Create an account

Poll: Do you struggle with poor framerate?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Nah - my GPU boils eggs wirelessly @ 300 FPS with 4k resolution and 16xAA!
35.71%
5 35.71%
Yes - I'd sure enjoy the game with 20 extra frames every second.
64.29%
9 64.29%
Total 14 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SUGGESTION] Ultra Light Xonotic?

Hey!

I don't know 'bout ya, but I keep strugglin' with my poor framerate.

There was a cool thingy called Damn Small Nexuiz years ago - and it made quite a difference.

I wonder if there are more poeple who don't feel like upgrading their hardware any soon, and would like some way to get that 20 frames more every second, no matter how ugly the game will be Wink
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I tend to get fps drops on some crazy large maps (frankish tower) and some small maps with many brushes/models packed in together (eg. reflection, aether) in general it's maps where people don't play competitively in.

I put in these settings to get a decent fps in most arenas:

Resolution: 640x480
Colour depth: 16bit
r_showsurfaces 3 (downside: can't see through warpzones)
OpenGL shaders/effects disabled
Rest of the stuff set as low as possible

This looks very ugly, but pays off by performing efficiently.

(05-31-2014, 03:22 AM)Smilecythe Wrote: I tend to get fps drops on some crazy large maps (frankish tower) and some small maps with many brushes/models packed in together (eg. reflection, aether) in general it's maps where people don't play competitively in.

I put in these settings to get a decent fps in most arenas:

Resolution: 640x480
Colour depth: 16bit
r_showsurfaces 3 (downside: can't see through warpzones)
OpenGL shaders/effects disabled
Rest of the stuff set as low as possible

This looks very ugly, but pays off by performing efficiently.

I tried this, except for the r_showsurfaces 3 (I don't see warpozones at all for some reason) - however at 640x480 it's hard to aim, and people take me down with Nex easily (while they look like 2 pixels on my screen), so I go with 800x600 - yet still I get major performance drops on some maps when looking in a certain directions. Like the engine was not culling the meshes but rendering everything from farthest to closest - maybe this could be corrected somehow?

EDIT: I have also gone 640x480 and r_showsurfaces 3 now - and the performace is much better, at least offline, gonna test this on multiplayer too Smile
I'm making Liblast - a FOSS online FPS game made with Godot 4 and a 100% open-source toolchain

I.. what are you people playing on? Intel GPU laptops?
Any midrange hardware from 2010 should play this game on full details with AA on.

Part of if may be the CPU load, which you can't do very much abt as a user cept for making sure you have as little background junk as possible running.

Depending on your platform, turning r_showsurfaces on and r_glsl off can actually REDUCE your fps.

gl_picmip and gl_picmip_world is generally a far better idea than showsurfaces unless you're on a intel IGP or similar.

glsl is a little more "random", but generally most discreet boards post agp era should be faster with it ON. Do experiment with these (and other) settings; and if you find some significant improvement pls share =)

I've got a ASUS laptop with GeForce 310M.

And r_showsurfaces 3 works great for me in multiplayer too.

try
gl_picmip 1337
gl_picmip_world 1

should be faster than showsurf on that card.

310m should be capable to play it good enough with 'normal' settings
my laptop with 1366x768 handles it without problem

There is a "Simple" Mode that can be activated. Sadly It can't be activated through the GUI.
Read: http://www.xonotic.org/2013/09/halogenes...erception/
It will tell you how to disable a lot of effects and how to activate simple textures and items.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [SUGGESTION] Fix high-ping strobe light effect? Dokujisan 5 6,106 02-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Last Post: chooksta