Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
VCU or Volatile Containment Unit

Hi, I'm new here, I guess it'd be rude to not introduce myself. I was referred here by theshadow after he linked me to the site. I've played it and I like it! Gives me a bit of an unreal vibe yet it's also its own game.

Anyway, I felt I should at the very lest try to contribute since I can model and UVMap (though it's been ages), so here's an 'explosive barrel' level prop (or could just be nonexplosive, either way)

[Image: poorlytexturedVCU.png?t=1294029872]
[Image: boxes-1-1.png?t=1294029505]
UVMap still needs some work, and perhaps more could be done for the model (though I'm used to modeling significantly higher-poly models, such as this which isn't finished) and the texturing is just a placeholder I did in GIMP (though I've never actually textured before either, though it shouldn't be that hard if I've got base tiles and whatnot)

The circle on the top is meant to be how to get the volatile substance out and the blue parts on the placeholder texture are exposed parts that show the contents of the container. The four things sticking out of the sides in an x-shape is how the crane/whatever picks them up, though I'm not too sure about this part, any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would like to note it is a pretty outdated model in terms of I've had it sitting on my HDD doing nothing for a while. So, thoughts?

You're hired! (....not that i'm entitled to do so, but hey!)

Welcome (dramatic pause) to the world of tomorrow! (damn that Nesquick.... infected me with his moody intro)
4m038105 - Be the change.

Thanks. Smile

Anyway, I went and modeled a generic crate to go with this one (pretty much the non-red barrels in any game ever) to go along with this one.
[Image: crate.png]

I've also thought about how it opens, because from what I've seen, crates in sci-fi usually don't look open-able. On the top, inside, there are 4 prongs at the corners which push open the top (would be automated, might model on a small computer console or something) into four, somewhat triangle-shaped segments, which fold out to the respective corners. Also, the 'bump' is the top and the bottom has an inset for more stable storage. If need be I can make modeled demonstrations for them.

Also, I'd like to mention that the crate (or SCU, standard containment unit) has around 400 triangles and the VCU has closer to 500 triangles.

0_O I like the spaceship.
Weapons are usually higher poly anyway, maybe your skills could help Xonotic there?
Here's some concept art, if you need insparation.
Nice work so far. Do you have experience texturing?

No, I have no experience texturing what-so-ever, sadly. That concept art looks pretty good, if no one else has I can do the ammo pickups.

And thanks, glad you like the spaceship and work so far. Smile

Yay barrels! Good thinking about how they open. It may have its charm to find barrels or crates that remind of ancient (or alien) artifacts where you have to figure out the opening mechanism *(Tomb Raider flashbacks go here)*, but something that actually makes SENSE is a welcome distraction.
4m038105 - Be the change.

Thanks. I'll get on to modeling a more round, generic liquid container soon (should I make a beer keg too? Big Grin)

[Image: freighter2.png]
An atmospheric/space VTOL freighter, could be useful as a background prop, a basis for a game level, etc. The ship is 120 meters long and the cargo pods are about 15, the cargo pods can also be removed. Size isn't set in stone, either.

It is a early WIP, what do you guys think?