Create an account

Poll: How interested are you in the project, and would you be willing to contribute? Please read the linked thread before voting!
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
I'm interested and willing to contribute, both by creating new content and porting existing assets.
0%
0 0%
I'm interested and willing to contribute, but only by porting existing assets.
20.00%
1 20.00%
I am interested but not willing to contribute.
0%
0 0%
Not interested.
80.00%
4 80.00%
Total 5 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cyberpunk mod for TheDarkMod: Plans & Contribution feedback

(02-07-2017, 03:50 PM)kojn^ Wrote: I'll have to re-read your post about 4 times, because I really don't quite get it Undecided

Still, I read about deus ex and steam/cyberpunk, so it automatically get's my approval <3 deus ex, best game ever!

To reformulate: For many years now, I've been dreaming of creating an original open-source game (or rather toolkit) for single-player worlds with RPG elements, in the same spirit and mood as the first DeusEx game. It aims to revolve around a near-futuristic time period (roughly year 2050), be based on the concept of city hubs which the player can roam, with emphasis on choices and multiple approaches to solving each mission.

My first ever plan was to do this in Xonotic altogether. However the amount of new code needed to support a quality single-player system would be insane, especially with Xonotic being designed strictly to be arena-based. Then I discovered TheDarkMod, which already has impeccable implementations for most mechanics you would want in such a project, which I doubt Xonotic will ever dream of... such as an advanced AI with realistic vision / hearing and multiple alert levels, lights that can be turned on and off and affect how enemies see you, physical objects you can move and stack to climb on, the ability to carry dead bodies with ragdoll support, lip-syncing for voices, flexible entity definitions for characters and items, intuitive area portals which are aware of closed doors and derender the contents of invisible rooms for performance, extra visual effects like realtime lighting and heat haze, and the list may go on.

The plan I'm therefore pondering now is a hybrid between Xonotic and TheDarkMod: Using some of the Xonotic assets and maybe even lore as a basis for building customizable worlds the player can explore and interact with, only on top of TDM's engine and code base. This seems like both the easiest and most optimal solution toward achieving the project I've always envisioned. Especially with both Xon and TDM being part of the same engine family (idTech + gtkRadiant) working in between the two isn't all that unfamiliar.

TLDR; I plan to use Xonotic's assets on TDM's code to make something inspired by the classic DeusEx.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Cyberpunk mod for TheDarkMod: Plans & Contribution feedback - by MirceaKitsune - 02-07-2017, 04:37 PM

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Quake 3 mod for Minecraft neXus 2 700 02-20-2024, 02:09 AM
Last Post: Frombleasome2004
  Potentially great coop Zombie shooter as a Xonotic mod? poVoq 0 3,808 02-17-2014, 11:45 AM
Last Post: poVoq
  Underhell (mod) frostwyrm333 0 2,767 09-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Last Post: frostwyrm333
  Wow... Sapience mod trailer rocknroll237 7 6,300 04-27-2012, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Maddin
  How do i make a Darkplaces Mod? SkyHookers 1 4,672 10-25-2010, 09:17 AM
Last Post: Cortez666