Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sintel and using their source

Recently the great people at the Blender Foundation have released their latest open source creation: Sintel. This is definitely a masterpiece and I highly recommend watching it if you have a spare 15 minutes.

For Xonotic this project is interesting, as they've released all their content under an (almost) GPL compatible license. This means that we can start to pick some things and convert them to be used in the game. Currently the sources for their movie are only distributed through the DVD box they sell, but I expect these to be spread on the internet soon enough. I will definitely be ordering the DVD, so if wanted I can supply the sources too.

To be fair, I have very little clue of what actually needs to be done to make these blend files work in Xonotic, so feel free to provide feedback on this. I will just give you the legal speech that is required.

Usage in unofficial maps
You may freely use their sources for whatever you want, the only thing you must do is provide attribution to the Blender Foundation as per their license.

Usage in official maps
Contrary to unofficial maps, all content in Xonotic _MUST_ be GPL (or compatible). Legally speaking the attribution requirement is not fully GPL compatible, however we can contact the authors and request them to drop this requirement for a few of their sources so we may legally include them. Obviously we will give proper credit for their hard work, but we cannot legally require this from anyone who obtains the files under a GPL license from us.

So if you use these sources, please give us a list of which files you have used. We need this to request an exception to the attribution requirement for these specific files, we have no guarantee that they will accept our request - but it is much more likely to be accepted if we only ask for a few files and not everything.
Before posting a reply, please read about the bikeshed.

I'm sure people are also interested in Blender Foundation's previous movies (and their source code): Elephants Dream and Big Buck Bunny. Especially Elephants Dream might be and an interesting source of elements.

Aren't those meshes too highpoly for a game?
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

(10-04-2010, 10:15 AM)unfa Wrote: Aren't those meshes too highpoly for a game?

They probably are, but generally turning the quality down still saves a huge amount of work as opposed to recreating from scratch.

(10-04-2010, 01:38 PM)merlijn Wrote: They probably are, but generally turning the quality down still saves a huge amount of work as opposed to recreating from scratch.

It still might be quite a lot work Wink But yeah, it's propably better than nothing Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

Yeah. Merge polys, keep it shapely, decimate vertices, then unwrap again, test if works...
(08-10-2012, 02:37 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Cloud is the new Web 2.0. It makes no damn sense to me.

merlijn - Administrator

...wtf??? we have another admin? didn't know it :O
MY NOOB STATS:
[Image: 788.png]

Yeah, I can see it now...

Big Buck Bunny Running around with a Nex vaporizing everybody... Big Grin

What about selling (yes... I used the word "selling") a xonotic DVD and the money you pay is a donation ( + DVD price)?
MY NOOB STATS:

has nothing to do with the topic, and the donation is a payment which is afaik incompatible with the gpl. the only possible way is to distribute a dvd for the price of a blank dvd. seriously, nobody would buy it.

Blender does that, too (sintel/Big buck bunny/...)
MY NOOB STATS:

This is definitely off-topic for this thread. Having that said it is perfectly legal to sell GPL software - just that you must comply with the terms of the GPL, which means also supplying the source for free.

Accepting donations is perfectly legal too, we just don't have the infrastructure yet to accept them. Also we have no clue what we should actually do with any money we get in.

(10-08-2010, 05:14 AM)merlijn Wrote: This is definitely off-topic for this thread. Having that said it is perfectly legal to sell GPL software - just that you must comply with the terms of the GPL, which means also supplying the source for free.

Accepting donations is perfectly legal too, we just don't have the infrastructure yet to accept them. Also we have no clue what we should actually do with any money we get in.

ok thank you for answering this OffTopic thing Wink
MY NOOB STATS:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  open source game art Pendulla 2 3,662 08-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  Open source 'futuristic' FONTS teams 3 4,933 09-18-2010, 06:32 AM
Last Post: naryl