Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
[SUGGESTION] EVERYTHANS A SNAPPER RAFFLE

From my response to the other thread:

What do you dislike about the weapons?

Everything is a sniper rifle! Every weapon has either no or really low spray, and if it doesn't it's damage is so minimal you'd be better off pretending you don't have anything but those weapons! Not that I don't appreciate that more accurate weapons should be more powerful, but the shotgun does bare damage to someone right in the face (I had to get along with the shotgun and melle by pretending the shotgun WAS the melee, as the ranges and radius were so low), and the rockets damage is abysmal! also, the mine amount/power is ridiculous! I believe the amount of mines you can lay should be somewhere around 8 or 10, and one mine should take away half of their health if they don,t see them, trip all the mines you placed, I think they shouldn't be able to run you down afterward!

The porto seems like it could be done a little better, it seems incomplete and if it is, I think it could be easily improved by copying the nice effect for constant portals, those square ones, they seem easily traversible and like you can move right through as though they weren't portals at all, I like that and I think that would be nice, but I don't like how worthless the portal alignment rules are, and how I can't actually use it beyond coming out the floor behind me by jumping in a wall perhaps it could warp the texture around it when it opens? like it pushed the wall/floor back when ii opened in it?

The melee also is much needing improvement, it's range is too low, its radius is too low, and it's damage is too low, and it shouldn't be something you have to find, like it is on most maps. Melee is something that is incredibly fun if done properly and really cool if used properly, it seems noone pays attention to it though, because it seems like a last resort not as fun out of ammo thing, but if it's done well, can be more awesome than anything.

Here is some examples of it being done right, in my opinion Smile (I only linked the ones that are fun to watch :p )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C6LtVPJiNUM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3gGbbduCdg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HYTa9VeLd4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DrakiZGv-o

I'm actually right this minute making a spy montage of my own, because as you can tell I like this sort of thing, and the melee animation is fantastic, it's like I have a cute robotic arm and I'm slapping people. (It's like " moron!" *smack* I should know apparanlty I'm a cyborg :p heeheehee)I can't tell you how much I enjoy this, I don't like slapping AT people who kill me everytime I try it though Sad

What would you add?

Flamethrower! (if particle based damage can be done) theres not much else to be said about running around a map, and FWOOSH a wall of flame comes at you, and if you escape, your running around on fire looking for health!

I mean, flamethrower! there is nothing more fun Big Grin

Remote detonated mines, so idf someone runs over them it wont kill them unless you tell them to explode

TK gun: aim it at someone and things in a certain radius around them fly up for a sec then at them and do damage like angry ghosts were pelting them with anything not nailed down, be it the flag, pick ups or other players, gibs, bits of the map, and other junk. or maybe right click picks all of it up into the air, when you left click you shoot it all where your crosshair is?

A sword or melee weapon would be cool, I really usually play tf2 most of my gaming time, and I'm always the spy, so I'm used to instakill melee, if it's done right Smile I can make some concept art for what I think would be cool but not taken melee weapons, and textures if any of the ideas ever came to be Smile

We have a lot of weapons around here, because well, its the location, it's commonplace, and my dad is a metalsmith/welder thingy dude so there is a lot of "cool ideas of things he made"

One is a hooked axe, I think in xonotic, it could be altfire hooks and if youre close enough to another guy, it takes his weapon from him, and throws it on the floor and the normal fire slashes/stabs, so if you get close enough to a guy, you can pull his weapon down and stab him in the face! would that not be cool?

I'll a pic later of it (one of them really) Smile
...with a grenade.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Response in another thread:
I never Wrote:Thanks for sharing, however I have a few slight critiques/questions.
I've never played TF2 so I'm not sure on the weapons they have, but compared to this game's predecessor, it has quite a bit more spread/splash weapons. Of course when I started, the MG was my favorite too so we'll see how this progresses in a few years Smile

[The porto could be] just removed, it's not a serious weapon anyway.

Quote:Sure it could use some tweaking, although my preferances would actually be going the other way. What do you mean find? it's on the shotgun secondary, your spawn weapon! Surely you aren't talking about the Tuba? Big Grin

No the shotgun, and a lot of the times I have to go off and find it or not have it, because its one weapon only at the time. The other way? as in weaker, smaller range? AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Quote:[Flamethrower] This idea's been around the block but nobody took any action. If you want to work on it, great! I might even help. But this weapon also might kill some people's framerate.

I can do textures, practically nothing else, if I could do it all I would, but I only have the vaguest clues as to how to do things like modelling programming etc :\ I'd certainly help all I could, and if I could do more I would.

Quote:Right now the Mine Layer secondary will blow them up for more exact timing (although it will still blow up if enemy is close enough).

Maybe you don't want them to blow up? I'm too tired to think of scenarios where this would be good, but they are there...

Quote:[TK gun]Ok that just seems weird. But somebody did build a gun that could pick up crates back in Nexuiz. Just a prototype build though.

Yeah its a wierd idea, but it would be epic to run around with...

Quote:GPL Nexuiz didn't have a melee at all so then we added the shotgun slap, I really don't think we need TWO (well, three if you count the tuba) melee weapons. They just don't fit the game well enough to justify so many.

:o But they do!

