Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OpenGL 1.3 and 2.0: performance improvements but what are the differences?

In the video settings menu you can disable OpenGL 2.0 (vid_gl20 0), this reverts to OpenGL 1.3. This is useful when troubleshooting performance, quality and stability issues. I have some very obscure old hardware, some of which predates the early modern period, hence I find this setting useful.

It's worth trying on any old/slow hardware to see if it improves performance. Ronan went from 38 up to 103 on an old laptop with a Radeon X2300! I've had a 20% difference with a Geforce FX.

Now I know that many effects are disabled by this. We always talk about normal setting and above not working fully without OpenGL 2.0 or later. Also reflections don't work which are more importantly required for teleporters like those in Stormkeep. Is it a problem to be running without OpenGL 2.0? I know it's not ideal graphically and there is no competitive gameplay advantage that I can see but it's better than a system not being usable at all or playing under omg.

It does however raise the question if low and medium settings are compatible with the OpenGL 1.3 path due to the missing reflections.

Also there is vid_gl13 reachable in the console. Again, I can see some performance/stability advantage to be had on very old hardware but is there anything wrong with setting this to zero? What are the graphical differences that could be seen? I've noticed some z-fighting where you wouldn't normally expect.

I'm wondering if this may be a useful troubleshooting option for netbooks and other systems with onboard graphics so would it be worth changing the OpenGL 2.0 option in the video menu to include this as an option too?

Just curious on a whole load of things here.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

Messages In This Thread
OpenGL 1.3 and 2.0: performance improvements but what are the differences? - by edh - 05-10-2012, 04:22 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Remove HUD from video but keep frag msg's? end user 3 5,610 10-14-2014, 05:46 AM
Last Post: Mirio
Information Optimising computer performance edh 10 38,140 08-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Last Post: tZork
  Optimising 2 cores in OpenGL rocknroll237 6 7,474 04-14-2012, 01:18 PM
Last Post: rocknroll237
  Low fidelity graphics for best performance. Anarchee 2 5,155 02-21-2012, 05:12 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Subtle Performance Tweaks Lee_Stricklin 6 10,152 12-15-2011, 07:09 AM
Last Post: Lee_Stricklin