Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Porting a map from Urban Terror to Xonotic

Hello Community Big Grin

I would like to know if it's hard (or possible) to port a map designed for Urban Terror to Xonotic. I found a map that I enjoyed a lot on my past and it could be awesome for me.

Here is the download link http://znine.org/q3ut4/ut4_alinosperch_a3.pk3

Thanks for your time Smile
XMPP Conferences
xonotic@conference.jabber.org → General discussion
xonotic@conf.jabberes.org → Spanish-speakers
I pronounce it Shonotic.

It is possible, not guarantied, but possible. I don't have NetRadiant available to me at the moment, so i cant do it.

Here is what you should do:
1.Get NetRadiant
2. Go to File> Import the .BSP. At that point it might not work. Then you might try to find .MAP file, which is the source, but that can be problematic as well.
3. If previous step worked, you will have a map in front of you. You will need to edit it- add spawns, weapons and scale it up to fit for Xonotic. Another thing you will need to do is to add the map textures.
4. Then you need to compile it and do evrything you would do with a Xonotic map.
[Image: 0_e8735_c58a251e_orig]

You should be aware of the licensing issues. If the work is copyrighted, the map author might not appreciate you modifying it.

(05-29-2013, 01:58 PM)aa Wrote: It is possible, not guarantied, but possible. I don't have NetRadiant available to me at the moment, so i cant do it.

Here is what you should do:
1.Get NetRadiant
2. Go to File> Import the .BSP. At that point it might not work. Then you might try to find .MAP file, which is the source, but that can be problematic as well.
3. If previous step worked, you will have a map in front of you. You will need to edit it- add spawns, weapons and scale it up to fit for Xonotic. Another thing you will need to do is to add the map textures.
4. Then you need to compile it and do evrything you would do with a Xonotic map.

Thank you for your answer but it's double Dutch to me because I don't know anything about mapping. I'll try to find information about that. Thanks again!

(05-29-2013, 02:10 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote: You should be aware of the licensing issues. If the work is copyrighted, the map author might not appreciate you modifying it.

This is what it sais on the readme file: http://pastebin.com/GUqV0DpV

First I want to know if it's possible to make it and then ask to the author Smile
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

A harder option: remake the map from scratch. I dont think it violates any rights.

And no importing problems.

P.S. I can go into more detail about mapping if you need it.

(05-29-2013, 02:45 PM)aa Wrote: A harder option: remake the map from scratch. I dont think it violates any rights.

And no importing problems.

Well, originally was from a NDS game, Metroid Prime Hunters. You can see a video of the map on Urban Terror here:

I know It's not an interesting map for a lot of people, but I played a lot this game and I would like to make it maps for Xonotic and remember old time with my friends, I'm sure they are going to like the idea.
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

(05-29-2013, 02:45 PM)aa Wrote: A harder option: remake the map from scratch. I dont think it violates any rights.

I'm sure it does.

SouL, why not ask the map author, maybe they can share the .map file and save you a lot of trouble?

Oh does it? And what if on just uses the layout?

(05-29-2013, 04:26 PM)Mr. Bougo Wrote:

I'm sure it does.

SouL, why not ask the map author, maybe they can share the .map file and save you a lot of trouble?

Well, considering that I don't know anything about this kind of things... Haha Big Grin

I'm searching the author on their IRC channel, what exactly I have to tell him? If he can share with me the .map file?

Thank you!
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

Tell him you are impressed and amazed by his map, and want to share it with players from other games. Ask if thats ok with him, and ask if you can have the sources/ .map file.

(05-29-2013, 04:28 PM)aa Wrote: Oh does it? And what if on just uses the layout?

It might be. I'm not a lawyer, though, but if it's an original idea I guess it's protected by copyright?

Sup, SouL contacted me.
What do I need to compile it to make it compatible to Xonotic?
Do the UrT Spawns work here?
Is the GtK Radiant or is NetRadiant necessary?

Actauly, I already did it. The only things to do is to place weapons and make it into a pk3.

Howether, If you want to do it yourself, for the sake of practice, I can help you.

So, everything has the same entities in Xonotic like in Urt? Just the Weapons are needed? Makes sence since it is a Quake engine game if i'm right
That should make it pretty easy.

"info_ut_spawn" entities are used only by UrT. You should use "info_player_team1" (red team) and "info_player_team2" (blue team) instead.
somewhere

No, no, i meant things LEFT to do. I had to replace the spawn points, remake the jumppads and fixed the map a little bit.

Eh, if it's only about entities, you don't even need to recompile a new BSP... Decompiling the BSP, changing the entities, and generating a .ent file is all that's needed. You guys should have mentioned that Smile

Well, I am not sure if brush triggers are counted as entities.

(06-08-2013, 03:22 AM)aa Wrote: Actauly, I already did it. The only things to do is to place weapons and make it into a pk3.

Howether, If you want to do it yourself, for the sake of practice, I can help you.

Hey aa, are you talking about the map I would like to play in Xonotic?
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

Here it is: http://ubuntuone.com/5R3RPqXhHgtEOvCRm4q1DI

Wink 
(06-18-2013, 11:18 AM)aa Wrote: Here it is: http://ubuntuone.com/5R3RPqXhHgtEOvCRm4q1DI

[Image: worship2.gif]
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

Get yourself a NetRadiant, and place some weapons, ammo, armor and health.

(06-19-2013, 01:33 AM)aa Wrote: Get yourself a NetRadiant, and place some weapons, ammo, armor and health.

Hello again aa.

I would like to download again the map but since ubuntuone is closed...

Do you still have the map? If you have it I'll upload it again in some places to not lose it again Rolleyes

PD: Sorry if the thread is old.
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.

Here it is.

Attached Files
.pk3   alino.pk3 (Size: 5.87 MB / Downloads: 14)

Heart 
(06-08-2014, 08:48 AM)aa Wrote: Here it is.

Just... Thank you very much!(Again Tongue)
XMPP Conferences
I pronounce it Shonotic.