Xonotic Forums
[NEEDS INFO] Linux install - Printable Version

+- Xonotic Forums (https://forums.xonotic.org)
+-- Forum: Support (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Xonotic - Help & Troubleshooting (https://forums.xonotic.org/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Thread: [NEEDS INFO] Linux install (/showthread.php?tid=7941)

Linux install - Old_Geekdad - 01-14-2019

Being new to This game
 Trying to launch after downloading to Deb Linux Nothing happens.
Checked the FAQs... What am I missing?
Dad,

RE: Linux install - Zoommair - 01-15-2019

Hi! I was having trouble too, but managed to figured it out. What file are you executing? At first double-clicking the xonotic-linux64-sdl file did nothing for me, but I checked my running processes and it was running in the background but not doing anything. I killed the process, then tried again. This time it gave me another error, something about a sessionid, but all that required was deleting the lock file in ~/.xonotic/ After that I was able to run the game no problem! Hope that helps.

RE: Linux install - Old_Geekdad - 01-15-2019

Thanks...
Killing the process did the trick after re downloading the game found additional files were extracted.
see you in Multi player action

RE: Linux install - Zoommair - 01-15-2019

(01-15-2019, 11:30 AM)Old_Geekdad Wrote: Thanks...
Killing the process did the trick after re downloading the game found additional files were extracted.
see you in Multi player action

Glad you got it working, and really awesome to have played with you today! Keep jumping, makes you harder to hit, and never stand in one place for more than a split second. If you aren't pressing W, A, S, or D at any given moment, you're dead.  Big Grin Hope to play again soon!

RE: Linux install - orkeven - 01-16-2019

(01-15-2019, 05:20 AM)Zoommair Wrote: Hi! I was having trouble too, but managed to figured it out. What file are you executing? At first double-clicking the xonotic-linux64-sdl file did nothing for me, but I checked my running processes and it was running in the background but not doing anything. I killed the process, then tried again. This time it gave me another error, something about a sessionid, but all that required was deleting the lock file in ~/.xonotic/ After that I was able to run the game no problem! Hope that helps.

Hello!
Thank you for your suggestion, but where do I find the lock file to delete? What is the lock file? I would appreciate if you could spell it out. Pardon my naivety.

RE: Linux install - martin-t - 01-16-2019

You're all on linux, right? It's possible you've accidentally launched the dedicated server (e.g. `xonotic-linux64-dedicated`) which runs silently in the background. It shares a lockfile (`~/.xonotic/lock`) with the normal executable and prevents it from launching. Kill any processes which have xonotic in the name (you might also need to remove the lockfile manually) and try again.

Use the executables with sdl or xgl in their name to launch Xonotic.

RE: Linux install - Zoommair - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 10:45 AM)orkeven Wrote:
(01-15-2019, 05:20 AM)Zoommair Wrote: Hi! I was having trouble too, but managed to figured it out. What file are you executing? At first double-clicking the xonotic-linux64-sdl file did nothing for me, but I checked my running processes and it was running in the background but not doing anything. I killed the process, then tried again. This time it gave me another error, something about a sessionid, but all that required was deleting the lock file in ~/.xonotic/ After that I was able to run the game no problem! Hope that helps.

Hello!
Thank you for your suggestion, but where do I find the lock file to delete? What is the lock file? I would appreciate if you could spell it out. Pardon my naivety.

The lock file is only necessary to delete if you have a sessionid warning, but you can find it in the directory: ~/.xonotic/

It's a hidden folder, so in your Home folder, press CTRL + H to view hidden files, and it'll show there.

RE: Linux install - Zoommair - 01-16-2019

(01-16-2019, 05:51 PM)martin-t Wrote: You're all on linux, right? It's possible you've accidentally launched the dedicated server (e.g. `xonotic-linux64-dedicated`) which runs silently in the background. It shares a lockfile (`~/.xonotic/lock`) with the normal executable and prevents it from launching. Kill any processes which have xonotic in the name (you might also need to remove the lockfile manually) and try again.

Use the executables with sdl or xgl in their name to launch Xonotic.

That's exactly what happened! I initially double-clicked dedicated and nothing happened, so I killed all processes related, but it kept giving me sessionid warnings. That's when I searched and found the issue surrounding the lock file.