Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Map Optimization Tools?

Ok, So I'm in the process of finalizing my first map and I wanted to do some optimization work on it. Everything runs fine on my machine (but it's beefy enough for that to tell me nothing) so I was wondering what tools in-engine I should be using to see how the .bsp has broken things down and to find troublespots.

I've taken a bit of a look using r_speeds / r_speeds_graph - but that's information overload ATM so I think I need some advice on what's important to pay attention to.

Also, are there any in-engine features for examining how the .bsp has broken everything down into portals? That seems like it would be handy for identifying where I might want to convert a few brushes to func_detail.

The portals can be examined in NetRadiant with the prtview plugin.

You can use r_showtris and r_showdisabledepthtest to see all the geometry that is processed by the video card.

r_speeds is quite a mess. I mostly pay attention to the world triangle count. In my experience, a reasonable limit is 50'000 visible triangles, maybe up to 100'000 depending on the textures and map size.

The timedemo feature is very useful as well (Menu > Multiplayer > Media > Demos > Timedemo). Simply record a normal demo where you run around the entire map. Then play it as a timedemo, to get an objective performance measurement (written to data/benchmark.log). Replay the timedemo after editing the map to see the impact on performance.

For comparison, you could also perform timedemo measurements on default maps.

Portals can also be examined in xonotic. With 'r_drawportals 1'.

Would look like this:
[Image: 4lcT6N1.jpg]

(this is actually an example of having too many portals)

Ahh, nice Smile. Is it still func_detail for brushes that you don't want to be part of the hull / portals? (It doesn't appear to be in my list when I use NetRadiant)

(08-10-2018, 11:52 PM)Notavi Wrote: Ahh, nice Smile. Is it still func_detail for brushes that you don't want to be part of the hull / portals? (It doesn't appear to be in my list when I use NetRadiant)

Brushes are flagged as structural (default) or as detail.

Make detail and Make structural are in the Brush menu of NetRadiant,

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tools of the trade tZork 30 41,662 08-18-2021, 03:21 PM
Last Post: Victor
  Xonotic shader manual and tools? Binaryshi 6 6,050 07-22-2015, 12:12 PM
Last Post: tZork