Xonotic Forums

Full Version: [0.6 server] Questions Questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So I had too much free time and started thinking Smile And have questions now.

What sort of power is needed for an 0.6 server, say for 12 slots? RAM/CPU/bandwidth?

What is the stance towards unpure servers and in particular one that would try replicate old aerial, laser-mortar-rocket-nex heavy gameplay and related physics Smile ?

Pls have an answer for me folks.
i binded one server to 2 cores and the 16 slots server have 0.13% cpu and bandwith 365 bytes/ when the serve is empty and full

1.67% cpu and and bandwith 456 bytes..
(03-11-2012, 04:50 PM)asp Wrote: [ -> ]i binded one server to 2 cores and the 16 slots server have 0.13% cpu and bandwith 365 bytes/ when the serve is empty and full

1.67% cpu and and bandwith 456 bytes..

Thanx asp!
I wonder however if these numbers are accurate. I would expect bandwidth to be some three orders of magnitute higher... Also, what cores are these?
This Servers running on a Intel i7 3960X EE - 6 CPU Cores + 6 HyperThreading Cores, 3300 MHz
As far as I know, the server isn't multithreaded. Don't take my word for it, but I think the only multithreading we have in Xonotic is a separate thread for sound in the client.
Running LAN server with 12 slots on Pentium 4 1500 Mhz ( yes, i'm pervert ) 512 mb RAM. Never get more then 30% CPU
As for stance towards modded servers: If you run a modded server, you are expected to describe your mod in hostname and MOTD. That's it.
All thx for information!
Do not expect anyone to read the MOTD tough. It still expected to say its a modded server there, but my experience is that no one read it. There is a more "unavoidable" way to display info to client, sv_join_notices (set sv_join_notices "message 1 |message 2 | ... " if you want to try and make sure ppl read some info - id recommend if for any heavily modded server (see overkill for example).

as for a server req, you need (assuming nothing else major is running) abt 2-300 megs of ram and a cpu (most things will work really, unless you find a really shitty cpu or some real crazy maps/mods). As for network, its harder to say as it depends very much on map/mode and so on. Id suspect that about 2 mbit would be enough for a good 12 ppl server tough (assuming map downloads are elsewhere).
Thx. I'm thinking about running some ctf (perhaps also dm if there's enough hardware) with 2.5.2 feel + classic maps we played inside-out there in last years. We'll see if this will materialize... If it does, putting info in MOTD/server name on what this is about and where to look for tutorials should do the trick, I guess. Its still a recognized gameplay.