Quote:Ok so this is another melee that incapacitates the enemy player? Some people wanted to do something like that for the new LG (slowing down, bluring vision, etc) but it was vehemently rejected. This game is fast, and people want to die with their boots on so they can respawn as fast as possible and attack!

No, just puts their current weapon on the floor for about one second before it can be picked up. It would be fast, just cool, and melee.

As far as I think the problem goes, everyone is so speed addicted they forget the old artistic concept of less is more, that the more of something you have, the less it feels like it, for examples some movies only have red blood, stop signs are brown, all red is brown and you don't notice a difference until you see blood, which is actually red...

Here's what I mean, The other day I backstabbed ( special instakill melee that's hard to achieve) a guy in midair, when he rocket jumped, I looked and looked and as far as I can tell it has only happened thrice before.

It was the most incredible experience I have ever had in a game, and that's because it's rare!

Another example is gold, it's valuable simply because it's rare.

If you try to speed it up too much, you accelerate the default pace and if you're lucky you've done nothing.

I'm not trying to slow it down here, I'm just saying that if you go too fast it's all a hazy blur, and those aren't fast at all...
...with a grenade.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

Unfortunately, a lot of the things you propose here have already been discussed, and are regularly brought up again by newcomers.

amczombine Wrote:snapper raffle
your first point is the only one that has NOT been discussed and has bugged me a lot, especially on the rocket launcher. but that is a balancing issue, which I will discuss in a moment.

amczombine Wrote:porto
I have brought up the porto issue to a couple people, and suggested that we just make it function in a similar way to the classic portal gun. This received some support, but this issue is fairly low on the priority list.

amczombine Wrote:melee
I agree that the melee is not strong enough but again, that is a balancing issue. also, what do you mean something you have to find? the melee is the secondary for the shotgun, which is your default starting weapon. no need to find anything.

amczombine Wrote:flamethrower
the flamethrower idea was proposed as a secondary for the fireball gun, but implementation in the engine would have been too difficult and have too much of a hit on frame rate. (if it was done properly)

amczombine Wrote:remote detonated mines
iirc you can already do this. remotely detonate the mines that is, they still explode if someone runs over them. otherwise you would have to camp a spot until someone runs past so you can detonate them, which would make the gun too much of a pain to use.

amczombine Wrote:TK gun
this would require a physics engine, which we do not have.

amczombine Wrote:instakill melee
if you try to play this game like the tf2 spy, you will fail so hard. no offense, but this game is about as far as its possible to get from a tactical FPS. (which is why there is no instakill melee btw)

ok, just thought I would set things straight for ya Smile
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

Quote:the flamethrower idea was proposed as a secondary for the fireball gun, but implementation in the engine would have been too difficult and have too much of a hit on frame rate. (if it was done properly)

Well, the flamethrower deals damage into an area in front of you, so making it so that area deals damage per second if you're in it and adding particle effects shouldn't be too bad, should it? and otherwise its just adding some particles and textures to the player models, and a simple on/off fire check and health reduction a second if you are on fire for a time to add that, right?

Quote:if you try to play this game like the tf2 spy, you will fail so hard. no offense, but this game is about as far as its possible to get from a tactical FPS. (which is why there is no instakill melee btw)
[/quote]

I tried it like that and did quite well, actually Smile I think you misunderstand what it's like to play spy. It's not all about hiding out in spots, it's really <rambles> really not the place to discuss how the spy is played...

But then maybe it is, because it's in ideas and suggestions, and as leonardo da vinci said about artists "<quote stolen from movie>"

I know my voice isn't that important but if I have to forget about and shut up about everything I will always stand by what I said, If you can sneak up on a player, who is hopping and bopping and running aboot, you should be rewarded.
...with a grenade.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)

i agree. however it is very very difficult to do that.

i wasn't trying to totally discount everything you said, i was just saying that some of your points have already been discussed, and some things fir better with the playstyle of this game than others.

and yeah, i probably should have learned more about how to play the team fortress spy before making that comment. I apologize.
Master of mysterious geometries

Imgur Gallery

The main problem stemming from a flame thrower would be the insane number of realtime lights created Tongue That would kill performance alone, not to mention the extensive number of particles generated. I think the main engine issue stems from keeping the fire burning on a player. A particle and projectile would have to stay on the player until it burns out, that, and the flames from the gun would be some serious server load. O_o

amczombine Wrote:One is a hooked axe, I think in xonotic, it could be altfire hooks and if youre close enough to another guy, it takes his weapon from him, and throws it on the floor and the normal fire slashes/stabs, so if you get close enough to a guy, you can pull his weapon down and stab him in the face! would that not be cool?

I like the idea of stealing weapons from other players Smile I can just imagine shooting a camper with a hook on brokenworlds and watching their reaction as the weapon retreats into the distance, being dragged along by my hook Big Grin The stabbing might be a bit complicated to do properly though, and on top of that are the issues people have raised about melee. Being able to disarm AND kill somebody seems a bit unfair Undecided
[Image: vN3NkMA]
(Idea stolen from Mr. Bougo. Hehehehe)

Not really, I mean, if someone did it to me, I'd back up away from the stab, hit the button for most powerful weapon and blast away.

And if that works, by that time I can pick it up again, but if someone doesn't have fast reflexes, it's an awesome looking kill.
...with a grenade.

_██_
(ಠ_ృ)