Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
sRGB vs old build system comparisons

So I used the new sRGB build settings... and it turned out different from what I was expecting, so I went ahead and did an old-style compile as well. First picture is sRGB, second is the old build system.

[Image: owylqz0vwjkkbbf8kbwp_thumb.jpg] [Image: bc5xex7zrz6f67opxru_thumb.jpg]

[Image: osdxc5ovjl8zmvyqaffm_thumb.jpg] [Image: kop0zkql7zzcg45942_thumb.jpg]

[Image: m3b5fq2sobarn1s485pa_thumb.jpg] [Image: rksz8tm9806lkde5047f_thumb.jpg]

[Image: atsx4h9fah2lkk8tbdh_thumb.jpg] [Image: u4spz4ez9ms6pw5lyeo_thumb.jpg]

[Image: 024rd1s51w35zptuydpt_thumb.jpg] [Image: bysismksw2331hagcyh8_thumb.jpg]

[Image: giabod5hqq3tddr7bca_thumb.jpg] [Image: 0q1andjn0uawztlpeio_thumb.jpg]

The only reason I can come up with for the notable difference is the fact that this map uses pretty much skybox lighting and surfacelight textures exclusively to light (there's a few exceptions here and there). I don't know the workings behind why this would happen, though. Also, I didn't get a screenshot, but sRGB didn't apply any light to the map from lava.

I used the final build level (Xonotic approved and recommended) for both. Also, Ultra effects on for both.

Best I can figure, sRGB doesn't like skylighting/surfacelight, or this is a bug, or something is screwed up on my end.

Hooray for vertex lighting.

No idea why this is happening, though.

I never understood why sRGB is needed until now, and the examples I seen previously shown that sRGB looks a ton more horrible than the current lighting. But the screenshots you posted here are totally different from that. The right ones (which I assume are sRGB) look beautiful, and indeed a lot better. I'm surprised sRGB does that. If all maps will look that way in comparison, then yes... convert it all to sRGB Big Grin But I'm still confused.

(01-23-2013, 01:35 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: [...]The right ones (which I assume are sRGB) look beautiful, and indeed a lot better.[...]

(05-22-2012, 09:46 AM)nowego4 Wrote: [...]First picture is sRGB, second is the old build system.
[...]

Eh, not sure if there's some problem with my eyes, but the right(the ones with the old lighting(is this correct word/spelling btw?) system?) ones look slightly better in my opinion.

(01-23-2013, 02:12 PM)_para Wrote:
(01-23-2013, 01:35 PM)MirceaKitsune Wrote: [...]The right ones (which I assume are sRGB) look beautiful, and indeed a lot better.[...]

(05-22-2012, 09:46 AM)nowego4 Wrote: [...]First picture is sRGB, second is the old build system.
[...]

Ouch. Then I stick by my previous idea, sRGB is horrible Tongue

Wow, sRGB seems terrible.

Why was the switch made in the first place, as far as I know most displays today have gamuts way beyond sRGB.

Compiling maps with sRGB needs lighting to be made for sRGB. You just don't light a map with the usual settings then compile with sRGB. I'd like to see a map made for sRGB compiling compiled without it to get a fair comparison.

But anyway, you're railing on the visuals of something that's seemingly bugged. Isn't it better to do something about it to get it fixed instead?

s1lence: how does screen gamut mean that the old way is better than sRGB? I'm asking because I have no idea what you mean.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  reviving old Nexuiz maps Grasshopper 0 679 08-25-2022, 08:13 AM
Last Post: Grasshopper
  sRGB tool Nahuel 1 3,003 03-23-2014, 01:32 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
  SRGB lightmaps - how to use them Majki 2 4,041 12-26-2013, 06:52 AM
Last Post: Majki