Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Porting to FTEqw engine?

@Mario, I see the difference now. Thanks for the explanation.

Common aliases. This seems to benefit the larger community. How do we tackle that?

(04-17-2019, 06:22 PM)BuddyFriendGuy Wrote: @Mario, I see the difference now. Thanks for the explanation.

Common aliases. This seems to benefit the larger community. How do we tackle that?

This seems to be mainly effecting the menu code, which is anyways separate from rest of the client side code.
IMHO the easiest would be to take an existing FTEWQ compatible menu and adapt it for Xonotic. The existing menu anyways looks quite dated by now and a face-lift wouldn't hurt at all Smile

This is a cool new modern Menu system for FTEQW:
https://github.com/shpuld/sui-qc

Tested it again, with the recent FTEQW build (and 0.8.2 game files, but not those from autobuild) I could play Xonotic on FTEQW more or less as normal, even join normal Darkplaces multiplayer games.
It needs a bit of polish here and there, but basically this is a drop in replacement for Darkplaces now and has a lot more advanced functionality.
Looks like they even added Bullet physics in a recent release.

Small update:
Download this:
https://triptohell.info/moodles/junk/FTE...-0.8.2.zip
Replace the default.fmf with the newer one attached.

Edit: Never mind, this new version is seems broken with the 05/16/2020 FTEQW binaries. Maybe wait for the next release of them.
However the original 0.8.2 datafiles with only the aboved linked files and the 05/16/2020 FTEQW binaries works fine on my system.

Attached Files
.zip   default.fmf.zip (Size: 4.39 KB / Downloads: 2)

Thanks for keeping up with what they are doing!

I never expected this, but thanks!

does this still work or no?
pearl best idol (not pictured); pfp found randomly online

I haven't tried in years, but last time I did the newer versions of Xonotic didn't work with that 0.8.2 FTEQW compatibility files linked above.

I suspect it would be possible to get working again with quite some patience for bug-fixing, but someone else will have to do that. The people on the #fteqw chat are usually quite willing to help if you have specific questions.

(08-18-2023, 01:56 PM)poVoq Wrote: ..

I've been recently been trying to get DarkPlaces to compile for Android.

Your work to preserve DarkPlaces Android source codes have been very helpful.

You are a true friend to open source in my book.

(08-18-2023, 01:56 PM)poVoq Wrote: I suspect it would be possible to get working again with quite some patience for bug-fixing, but someone else will have to do that. The people on the #fteqw chat are usually quite willing to help if you have specific questions.
Same.
Months ago, I tested FTEQW-Xonotic-0.8.2, I see the 1st person player view animation moves like Nexuiz, but statically; the loading screen looks great, appears the loading image, the map in the background and the loading FTEQW bar.
As the txt note file in the compressed zip says that Xonotic has memory leaks, I guess there are some issues in the source code that couldn't be possible to perceive. Looking the development history isn't strange that the compiler isn't FTE anymore since the team decided to change that in order to progress the goals.

I tried to play Xonotic 0.8.5 in FTEQW replacing the 0.8.2 one, but menu fails and shows like a mix of Quake I console and incomplete menu. Also when playing in the map, the HUD doesn't appear, the player spawns and dies (exploded with gibs) instantly, you can't move and do other stuff.
idk if it needs to tweak the macros to handle the flags in the code to make it work.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Porting to XreaL Minkovsky 52 54,530 11-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Last Post: divVerent
  [SUGGESTION] xreal engine? ugluck 3 5,006 06-29-2010, 05:58 PM
Last Post: FruitieX