Create an account

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
[SOLVED] XDWC - how to read the meter?

Xonoticians,
I haven't done defrag for a while and I noticed there's this new color meter when I join XDWC servers. It has color bars and a needle bar that expand to the left and right. How do I read it? (Maybe it was answered somewhere already but I don't know how to search for it.)

The implementation of that bar is new to me as well. I would expect that you get the best acceleration if you manage to keep it as close as possible to the bright green line but on the green side of the meter. Would be helpful if someone would explain it in a bit more detail just to make sure :o)
My Xonstats Profile
Latest track on soundcloud: Farewell - to a better Place (piano improvisation)
New to Xonotic? Check out the Newbie Corner!

(10-26-2020, 03:43 AM)Halogene Wrote: The implementation of that bar is new to me as well. I would expect that you get the best acceleration if you manage to keep it as close as possible to the bright green line but on the green side of the meter. Would be helpful if someone would explain it in a bit more detail just to make sure :o)

Thanks, @Halogene!

I'm attaching two screenshots -- hopefully it shows all available marks to help with the discussion. These are the marks I've seen (I think):
  • A blue bracket on the left, sometimes on the right
  • A violet horizontal bar
  • Left green horizontal bar
  • Right green horizontal bar (sometimes it shows with the left green horizontal bar, but I failed to capture that exact moment)
  • A transparent horizontal bar
  • A long tick that seems to stay in the middle, but its color changes
  • A bright blue tick
  • A short yellow tick
By the way, anybody knows whether the source code for this is open?

.png   pic1.png (Size: 505.6 KB / Downloads: 74)

.png   pic2.png (Size: 707.92 KB / Downloads: 72)

After rewatching XDF Academy's first episode, I'm guessing:

1. I'm pretty sure the long tick staying in the middle is simply where we are facing now. 
  2. The bars of color "violet green white green violet" represent over-aiming (violet left), accelerating (green left), non-accelerating (white), accelerating (green-right), over-aiming (violet right). According to the video, if we want to accelerate for the most of the time, we (the long tick) want to stay in the green region as much as possible (it moves, so we need to move our mouse accordingly). The white region has no effect, while the violet regions will decelerate.
  3. I'm guessing either the blue tick, or the short yellow tick is where we are moving toward. However, I'm not sure which is which.
  4. The blue bracket probably is just a general mark showing which direction we are moving toward.
I still have no idea about those blue and yellow ticks. Anybody knows what they mean?

Or put simply: You have to keep the moving green bar centered by strafing in either direction. The rest is more or less eyecandy.

The yellow is just the mirrored to the side you'ge not using because the dev loves symmetry.
As long as you're inside the green area you're making speed. If you're in the purple you're losing speed. And the green bar marks the spot where you gain the most speed/have highest acceleration. And the drop in accel. from the sweet spot to the sides is quite significant.

An optimal run thus means: Green bar is centered the whole time and you switch strafing sides precise in no time.

Thank you, @_para. This is super helpful.