Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Character Class Mutator

I would really like to see a character class mutator(s) coded into Xonotic, or at least the underlying support for it. There would be several benefits:

1. Another potentially popular game changer like Minstagib.
  2. Another dimension of game-play-depth and replay-ability.
  3. Mutator would work in all game types.
  4. Could especially enhance teamplay modes like CTF, Domination, Onslaught, Assault and Keyhunt.
  5. Would not require new features beyond class system itself and class selection UI.
  6. One of the last features any other shooter has which Xonotic still lacks anyway.
  7. Really fun.
  8. pL0X 1 mU57 h4z 7H15 !1!!!1!

It could be implemented in stages, with even the first stage being playable and later ones adding major enhancements. Example:

Stage 1

1. Ability to modify via .cfg all cvars in physics.cfg per character class.
  2. Ability to modify via .cfg all cvars related to health / armor per character class.
  3. Random character class selection upon spawning.

Stage 2

1. Ability to modify via .cfg starting weapon per character class.
  2. Ability to modify via .cfg if equipped with jetpack or grapple hook per character class.
  3. Player ability to choose his/her character class for each respawn.

Stage 3

1. Ability to modify via .cfg what items can be picked up per character class.
  2. Ability to modify via .cfg if equipped with fuel-regen jetpack or grapple hook per character class.

Optional

1. Ability to modify via .cfg bounding box dimensions and origin per character class.
  2. Ability to modify via .cfg bounding weapon origin per character class.
  3. Ability to modify via .cfg AI per character class.

A similar project was started by Psychcf a while back for Nexuiz. I think his files are still available HERE.

The trouble is, I have only started teaching myself C/C++ very recently and the nightmarish lack of reason and tools behind the QuakeC "language" would make it hopeless for me to do this myself in the near future.

So could/should I add this as a feature in the dev tracker?

Is there anyone with a knowledge or interest in QuakeC who'd take a shot at implementing this? I do know how to model and texture, so maybe I could in return do some content that you want/need for your own pet feature. Wink
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

I worked on that for a day or two, just to learn QuakeC. It was easy, but I wasn't good at modeling, and the weapons system is a bit confusing, so I kind of ran into a wall. I asked on the forums for someone to make models for me, but couldn't find anything. Someone who knows what they're doing could do it in a week though, excluding models.

Also, I would probably rewrite it from scratch, since that mod was done with SVN code that's ancient at this point.

By the way, I don't remember seeing any documentation for Nexuiz/Xonotic's code anywhere, does such a thing exist? I feel like people would have a way better time working on it if there was some docs explaining things like how the weapons system works, etc.

Applying physics per player is not possible until CSQC players are finished. I would wait till that is complete.

(07-15-2010, 01:46 AM)DiaboliK Wrote: Applying physics per player is not possible until CSQC players are finished. I would wait till that is complete.

Actually, using dirty hacks it is :-P
Like sending the modified physics cvars independently to each client.
Still, better wait for CSQC players
Links to my: SoundCloud and bandcamp accounts

So what is CSQC players? A recode of the player code in an even newer 'dialect' of QuakeC?

And is there an entry for it somewhere on the dev tracker or such where I could follow the progress on it?

(07-14-2010, 11:47 PM)psychcf Wrote: I worked on that for a day or two, just to learn QuakeC. It was easy, but I wasn't good at modeling, and the weapons system is a bit confusing, so I kind of ran into a wall. I asked on the forums for someone to make models for me, but couldn't find anything. Someone who knows what they're doing could do it in a week though, excluding models.

Also, I would probably rewrite it from scratch, since that mod was done with SVN code that's ancient at this point.

So you got stuck on weapons, but were you able to mod the physics and health/armor per class?

Would you be interested in giving this another go if you had someone working on the models you wanted?

Quote:By the way, I don't remember seeing any documentation for Nexuiz/Xonotic's code anywhere, does such a thing exist? I feel like people would have a way better time working on it if there was some docs explaining things like how the weapons system works, etc.

I looked but I don't see anything that seemed much newer than the original quake engine release. Either way you still have the QC knowledge barrier though. I mean there's some documentation for the language, but the language itself is convoluted and limited, and there's got to be a lot of bugs in the tools since Xonotic is the only thing left in the universe that still actively uses it.

It almost makes me wonder if Xonotic would be better off ported to XreaL. Almost.
(04-01-2010, 11:21 AM)Roanoke Wrote: Yes, beveled edges are more futuristic. Like BSG and their beveled paper.
But only on one edge.

So could someone tell me what CSQC players is exactly or where I could find out more about it and its implementation progress?
But only on one edge.

All I know about them is that they will also let us choose how our opponents look (like warsow).
(07-18-2010, 10:59 AM)Flying Steel Wrote: How could anyone with ADHD tell its a high damage weapon if it wasn't a gigantic metal cock fucking the map whenever a player gets within 3 meters of a wall?

[Image: di-712770583645.png]

CSQC players is about moving player handling and networking out of the engine, where they can't be improved due to compatibility and legacy requirements, into the game code where devs can have full control over everything, including animations, prediction, models, etc.

Sounds promising, thanks for the info. Is there any word on when this might happen? Like is it slated for the version after 1.0?
But only on one edge.

There is no set date on when it will be finished. There is simply way too much to do.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Offhand blaster mutator Lyberta 1 2,212 02-19-2018, 11:56 AM
Last Post: sev
  [TUTORIAL] Writing your first mutator Lyberta 0 2,300 04-29-2017, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Lyberta
  Enabling/disabling a mutator Zeo 3 3,878 09-23-2014, 03:56 PM
Last Post: Mr. Bougo
Lightbulb What do you think of my mutator? (Chaos Arena) W4RP1G 2 3,694 04-18-2012, 01:57 AM
Last Post: W4RP1G
  Proposed character voicepack demo bitbomb 9 9,499 11-18-2011, 05:32 AM
Last Post: MirceaKitsune