Create an account

Poll: How interested are you in the project, and would you be willing to contribute? Please read the linked thread before voting!
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'm interested and willing to contribute, both by creating new content and porting existing assets.
0%
0 0%
I'm interested and willing to contribute, but only by porting existing assets.
20.00%
1 20.00%
I am interested but not willing to contribute.
0%
0 0%
Not interested.
80.00%
4 80.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyberpunk mod for TheDarkMod: Plans & Contribution feedback

Brick 
Keep in mind this thread is not exclusively about a change that will be done in Xonotic, although it's closely related to Xonotic hence why I put it in this section. It's an idea for which I will be using assets from Xonotic, and which I figure is relevant to the Xonotic community as a whole... granted anyone here would take interest in a single-player open-world RPG in the same style, as much as they do in the arena FPS that Xonotic is. Onto business:

I imagine at least a few people here are familiar with The Dark Mod. For those who aren't, TDM is a steampunk single-player stealth game inspired by the commercial Thief series, currently very solid and of impressive quality for a community project! It's FOSS like Xonotic, although its assets are non-commercial and the development cycle is less open. It uses the newer idTech 4 engine (compared to Darkplaces which is based on idTech 1 to 3) as well as DarkRadiant for map editing (based on GtkRadiant which NetRadiant is a fork of). I sincerely advice everyone to give it a try!

http://www.thedarkmod.com/

So what is this all about, I hear you ask; I've been planning for a while now to create a mod for TDM, which would act as a total conversion to its current theme. The mod would run on top of the existing code while adding new assets for missions to use, overall aiming to work as an independent project. The end goal is to create a platform for developing futuristic city hubs and worlds, inspired by the feel and atmosphere of the DeusEx series. If stock TDM is a fantasy steampunk game, TDM + this mod will be a fantasy cyberpunk game!

In relationship to Xonotic, this will to a certain degree mean "Xonotic ported to idTech 4 and turned single-player". Some of you might have seen my attempt to create a city in Xonotic years back, which was however stopped due to Xon lacking any useful single-player features in its code. I want the first characters used to be the Xonotic player models... and based on what extent new weapons can be coded into TDM, some of the weapon models too. Textures, sounds, parts of the HUD, and more are being considered. Although diversity in terms of themes and ideas is rather lacking, Xonotic has some fantastic quality assets... I believe that using some of them to create a sister project on top of the advanced code and engine of TDM would be a welcome and unique contribution to open-source gaming Smile

The project will however require help in order to happen! This is why I'm informing everyone who might be interested about this, in hopes of possibly setting up a collaboration between the DarkMod and Xonotic communities. The early plan is to pick a large group of freely licensed assets, including Xonotic's alongside art from places like http://opengameart.org and http://www.blendswap.com and other potential resources, then port them into TDM. This will require work in departments such as: Format conversions, writing material and entity definitions, and most of all rigging new characters to the TDM animation skeleton and other special model adjustments (low-poly shadow meshes, separate head with face rig, etc).

If you want more information on what the project aims to achieve, I created a thread on the TDM forums detailing my plans. Please read that as well and let me know what you think. I'll also make a copy of the pool I included there, to see what the general interest level of the Xonotic community is on such a project.

http://forums.thedarkmod.com/topic/18625...-feedback/

Messages In This Thread
Cyberpunk mod for TheDarkMod: Plans & Contribution feedback - by MirceaKitsune - 02-07-2017, 11:11 AM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quake 3 mod for Minecraft neXus 2 700 02-20-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Frombleasome2004
  Potentially great coop Zombie shooter as a Xonotic mod? poVoq 0 3,808 02-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Underhell (mod) frostwyrm333 0 2,767 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
  Wow... Sapience mod trailer rocknroll237 7 6,300 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  How do i make a Darkplaces Mod? SkyHookers 1 4,672 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Cortez666