Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newbie questions

Hi, i'm Alxa from the clan 'Koos'. I want to get into Xonotic in the future, but i have some questions:
  • How can i stop the bots from moving?
  • How can i make the bots to move faster?
  • How can i set all the bots against me? (like in "coop mode" in Red Eclipse)
  • How active is the dueling community?
  • Which maps are the most used for duels?
  • Which movement options -apart from strafe jumping- do you have? (i have seen a guy climbing a wall, but i don't know how to do it)

Also, I know how ping works, but what can i do to make it less "problematic"?

In an old post i found this command:

/cl_netfps 20

Does it work?, or it is just placebo?

I'm from Mexico and in the only servers with people i have 200+ ping

Thanks in advance!
Visit our clan webpage: deleted new one >SOON<

Visit the Koos Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqeB0k8...BTGS_MCFhA

(07-20-2017, 05:31 PM)Matadula Wrote: Hi, i'm Alxa from the clan 'Koos'. I want to get into Xonotic in the future, but i have some questions:
  • How can i stop the bots from moving?
  • How can i make the bots to move faster?
  • How can i set all the bots against me? (like in "coop mode" in Red Eclipse)
  • How active is the dueling community?
  • Which maps are the most used for duels?
  • Which movement options -apart from strafe jumping- do you have? (i have seen a guy climbing a wall, but i don't know how to do it)

Also, I know how ping works, but what can i do to make it less "problematic"?

In an old post i found this command:

/cl_netfps 20

Does it work?, or it is just placebo?

I'm from Mexico and in the only servers with people i have 200+ ping

Thanks in advance!

I can't answer all these questions but:

- Bots moving faster
I don't think you can. They have the same "stats" as players, and their AI doesn't include movement skills that players can learn. In the install folder, data/xonotic-<release>-data.pk3, there's bots.txt which is the parameters for their behavior, but even setting to a high value, they're still limited to forward+jump.

- Dueling community
Is very active in Europe. It's easy to find someone sitting in a duel server for European servers. In North America, I don't think anyone really sits on servers on a consistent basis.

- Popular duel maps
Aerowalk (filename: hub3aeroq3a_nex_r4.pk3). The runner-ups are probably Finalrage, Fuse, Bloodrun, and Warfare.

- Movement options
Besides the ones inherited from Quake engine, there's mid-air rocket jumps, and crylink self-pulling. Xonotic maps tend to have a lot of ramps on them and are designed around ramp jumping; some of the smallest of slanted surfaces has some use. Wall-climbing, you probably meant Hagar-climbing (a lot like plasma in Quake)?

- 200+ ping
This is the latency I get when trying to connect to Europe. You might have decent ping for US West servers. The command you mentioned, its probably better to have 60 fps, but I don't think it helps ping all that much. I don't exactly recall what, but I think it mainly helps the case when you look like you are teleporting around to other players.
Since you're playing with your clan, you could have a clan server set up.

(07-20-2017, 05:31 PM)Matadula Wrote: Which movement options -apart from strafe jumping- do you have? (i have seen a guy climbing a wall, but i don't know how to do it)
Here's some trickjumps you can do by foot and with weapons:

There's no way to physically climb a wall, but there's many ways that it might appear that you're climbing a wall. Like those ramp jumps at 1 minute mark.
There's also a technique called "surfing" which is basically sliding up a slanted wall, which is too steep for you to stand on to or to jump off of. Here's an example from another game and it works more the less the same in Xonotic.

Hi and welcome to Xonotic! You may also want to have a look at the Newbie Corner!
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

Judging from the fact you are asking about dueling, I assume you are an experienced player in the FPS scene. If not, don't be fooled by Smilecythe. He's one of the very few, if not the only one, that can do all those difficult jumps, and likely backwards, with ease. Most of us just get by with basic movement, and on top of everyone who does basic movement, I have crappy aiming, too. I still have a ton of fun.

Thanks for your responses, guys.

>Antares

I can't find "Aerowalk" and "Bloodrun". Are they unofficial maps?

"In the install folder, data/xonotic-<release>-data.pk3, there's bots.txt which is the parameters for their behavior"

Do i need an specific software to open .pk3 files?, i tryed with notepad (windows) but it got freezed

"you probably meant Hagar-climbing"

Nah, i got confused haha. I saw it in a video, but now that i rewatched it, i noticed the guy just used the wall lamp to climb.

"Since you're playing with your clan, you could have a clan server set up."

Yeah, i was thinking about doing that in the future, i don't think there is a Mexican server

>Smilecythe

Wow, you move incredible!, i will try to do some of your moves.

Also, have you played Red Eclipse?

>Halogene

Thanks!, i will

>BuddyFriendGuy

Only in Red Eclipse, but i'm currently trying to get into Quake 3 (and Xonotic after that). Sadly, I fell in love with dueling until i was 23 years (and with arena shooters until i was 21). So, i have to recover the time lost :/

"He's one of the very few, if not the only one, that can do all those difficult jumps"

Yeah, i noticed Big Grin
Visit our clan webpage: deleted new one >SOON<

Visit the Koos Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqeB0k8...BTGS_MCFhA

Aerowalk and Bloodrun are not official maps. If you play on a server and you're missing map that is about to be played, the game will automatically download it. You can also download maps manually from a site like http://xonotic.co/ . In that case you need to place them next to your config file (~/.xonotic/data on Linux, C:\Users\<YOURNAME>\Saved Games\xonotic\data on windows, /Library/Application Support/xonotic/data (????) on Mac).

.pk3 files are just renamed .zip files, so any archive viewer should be able to open them.

(07-27-2017, 10:23 AM)Matadula Wrote: Also, have you played Red Eclipse?
Once upon a time, yes Cool

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Questions about moovie making. Andrii 8 8,000 03-28-2014, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Andrii
  [SOLVED] A few questions regarding the configuration language Melanosuchus 16 15,107 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM
Last Post: Melanosuchus