Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] UI: Player Setup

Another UI discrepency.

Why is the Player Setup in the multiplayer window. If it only affected the multiplayer it would be understandable, but since it's global, I would think it more appropriate in the Settings screen. And again, it's also not immediately apparent to a first-time player that the Multiplayer screen is the place to go to customize your character, I can attest that it wasn't for me the first time.
How long is a piece of string?

I dunno... It had always been there, since Nexiuz.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

I think the logic is that you shouldn't care about your player until you go multiplayer. But that makes no sense to me, since other settings are in there as well.

You should ask Samual about this, I think he's the one who worked on the latest version of the layout.

Generally speaking the hierarchy of the UI is absolutely terrible IMO.

We should have people use something like treejack http://www.optimalworkshop.com/treejack.htm (but something that doesn't cost money) to validate Xonotic's information architecture with users.

Player setup in the multiplayer menu has been there since Quake 1. It's a long tradition ;-].
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

(08-05-2012, 11:40 PM)Cyber Killer Wrote: Player setup in the multiplayer menu has been there since Quake 1. It's a long tradition ;-].

Which begs the question, do we need to perpetuate that particular tradition? ...

I think after such a long time it would be more confusing if you'd change it now than if it's left where it is.
My contributions to Xonotic: talking in the forum, talking some more, talking a bit in the irc, talking in the forum again, XSkie

Except it's pretty confusing where it is right now. not sying that it's enough to drive away new players, but i just don't think it reflects well. if quality is what we're about, then i think consistency makes up a significant part of that. global settings, in the Settings, multiplayer-only settings in the Multiplayer, single-player-only settings(such there is) in the Single Player.

You raise a valid point that it would be confusing to the established player base, though, so let me ask: would it be that much of a behavioral shift to move the Player Setup?

If it was up to me I'd leave it where it is, eventually I'd add an option (default off) to show player setup inside options instead of multiplayer.

I can see a whole lot of questions in implementing that: where would you put this option to turn it on? how prominent should it be? should the player be made aware of this option, as it is not something anyone would have encountered before? why not offer the same for any other UI feature? that sort of thing ...

I don't think xonotic is about fiddling with the UI setup beyond the in-game HUD apart from maybe loading themes and such.

(08-06-2012, 07:23 AM)anark10n Wrote: where would you put this option to turn it on?

Why, let the user decide by adding an option for this, of course.

lol :-D

but actually I'd put that option on the player setup page

An option about Player Setup in the Player Setup??? So banal...
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

It's still only one question answered. Like i said, why allow a player to fiddle with the UI (outside of in-game HUD and themes) in the first place? Just organize to better reflect the options you get in each. Keeping the player setup in the multiplayer setup just because it's tradition does not make it a good decision, since it also affect the single player. Tradition is not always a good thing.

I always wondered why the gibs settings were buried in the multiplayer area ... (I think that specific issue is fixed now though ...)