Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] How to begin game?

I downloaded the latest version of the game using Mozilla Firefox.Then i opened it and all i found was folders.How do i get the game to come up able for me to play it?

(12-30-2012, 09:59 AM)Xenon Wrote: I downloaded the latest version of the game using Mozilla Firefox.Then i opened it and all i found was folders.How do i get the game to come up able for me to play it?

Depends on your OS. There is no installer, you just extract it somewhere on your hard disk. Then run the applicable executable for your system. If for example you are using Windows, this will be xonotic-sdl.exe.
I'm at least a reasonably tolerable person to be around - Narcopic

(12-30-2012, 10:03 AM)edh Wrote:
(12-30-2012, 09:59 AM)Xenon Wrote: I downloaded the latest version of the game using Mozilla Firefox.Then i opened it and all i found was folders.How do i get the game to come up able for me to play it?

Depends on your OS. There is no installer, you just extract it somewhere on your hard disk. Then run the applicable executable for your system. If for example you are using Windows, this will be xonotic-sdl.exe.

How do i run the applicable executable for my system?

Just open it like you would open any other file: click or double click.

(12-30-2012, 10:49 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Just open it like you would open any other file: click or double click.

How do i even find it?

Huh.

Okay, back to the beginning. The file you downloaded is xonotic-0.6.0.zip. This file is what's called a "zip archive". It contains many other files and directories that you noticed when you downloaded it.

What you need to do is extract the files and directories from the zip archive onto your hard drive, for example in a directory on your desktop. To do so, you need to go to the place where you saved xonotic-0.6.0.zip, right-click it and select "extract" or something similar. Alternatively, you could open the zip archive and extract or copy/paste its contents. I can't tell exactly how to do that because I don't use Windows (I'm assuming that you do? you haven't answered that question) and there are many different programs (WinRAR, 7-Zip, ...) that can open zip archives, and the Windows explorer can do it too. You will need to figure that one out.

Anyway, now that you have extracted the contents of the zip archive, just go into the directory where you extracted it and look for a file with the Xonotic icon called xonotic-sdl. Single-click or double-click that and it should launch the game.

(12-30-2012, 11:08 AM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: Huh.

Okay, back to the beginning. The file you downloaded is xonotic-0.6.0.zip. This file is what's called a "zip archive". It contains many other files and directories that you noticed when you downloaded it.

What you need to do is extract the files and directories from the zip archive onto your hard drive, for example in a directory on your desktop. To do so, you need to go to the place where you saved xonotic-0.6.0.zip, right-click it and select "extract" or something similar. Alternatively, you could open the zip archive and extract or copy/paste its contents. I can't tell exactly how to do that because I don't use Windows (I'm assuming that you do? you haven't answered that question) and there are many different programs (WinRAR, 7-Zip, ...) that can open zip archives, and the Windows explorer can do it too. You will need to figure that one out.

Anyway, now that you have extracted the contents of the zip archive, just go into the directory where you extracted it and look for a file with the Xonotic icon called xonotic-sdl. Single-click or double-click that and it should launch the game.

thank you