Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Future of Xonotic?

I've been playing the game for several months now, and am starting to play around with Net Radiant. But something has been on my mind.
What is the future of this game? Have the developers abandoned it because they lost hope in the game? If so why? This is such a great game, I'd hate it to see it go to waste.

edit: disregard this post. xonotic 0.8.5 came out a few days ago Big Grin

(12-07-2018, 09:29 PM)anoob Wrote: I've been playing the game for several months now, and am starting to play around with Net Radiant. But something has been on my mind.
What is the future of this game? Have the developers abandoned it because they lost hope in the game? If so why? This is such a great game, I'd hate it to see it go to waste.

It won't go to waste as long as there are people playing it.

Why made you think the developers have abandoned the game though?

(12-07-2018, 09:29 PM)anoob Wrote: Have the developers abandoned it because […]

What? Where did you read developers abandoned it? development looks pretty active.
This comment is licensed under cc by 4 and antecedent.

There's a couple things that need to be resolved before release (and for some only very few people know how to, all of whom are busy) but in general xon always has a long time between releases. Here's the activity overview, though keep in mind most devs are busy with other things now, not sure it'll get better before christmas.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

It is the boards what is not very active, but you have a few IRC channels at your hands:

freenode: #xonotic
quakenet: #xonotic
quakenet: #xonotic.editing
quakenet: #xonotic.pickup

You have a bunch of IRC client apps to choose from or, if you prefer it, an online web-client:

http://webchat.quakenet.org

-------

The popularity of this game is arguably never going to reach that of a triple-A game, but if you want to play the game it's just a matter of knowing when to come online. People are playing it every day. It's been like this most of Xonotic's existence.

When it comes to spreading word about the game, development progress or a new update is a good excuse to mention the game somewhere, but you could similarly just spread videos or topics about the game and mention it on a frequent basis. The effect is virtually the same.

Thanks for all of the replies, I didn't look at Github before I posted.

(12-08-2018, 01:21 AM)illwieckz Wrote:
(12-07-2018, 09:29 PM)anoob Wrote: Have the developers abandoned it because […]

What? Where did you read developers abandoned it? development looks pretty active.

I forgot where I read it, but I believe Mario said said along the lines of  " There needs to be 3 high-ranking devs to accept an update, but two of them have been absent for a while."  I could be wrong though, as my memory isn't the greatest.

(12-08-2018, 10:05 PM)anoob Wrote: I forgot where I read it, but I believe Mario said said along the lines of  " There needs to be 3 high-ranking devs to accept an update, but two of them have been absent for a while."  I could be wrong though, as my memory isn't the greatest.

There are 5 (2 are mostly busy nowadays though) people who can push directly into master (=make/accept an update), other devs need one of those 5 to check and accept their work. But when there's a bigger change even the 5 like to have one of the other 4 to review their work.

Making a release is a different thing. I like joking that there's like one and a half people who know how to and have the permissions and one of them is always busy.
[Image: 30381.jpg]

<packer> when i see martin-t's name my blood pressure increases

<[BOT]Hоtdоg> anyone here lives near martin?
<[BOT]Hоtdоg> will pay monies for shooting him

Xonotic is a classic game, with an open source code and open server. We are here for fun and not for the money. I am very happy having a game, which doesn't reinvent the wheel every new year to sell new copies or hardware and make the game even worse.

A long time between the releases are not critical.

Feel free to invite your friends and enjoy the game.

I played this game on and off for quite a while now. Can't say it's going to waste. Actually i think it's doing pretty good at the moment. There's almost always a match going on. People play different modes (and not just insta like in most other comparable games) and the autobuild gets updated regularly. I just updated  just yesterday and was surprised to see new gunmodels for example. Performance also seems better and some sound issues (MG sometimes sounded choppy) i had seem to be fixed.

why are you worried about the future. i am sure the developers are still working on something great for us xenotic lovers. so lets keep playing the game as we wait. xenotic has a future!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My Future With Xonotic Samual 92 88,682 11-20-2013, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo