton of complicated things that ... are complicated ...
stormkeep has a race map built into it ... (with walls that only appear/vanish in race or dm mode) ... so ... complicated

g23 and drain are probably good maps to look at in the editor

actually i got the biggest problems with geting creative ideas for the floors / grounds ... never get an idea for that .. it loos always .. booring .. ^^ dunno .. i dont really like the map darkzone for gaming but well thats really nice work!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Jhonny - 04-12-2013

ok i get now in the endphase of my map should i open a new thread to introduce my map? or how does this work now?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 04-12-2013

If its a testing/progress release you open a thread in editing and concept art ( or development ... There's a little disagreement on where these types of threads are supposed to go )

If its a final release then make a thread in mapping releases.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - kuniu the frogg - 04-13-2013

i think it's better to post your map in "map releases" thread even if it's not final, i see no point in posting maps in two different sections, a bit confusing and messy imo.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - hutty - 04-13-2013

yeah ... but mapping releases is for ... um releases ... its ok to edit such maps after they're released ... but things that aren't close to finished probably shouldn't go in there.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 04-13-2013

Weil, then, Map Rseases should be eassigned to general nApping.

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - kuniu the frogg - 04-13-2013

oh ok, if you want to go that way, the name of this section is "map releases", not "final map releases", so i guess beta-releases for testing should go there too Wink

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 05-09-2013

https://www.dropbox.com/s/21ra5myjsq56mey/xonotic20130509113820-00.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ul91ey7z5u46nxs/xonotic20130509113912-00.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/k7irkok4cw0mtff/xonotic20130509113933-00.jpg

time to post something

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Cortez666 - 05-09-2013

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuxs2s4ua6t3vr5/xonotic20130509194714-00.jpg

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - aa - 05-09-2013

OMG!!! 125 fps with relief mapping!!! INSANE!!! How did you do that?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - bitbomb - 05-09-2013

Looking fantastic, can't wait to see more of that!

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Justin - 05-11-2013

[Image: catscreen03.jpg]

[Image: catscreen01.jpg]

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - Majki - 05-11-2013

Justin - top down view of whole level maybe?

RE: Screenshots of what you're doing. - MirceaKitsune - 05-11-2013

(05-11-2013, 11:33 AM)Justin Wrote: ...

Been waiting for more maps in this style. Nice work Smile